Popular Posts:

None found

September 15th, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

After posting yesterday’s update about Game Center CX and MOTHER, I was reminded that a lot of the sounds in Kirby’s Dream Course comes straight from EarthBound/MOTHER 2. Then I remembered that I made this video many years back, showing some Kirby and MOTHER 2 connections:

Of course, there’s also the Kirby sprite in EarthBound.

Are there any other connections I’ve missed? Let me know!

12 Comments to Kirby and EarthBound

Hukky said on Sep. 15, 2012

There’s also the Yo-Yo ability in Super Star, which makes Kirby wear a blue cap and wield a yo-yo. Its ability icon also has a blue checkerboard pattern similar to EB’s file select screen.

SEGAGAGA said on Sep. 15, 2012

SUUUPER!!!

KingDarian said on Sep. 15, 2012

Let’s not forget that Ness and Kirby share the same voice actor in the Smash Bros. games. Makiko Ohmoto.

BusterTheFox said on Sep. 15, 2012

I never knew Dream Course had EB sound effects in it! I only heard one that sounded like EB, though. As for Kirby being in the debug menu, I guess I just assumed it was either a random placeholder they chose or maybe some kind of generic Nintendo-wide debug menu at the time (if that’s even possible) that everyone used and added things to. EB DOES have a second debug menu, right? One that does stuff like test the battle system? This one is more for normal stuff that every game has, like testing music and sounds, right? :p That’s my take on it.

BusterTheFox said on Sep. 15, 2012

Oh, and Mr. Saturn in Super Star. Makes me wish I had played Super Star more. 🙂

sTARMEN said on Sep. 16, 2012

Huckky you beat me to it! I was gonna say that! ;_;

8-bit owl said on Sep. 16, 2012

Does anyone else think the sound when you pass someone up in Super Mario Kart is also from Earthbound?
Here’s a link to the sound from Mario Kart for reference:

Jason said on Sep. 17, 2012

8-bit owl: Super Mario Kart was released several years before Earthbound/Mother 2… So that’d be quite impossible for Mario Kart to have taken the sound from Earthbound. O_o

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Sep. 18, 2012

Since HAL Labs was the employer of Masahiro Sakurai (the man behind Kirby), and was also the company that participated heavily in the development of Mother 2…well, at least EarthBound’s debug menu has Kirby all over it!

Retro Girl said on Sep. 21, 2012

I love Kirby Ness! How about a game for the Wii U where Kirby & Ness team up in a fresh RPG? What do you think?

flintlockdoorknob said on Sep. 26, 2012

@opinionated vector chimera

I always thought that the reason Smash Bros. had was ness was because of Hal’s involvement? But I can’t remember the source. I just assumed so I guess.

Kraken of the sea said on Dec. 23, 2012

Kirby’s dream course also have similiar sounds to Earthbound

Find Merchandise!

• DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
  • cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
  • Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
  • Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
  • Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.