October 21st, 2012 | Auctions, EarthBound

I think it’s well-known by now that a common thing on eBay is that a small group of people will snatch up all the EarthBound copies they can and then turn around and sell them for a much higher markup. That’s partly why I made BuyEarthBound.com, actually.

But for actual reference, I thought I’d give an example. Right now, there’s about roughly 38 copies of EarthBound for sale on eBay:

And here are all the copies of EarthBound available from one seller:

As of the time of this post, there are ten copies of EarthBound there. Meaning this one seller has 1/4 of the EarthBound supply on eBay.

Now, dealing in buying/selling of games IS a business, so I won’t fault anyone for that. I mainly wanted to point out a reason WHY the EarthBound market is what it is. In the end, the average price of the game wouldn’t be so high if buyers weren’t willing to pay it.

Still, I AM curious to know what level EarthBound prices will level out at. Then again, there was this. And this. So who knows 😛

13 Comments to A Look at the EarthBound Market

Xi said on Oct. 21, 2012

I’m wondering how the approaching death of the batteries within SNES cartridges will affect the pricing of EB carts.

Apple Kid said on Oct. 21, 2012

@Xi probably not much, people will just replace the battery. Even if they don’t know about snes cart batteries a google search could fix that.

Halloween said on Oct. 21, 2012

Maybe we should start an “Earthbound Is Worthless!” campaign?

Earthbounder said on Oct. 21, 2012

Wow that’s crazy. One person has that much influence on the market. None of their prices are cheap.

Tourist said on Oct. 22, 2012

Holy crap. I remember when I bought my first copy of Earthbound used from Software Ect. for only $30. Granted, that was about double the price of the other SNES games… but this getting ridiculous.

neonix said on Oct. 22, 2012

Wow, someone really paid $184 for the cardboard insert??

This is making me consider selling the insert from my set…

deshayzilla said on Oct. 22, 2012

I agree with Halloween. The Earthbound is Worthless campaign will really drive down prices. So will people refusing to pay these ridiculous prices.

Hitoshi said on Oct. 22, 2012

I like the idea of the campaign, but “Earthbound is Priceless” sounds better to be. I like the fact that worthless is a negative adjective like the “Earthbound Stinks!” campaign, but Priceless also gets across the same point.

manoverboard1619 said on Oct. 22, 2012

holy crap an earthbound i was watching just went for 305.00

Fayorei said on Oct. 28, 2012

I finally broke down and bought a cart from eBay, but I think I kinda got lucky especially looking at that one guy’s cart-only prices. Sadly, I misplaced my original copy- the one I got from Toys R Us so many years ago for $30. I probably lost the box first, then the guide, and the cart is somewhere at my childhood house, but no clue where.

This tends to happen to a bunch of games though. I’ve been checking eBay more, and so many people just slap “RARE!” on like every single game.

Matteomax said on Nov. 9, 2012

Hmm, the value is slowly dropping.

I’ve had many experiences with prices raising and falling, sine recently I’ve been playing Skylanders (the game where toys are basically characters you can unlock.)..

Pinwheel said on Nov. 26, 2012

If you want a new copy of earthbound you can buy it off of Amazon for the low, low price of just $19,995.50! 😀