EarthBound Bass Fishing Hack
Time for another mailbag entry!
Today’s comes from Brian, who asks:
I noticed you had taken a trivia-type question in regards to Escargo Express, so I thought I’d ask another I had always wondered about.
Is there any particular/known reason why the translators changed the octopus statue to the pencil statue? Is there some cultural reference that may be missing?
Based on things Shigesato Itoi has said (including this discussion), I’m led to believe that the octopus statue wasn’t an octopus statue for any particular reason – it was just a very strange way of blocking the player’s path. Blocking the player’s path in strange ways was a huge part of what Mother 2 was all about.
I’m guessing the localizers wanted it to make some some of logical sense for North American players, so they changed it to a pencil and a machine that erases pencils – a “Pencil Eraser”. It’s actually kind of a little bit of word play in its own way.
Anyway, that’s always been my take on the giant pencil statue, but if anyone has other thoughts or insight, please share!
And if you have any other questions for the mailbag, send them to me!
Other Related Posts:
16 Comments to Mailbag: The Octopus Statue
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!