September 3rd, 2012 | Audio Stuff, Hacking, MOTHER 1+2, MOTHER 3

A few months ago Bregalad released a utility called GBAMusRiper that rips the music from many GBA games into MIDI format with accompanying sound font files.

Apparently it even works with MOTHER 1+2, but only the MOTHER 2 side. And it works with MOTHER 3 too – apparently to the point that a hacker by the name of LuigiBlood was able to do some basic music insertion. Here’s a sample:

And here is another sample video.

I’ve never used this utility and I don’t know how one would go about ripping and inserting music, but if you’re interested, there you go!

Actually, I wonder if it’s possible to restore the quality of the GBA MOTHER 2 music using this utility as a reference…

25 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 and 3 Music Utility

gBev said on Sep. 3, 2012

Interesting. I wonder if, as time goes on and technology improves, large scale hacks of Mother 3 will ever be as easily done as they are with EarthBound.

Hukky said on Sep. 3, 2012

I think you have misinterpreted something.
If I’m reading this right, LuigiBlood didn’t actually replace anything in the MOTHER 3 ROM. He just used the utility to rip a MOTHER 3 soundfont which he applied on a MIDI and edited that song into the video. The utility doesn’t appear to support importing songs at all.

Mato said on Sep. 3, 2012

I considered that, but then the videos mention hacking. It might just be poor wording and that it’s as you say though.

Hukky said on Sep. 3, 2012

The description of one video does say “I remade the song myself with FL Studio, using Mother 3 Soundfont.” though. Quite mysterious.

LuigiBlood said on Sep. 3, 2012

Actually, they are actually inserted in the game.
I’m using the Mother 3 Soundfont as a base with FL Studio. Then I export to MIDI, then I convert it to the M4A GBA format, and then add it in the game. I can make a video of me doing that. And maybe making a IPS file.

LuigiBlood said on Sep. 3, 2012

And I forgot: GBAMusRiper is only useful to get the songs and Soundfont, I use Sappy for inserting the song in the game.

Hukky said on Sep. 3, 2012

Oh okay, I didn’t know inserting M4A music into ROMs was possible yet.

You know, it would be pretty cool if someone figured out the MOTHER 1 sound format and made the game use the Game Boy sound chip like Porky’s Porkies in MOTHER 3 (allegedly) does.

LuigiBlood said on Sep. 3, 2012

I tried my hand on Mother 1+2, but enhancing songs also needs some instruments changes. And I don’t know the Music Format for Mother 1. My thing is more like the SNES than the GBA ^^’
Also, M4A =/= MPEG 4 Audio. The GBA SDK mentions M4A as Music For (Game Boy) Advance. People can be confused, I know.

ninten said on Sep. 3, 2012

Please reply luigiblood. Would it be possible to enhance the mother 2 side of mother 1+2 music?

LuigiBlood said on Sep. 3, 2012

It should be. But I won’t take my time doing this.

Kuranes said on Sep. 3, 2012

Didn’t someone do something similar with gba ff6? Should totally be possible and would get the haters to get over the lower sound quality and translate it.

Satsy said on Sep. 4, 2012

Hmmmmmm I dunno, Kuranes, I can see some problems arising with the text boxes, what with being significantly smaller than the SNES’s window. There’s not a great amount of space for long words, last I checked.

Anonymous said on Sep. 4, 2012

Actully some is translating mother 2 gba:http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mother-2-GBA-Translation/231332216883157 Someone just needs to work on the mother 2 gba music.

ninten said on Sep. 4, 2012

Somepme is working on translating mother 2 gba http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mother-2-GBA-Translation/231332216883157 Someone just needs to work on the mother 2 gba music.

Chuggaaconroy jr said on Sep. 4, 2012

This is off topic but, mato. have you ever cosplayed a mother character?

Mato said on Sep. 4, 2012

No, I’ve never been much of a cosplayer or a costume-wearing guy in general. In fact most of my Halloween costumes when I was a kid were actually just my normal clothes :P

GhostSonic said on Sep. 4, 2012

I dunno why, but I really like listening to the midi rips with the soundfonts this program makes over listening to the GSF files.

Earthstuff said on Sep. 5, 2012

Considering someone hacked Final Fantasy IV through VI on the GBA to play the original snes music, I’m pretty sure it is possible to do the same to Mother 2 on the GBA.

Kuranes said on Sep. 6, 2012

That’s what I was saying.

StarmanFan said on Sep. 7, 2012

I´m making a MOTHER 3 Enemie Hack it will have PK Beam :D

DayvanMollusk said on Sep. 9, 2012

Thank you so much for the news Mato! Right now I’m listening to the soundtrack using foobar2000 with foo_midi and BASSMIDI with the soundfont. The sound quality is drastically improved better than hearing the soundtrack on the gba itself =)Thank you :-)

DayvanMollusk said on Sep. 9, 2012

Would it somehow be possible to remaster the Mother 3 soundtrack and send it back into the rom?

jinxkatty7 said on Sep. 14, 2012

lol, with Lucas running back and forth and that fitting music playing… ok thats too funny. Dont ask me how that music is “fitting” in anny way

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 23, 2012

If only we could get someone to help us restore the music, then our translation would be really good. Also it would help if we were able to edit some windows and have main text print in a text box that extends all the way across the screen, while not messing up the PSI windows (like Hallow’s End did).

Vince said on May. 7, 2013

FF5 and FF6 Advance had awful music too, but somebody was able to hack the SNES sound engine back in. I have no idea how, but I imagine it can be done.

Find Merchandise!