September 27th, 2012 | Images, MOTHER 3

joe the worlds largest nerd sent this in:

okay, so when my mom got me this months issue of ONM, i got a magazine called “retro gamer”. and there was a section named “20 nintendo games you never played”, and mother 3 was in it! it mentions the fan translation as well! and it also shows the writers dont have their nicknames well, because they called earthbound zero just earthbound. i got a photo of it [and a capri sun] here.

I can’t really read what it says – can anyone with this magazine share know what it says? I’m also curious to know what other games are on the list!

23 Comments to MOTHER 3 in Retro Gamer

NCS said on Sep. 27, 2012

I’m flattered!

Mato said on Sep. 27, 2012

Haha, you’re the first person I thought of when I read the e-mail 😛

KingDarian said on Sep. 27, 2012

The game to the left is For the Frog the Bell Tolls (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru).

Retro Gamer is sold at some places here in the US, although at a premium price since it’s a UK import. I remember seeing an issue at a Barnes & Noble, and it had a blurb about EarthBound in one of the articles. I can’t remember exactly what, though.

man said on Sep. 27, 2012

DAMMIT, I found this and utterly forgot to take a photo!

NorthofOnett said on Sep. 27, 2012

Here everybody; I was able to snag a screenshot of the Mother 3 excerpt:

Mato said on Sep. 27, 2012

Cool, thanks! As reward, if you have an account here I can give you a custom comment icon if you want. Or not, just offering it 😛

NorthofOnett said on Sep. 27, 2012

And in case you were wondering what other games were on the list, here they are as follows:

20. Tingle’s Baloon Fight (DS)
19. Devil World (NES)
18. Pro Wrestling (NES)
17. For the Frog the Bell Tolls (GB)
16. Mother 3 (GBA)
15. Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (GBC)
14. StarTropics (NES)
13. Excitebike: Bun Bun Mario Battle Stadium (SFC)
12. Captain Rainbow (Wii)
11. Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
10. Solar Striker (GB)
9. Mole Mania (GB)
8. Drill Dozer (GBA)
7. Doshin the Giant (GCN)
6. Clu Clu Land (NES)
5. Joy Mech Fight (FC)
4. Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA)
3. Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii)
2. Sky Skipper (arcade)
1. Arm Wrestling (arcade)

NorthofOnett said on Sep. 27, 2012

Oh hey thanks Mato! Yeah, guess I should have created an account sooner huh 😛

BB Gang Zombie said on Sep. 27, 2012

May I just say I _loved_ Mole Mania as a kid. (#9 on this list)
It’s on the Virtual Console on 3DS, and if you like puzzle games, I highly recommend it! It starts out simple but towards the middle of the game, the puzzles get sorta difficult.

StarlightNight said on Sep. 27, 2012

Woah, that’s pretty neat still seeing Mother related stuff still pop up in gaming magazines. I would love to pick up this particular issue of ONM myself, but I live in the U.S. and I’ve NEVER seen it at any bookstores or newstands where I live. >_>

It does make me wonder, though, how much longer will current magazines (such as ONM) still be around. I mean, good ‘ol Nintendo Power, one of gaming’s longest running game magazines is going under with its last issue this December (more proof the world is going to end this year?). Not only that, but the U.K. magazine, Nintendo Gamer just shut its doors recently as well. Let’s not forget Gamepro has been gone a little while ago.

It sure will pain me to see the day when EarthBound Central will no longer having stories related EarthBound info being spotted in gaming mags. 🙁

Leeaux said on Sep. 27, 2012

After reading the excerpt, I don’t know that I’d call it a stand alone game.

Punky said on Sep. 27, 2012

I’ve just started playing Mother 3 for the first time. I had finshed Earthbound about 2 months ago and I love that game. I didn’t think Mother 3 would be as great as Earthbound, or even surpass it.

Mill said on Sep. 27, 2012

For the Frog the Bell Tolls! Awesome little gem of a game.

maskedsaturn said on Sep. 27, 2012

I wish I had a Mr. Saturn icon 🙁

TheNessEB said on Sep. 27, 2012

No way! Never knew you were on EarthBoundCentral NCS!

linkdude20002001 said on Sep. 28, 2012

Doshin the Giant…? Brings back memories. 🙂

KingOfSwords said on Sep. 28, 2012

I loved For the Frog the Bell Tolls!

I’m a little bit surprised that they said Mother 3 had a troubled development including the SNES.

joe the worlds largest nerd STRIKES AGAIN said on Sep. 28, 2012

YES! YES! thanks for putting it into earthbound central! i was waiting for this moment!
also, here is the list:
6:clu clu land
4: kuru kuru kuruin
3:exitebots:trick racing
2:sky skipper
1:arm wrestling
heres the description of mother 3:
“the original mother [known as earthbound outside japan] was only released in japan, though its super nintendo sequel saw global release and was widely seen as being an improvement over its predecessor.
but its the third game, which had a troubled development cycle spanning the SNES, 64DD and N64 before finally getting remade and released for the GBA, that most fan regard as the pinnacle of the series. it boasts a new cast and setting, and its a standalone adventure with humor, weighty themes, likeable characters and memorable moments. though it was never released outside japan, an english translation patch is available. so given that you needn’t have played the previous games to enjoy it, what are you waiting for?”
also, you can expect more messages from me, whether earthboundy or not.
im also gonna give some joebound info soon, so stay tuned!

joe the worlds largest nerd STRIKES AGAIN said on Sep. 28, 2012

@starlight night:its retro gamer, not ONM. also, there was a mention of earthbound in ONM too, but it was only two fan covers by somebody by the name of nessPSI.
im also facepalming at seeing people already posting the list.

Onilink said on Sep. 28, 2012

I remember when UK magazine NGamer did a feature on MOTHER 3, they had an interview with Itoi and everything.

Starmyster04 said on Sep. 29, 2012

I bought that yesterday!

Archaic Sage said on Sep. 29, 2012

@StarlightNight – Nintendo Gamer and Nintendo Power were both run by Future, who are consolidating their magazine business due to high costs.

The US is a challenging market simply due to the size of the place, the UK is a little easier as it takes only a day to get all the magazines across the country for subscribers.

RetroGamer is published by Imagine Publishing, who do all sorts of magazines from Space to Gaming, so I’d imagine it’ll be around for a lot longer. Not to mention that other publishers are still selling Anime magazines in the UK, which is so niche you can barely buy blu-rays on most releases.

With this in mind, I’d be surprised if the UK lost any more major magazines and RetroGamer, being as niche as it is, will continue on for a while yet. If not in paper, but as e-magazines.

MotherFan said on Oct. 1, 2012

I have a japanese RPG that was in that.
I feel special.