EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

September 20th, 2012 | Itoi

Nadia posted a big article about Shigesato Itoi over on 1UP.com, check it out here!

9 Comments to Your Mother: Shigesato Itoi

Starstorm said on Sep. 20, 2012

I must say that was a good read. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing this article.

edgethelucas said on Sep. 20, 2012

Finally–after years of tons of journalists either getting their facts wrong or only accepting EarthBound at face value, I’ve finally read an article written on a POPULAR gaming web site that does not just an acceptable but GREAT write-up on this game. God, I have always bemoaned authors who just barely describe the game as the RPG set in a parody of America that’s funny and then spoiling the final battle for everyone. Nadia at the very least shows no pics of Giygas and justifies our love of the game. Even though I won’t forgive her spoilers of the other aspects of the game she did a wonderful job.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Sep. 20, 2012

Gotta agree, this was an awesome read as well. And I like 1-UP as well, so that’s a bonus…

Brooklyn said on Sep. 20, 2012

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was “Studio Ghibli,” and what do I read in the article? Ghibli. Nice.

Retro Girl said on Sep. 21, 2012

I love Studio Ghibli! They need to make an Earthbound movie! (It needs to come to the UK too!) Mr. Saturn would look CUTE!

Carl said on Sep. 25, 2012

The article says:

“The game wasn’t thoroughly play tested, so the original Famicom release has some nasty game-ending bugs in addition to balancing issues.”

I’m inclined to agree with the balancing issues, but what game-ending bugs did Mother have? I don’t believe I’m aware of any.

Mato said on Sep. 25, 2012

Yeah, there’s a way to get to the end battle but not have all the melodies. I first heard about it when the first prototype cart was bought by some kid around 2000:

Carl said on Sep. 25, 2012

Thanks for the info. I haven’t played it in a while–can you just go into the final battle without having gotten all the melodies, or does the game actually protect against that, but in a way that can be defeated via a glitch or something?

Mato said on Sep. 25, 2012

I’m not really sure, I think you can avoid getting any of them and it’ll still let you get to the end. I’ve never done it and never really looked into it, so I don’t know the details. Sounds like something interesting to look into sometime though!