September 24th, 2012 | EarthBound, Images, Uncommon Knowledge

Over on my personal site I’ve been doing a lot of Final Fantasy IV-related stuff lately. Part of this quest recently led me to buy a rare Japanese gaming magazine from 1993 (Dengeki Super Famicom, Issue #6). By sheer luck, it happened to have some MOTHER 2 coverage – take a look!

The game wasn’t released for another year and a half after this, so there’s still some early content in here that got changed before the final version. Here’s what I found through just a quick glance – see what else there is!

First is that this lady in Fourside seems to have the wrong color hair, and I’m not even 100% sure she’s there in the final version (and Ness has no backpack):

Next, we can see that the trees in Winters are still in their pre-final release form:

And we also see that the cabin Paula is trapped in looks way different from the final version:

The article actually is like, “Just which one is the trapped one and which one is the one who’s doing the saving?” It reminded me a lot of the Lost Underworld, where the Tendas act like the dinosaurs are in the caged area when it’s the other way around.

You know, it looks like most of these pictures actually come from this preview video from 1992, oddly enough. Interesting, I didn’t make that connection before.

If you haven’t seen any beta EarthBound/MOTHER 2 stuff before, check out the stuff here! It really needs to be updated sometime, but there’s lots of stuff there 😀

And, on a semi-random note, if you happened to like my MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound comparison stuff, I’ve been working on comparing a few other games since then – check it out here! So far I’ve done Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, and I’m currently working on Final Fantasy IV. FFIV is gonna be the end of me, I just know it 😯

11 Comments to MOTHER 2 in Dengeki SFC #6

Apple Kid said on Sep. 24, 2012

Pretty cool. I’d also like to point out Jeff doesn’t have the Balloon monkey but this could be just because they didn’t get him before the screen shot was taken.

Earthbounder said on Sep. 24, 2012

On the fourside screenshot there’s a sprite i havent seen before. :0

uyuyuy99 said on Sep. 24, 2012

Pretty sure the guy the player is talking to in the Dusty Dunes screen is normally in his convertible instead of standing outside, and there’s more than just that one guy. Also, I think the circle of people surrounding Everdred may be tighter than normal.

TyBlood13 said on Sep. 24, 2012

THis is pretty cool, yes indeed.
Hey Mato, you should have a dedicated buymother2.com for those of us who want to buy that instead of EarthBound. Also, THANK YOU MATO! Thanks to the little eBay bar on this site, I got a copy of MOTHER 2 in the box for $40! The next cheapest one was $70, so THANK YOU AGAIN MATO!

LakituAl said on Sep. 25, 2012

Wah~! I always find these kind of stuff SO interesting. I like how the cabin had just a random room instead of a jail-like appearance. It’s like they were going for a mysterious approach regarding Paula, but then were like “You know what? They already saw her in the naming screen, screw mystery!”. XDD

Also, now you got me stuck for hours reading the Zelda article. Good stuff man. Say, are you being serious about Ghosts n Goblins? ‘Cause man, I love reading what people have to say about that game. >w<

OKeijiDragon said on Sep. 25, 2012

This post reminds me. Whatever happened to that Laserdisc with the MOTHER 2 preview in it? Did Carl get around to ripping that?

Mato said on Sep. 26, 2012

LakituAl: Yeah, I have a tremendous love-and-hate relationship with Ghosts n Goblins, so it’s something I might do sometime, but at this rate FFIV might take a year or more, ack 😯

OKeijiDragon: I don’t know what the status is on that, at least nothing’s been put online yet.

KingDarian said on Sep. 27, 2012

Cool. Is this that magazine? Any other interesting game mentions in there?

Mato said on Sep. 27, 2012

I posted a bunch of pics from the magazine on my site a few days ago. Might be NSFW in there though: http://matotree.com/2012/09/gathering-supplies/

Daniel B. said on Sep. 29, 2012

The shot with Everdred also has Paula, and I think the red building changed color.

zen said on Jun. 13, 2013

ness with no backpack looks cool. but how dose he carry so much stuff without a back pack… i guess it makes sence so have it added

Find Merchandise!