An EarthBound 64 Petition Surprise
Over on my personal site I’ve been doing a lot of Final Fantasy IV-related stuff lately. Part of this quest recently led me to buy a rare Japanese gaming magazine from 1993 (Dengeki Super Famicom, Issue #6). By sheer luck, it happened to have some MOTHER 2 coverage – take a look!
The game wasn’t released for another year and a half after this, so there’s still some early content in here that got changed before the final version. Here’s what I found through just a quick glance – see what else there is!
First is that this lady in Fourside seems to have the wrong color hair, and I’m not even 100% sure she’s there in the final version (and Ness has no backpack):
Next, we can see that the trees in Winters are still in their pre-final release form:
And we also see that the cabin Paula is trapped in looks way different from the final version:
The article actually is like, “Just which one is the trapped one and which one is the one who’s doing the saving?” It reminded me a lot of the Lost Underworld, where the Tendas act like the dinosaurs are in the caged area when it’s the other way around.
You know, it looks like most of these pictures actually come from this preview video from 1992, oddly enough. Interesting, I didn’t make that connection before.
If you haven’t seen any beta EarthBound/MOTHER 2 stuff before, check out the stuff here! It really needs to be updated sometime, but there’s lots of stuff there 😀
And, on a semi-random note, if you happened to like my MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound comparison stuff, I’ve been working on comparing a few other games since then – check it out here! So far I’ve done Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, and I’m currently working on Final Fantasy IV. FFIV is gonna be the end of me, I just know it 😯
Other Related Posts:
11 Comments to MOTHER 2 in Dengeki SFC #6
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...