Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #37
Earthbound Super Nintendo SNES Cartridge Cart Game Earth Bound

September 14th, 2012 | MOTHER 1, Videos

There’s a small group of awesome people on the Something Awful forums that’s been translating Game Center CX episodes for the past year or two. If you’ve never heard of it, Game Center CX is a Japanese show about retro video games and was what the DS game Retro Game Challenge was based on.

In the most recent SAGCCX release is a small side-segment featuring a scene from MOTHER:

While we’re on the subject of Game Center CX, an official English DVD release is coming out in just a few weeks, translated by the same awesome lady who’s been doing most of these fan translations on Something Awful. You can pre-order it at a discount on Amazon here.

Game Center CX is one of my favorite shows, so if you’re like me and like retro games, check out the series sometime!

11 Comments to MOTHER Retro Read-Aloud

Poe said on Sep. 14, 2012

DO YOU KNOW THE KACHOOOO?!

poben said on Sep. 14, 2012

all the stuff you post out of Japan seems to be Mother rather than Earthbound related. it’s crazy how much more love Mother seems to get.

Halloween said on Sep. 14, 2012

I love Game Center CX! I keep hoping someday he plays Mother, but I guess it might be hard for him to beat in a day.

Daniel said on Sep. 14, 2012

@poben

I always thought MOTHER was unjustly disliked by western Earthbound fans. The way I see it, MOTHER is a well-written and charming game which suffers from the same problems that plagued most NES-era RPGs. Its copy-and-paste DQ battle system is boring and obtuse, there’s too much grinding involved, and selecting actions from a menu every time you want to talk or check your inventory is tedious.

Most of these faults were fixed in Earthbound, which also expanded the world and introduced the innovative rolling HP meter and overworld enemy sprites. EB’s gameplay is just more enjoyable and memorable than its predecessor’s. Earthbound was also extremely similar in terms of characters and themes, so it comes off as an expanded remake of MOTHER. Since Earthbound was the only one to get a US release, American fans who had played EB first could only see where MOTHER was a downgrade rather than judge it as its own game.

I’m sure that if MOTHER had been released in the US as Earth Bound as was originally intended, the few Americans who had actually played that game on NES would have fond memories of it the way Japanese fans do. In fact, it’s probably because I played it before I played Earthbound that I can appreciate it so much.

NecrosaroIII said on Sep. 14, 2012

I’ve always gotten a feeling from Japanese sites that it is Mother that is viewed as the classic in the series. Not to say that M2 and M3 are unpopular, but that when fans nostalgia, they nostalgia for the NES game.

Tayo said on Sep. 14, 2012

I think it’s a shame that Mother doesn’t get as enough attention as the other 2. (Well, I have only beaten Mother, but I just bought Earthbound on ebay, so I’m sure I’ll love it too.)

the cow said on Sep. 14, 2012

this guy’s a spazz it’s awsome.

Pichu said on Sep. 16, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing this show with us Mato 🙂

Asok said on Sep. 18, 2012

Game Center CX: Kacho ON!

MotherFan said on Sep. 24, 2012

That was pretty awesome I wish they had something like this in america.

MotherFan said on Sep. 24, 2012

Oh and by the way IM ANDONUTS YEAH!!!