October 28th, 2012 | EarthBound, Videos

Sometimes it’s tough to explain why EarthBound stands out so much from other games of the 16-bit era. “It doesn’t have magic and dragons!” is sort of the cliche, unimpressive way, but if you sit down to point out what happens throughout the story it quickly becomes clear how weird the game is. Here’s a good example, courtesy of The Offender:

When presented in this rapid-fire, compressed format it almost sounds like some crazy made-up game they’d talk about offhandedly in a TV sitcom or something, kinda like the “Two more swords and I’m Queen of the Monkey People!” line in Roseanne, heh.

19 Comments to Compressed EarthBound Weirdness

Christie said on Oct. 28, 2012

That was actually quite hilarious.

Earthbounder said on Oct. 28, 2012

Seems legit. šŸ™‚

Fayorei said on Oct. 28, 2012

When I saw Meatwad in the preview, I knew this would be a winner. Awesome!

“‘Two more swords and Iā€™m Queen of the Monkey People!’ line in Roseanne, heh.”

Also, that part was an awesome reference. I still remember the episode because of the whole SNES thing.

Detailed said on Oct. 28, 2012

While I did technically enjoy that and chuckled at it every now and then… the use of the term “retards” at one point, did very much offend me as someone who deals with disabled children, and I almost turned it off right there.

I stuck with it though, and can definitely forgive him for using the term, and the majority of the video I did find entertaining and funny. But that part was just a hair above the line of good taste.

Chopo Rarru said on Oct. 28, 2012

Yeah, I agree with Detailed on this issue. I really wish people would stop throwing around this horrid term with such lightness. Have some consideration for the human beings that have to live their whole lives with the disability.

Anonymous said on Oct. 28, 2012

Quite watching after “the games ends with a alien fetus”

Why won’t the fetus crap die? If I could build I time machine, I would use it to go back in time and beat the crap out of whatever idiot first posted that “theory”

CerealQueen said on Oct. 28, 2012

Fetus? Why not go into the believed “Jeff and Tony are lovers?” or how messed up Magicant is? What about the belief of the EB Cult?
We all know EarthBound is much weirder than that.

Though it was humorous, the entire thing kind of sounded like an insult. I think it was the tone of his voice..

flintlockdoorknob said on Oct. 28, 2012

Tony does love Jeff though…..

jinxkatty7 said on Oct. 28, 2012

Mr. Saturn ARE NOT RETARDS!!!!

MrKoopan said on Oct. 28, 2012

this was hilarious, and CerealQueen, how did this sound like an insult? (oh yeah…his voice) at least at the end he says it’s a great game šŸ™‚

Jungyin said on Oct. 28, 2012

@flintlockdoorknob
But does Jeff love Tony? Reciprocity is required for them to count as “lovers”.

CerealQueen said on Oct. 28, 2012

MrKoopan, I guess not so much of an insult, but his tone just wasn’t nice. Also the way he phrased things.

I don’t know. I guess I have just read things that sound similar that bash the game rather than praise. lol

Alex said on Oct. 28, 2012

Earthbound is such a weird game probably the weirdest story of any game that I have ever played and really I have never even come close to explaining the story to any of my friends, when asked to describe the story of Earthbound to them I simply say its a weird game but in a good way. šŸ™‚

BusterTheFox said on Oct. 28, 2012

My older sister and I used to watch Roseanne all the time! xD I remember that line, it was right at the end of that episode…

I personally never really looked that deeply into the story. Now that I hear it told basically as it is, I’ve just realized how odd it truly is. Now I feel like playing through it a third time. :O

Christopher Bell said on Oct. 29, 2012

Not sure why the “fetus theory” is getting people all riled up. It’s still very interesting.

The video brings up a good point that I constantly forget: the party has a hallucination, the player takes control of Poo, and at the end he joins you. But is he imaginary? If so, why are you able to visit Dalaam and interact with people all the same?

DS Piron said on Oct. 31, 2012

I’m thinking something more like a psychic vision dream, or something…

The Great Morgil said on Oct. 31, 2012

Goddangit i’m so sick of that completely un-true fetus bull-crap.

Rest of it was funny as heck though.

Matteomax said on Nov. 10, 2012