September 19th, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking, MOTHER 1

A while back H.S posted a new map for the MOTHER/EarthBound Zero remake hack that’s underway. This time it’s the big desert area!

For reference, here’s what it looks like in the original game:

I think the new map is still incomplete and subject to change, but I’m really impressed at how well it’s turned out! I could never have done anything of this quality myself!

If you want to keep tabs on the remake hack project, follow this forum thread!

16 Comments to MOTHER Remake: Desert Map

ExKage said on Sep. 19, 2012

I love it! Granted I’m not very knowledgeable about the project or MOTHER/Earthbound Zero but it’s pretty awesome. At first I thought it referred to a location in MOTHER 2/ Earthbound and then I realized that it wasn’t the same thing I was thinking about. I’ll be checking the forum thread now!

HyperBound said on Sep. 19, 2012

H.S. has done a really good job of scaling down the maps, while still retaining the same overall feel of the originals. Looking forward to the finished hack!

Starstorm said on Sep. 19, 2012

Man! I cant wait for this hack to come out. Its going to a really fun experience. You’re doing a great thing H.S. keep doing what your doing.

Mill said on Sep. 19, 2012

Looks like a short plane ride.

Poe said on Sep. 19, 2012

This is my favorite map so far! I had to do an extensive search to find the cactus. I really love how the desert ruins are laid out.

derp said on Sep. 19, 2012

Did you guys notice the infinity sign and the peace symbol on the old map? I wonder what were they for? Looking forward to the remake!

Ampersand said on Sep. 19, 2012

I’m personally looking forward to see how they pull the plane ride off.

Nate said on Sep. 20, 2012

Stop underselling yourself Tomato, you could of done this yourself!

Yorkshire Gold said on Sep. 20, 2012

Goddamn, it really makes you realise just how HUGE the original EB0 maps are. The team’s done a good job of scaling everything down though.

Retro Girl said on Sep. 21, 2012

Woah! That’s awesome! Could you make one of Saturn Valley? (I LOVE MR. SATURN!!!!)

Anonymous said on Sep. 21, 2012

Mr. Saturn already was in EarthBound, but wasn’t in EB0

PiePusher11 said on Sep. 24, 2012

You’re still going to have the land mine, right?

Rocky said on Sep. 24, 2012

Do the maps have to be so much smaller? Is that a limitation of Mother 2’s?

Mato said on Sep. 24, 2012

EarthBound Zero’s world map is 16384×14384: http://starmen.net/mother1/miscinfo/maps/eb0map_big.png

In comparison, EarthBound’s world map is only 8192×10240 in size: http://starmen.net/mother2/maps/fullmap.png

Rocky said on Sep. 24, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up!

uyuyuy99 said on Sep. 24, 2012

@Mato: Yeah, and that means EB0’s map is approximately 3 times larger than EB’s map… very impressive how the NES game has such a larger map. They did have a more macro way of storing it though.