September 13th, 2012 | Hacking, MOTHER 1

A few days ago, uyuyuy99 released the first-ever EarthBound Zero map editing program, titled “BBHack”. It’s written in Java, so it should theoretically work on any platform that supports Java.

It’s not too hard to use either, here’s something I threw together pretty quickly:

It sounds like many more features are planned, including:

• 16×16 Tile Editor
  • 8×8 Graphics Editor
  • Sprite Editor
  • Sprite/NPC Placement Editor (part of the map editor)
  • Item Editor
  • Enemy Editor
  • Enemy Groups Editor
  • Title Screen Editor
  • Giegue’s Ship Editor
  • Town Map Editor
  • 8 Melodies Trippy BG Editor
  • Text Editor
  • Script Editor (sorta like CCScript)
  • Palette Editor
  • Starting/Levelup Stats Editor
  • Ending Graphics Editor
  • …and probably more stuff too

You can download the current version of BBHack here! Hopefully as time goes on we’ll start to see some cool EarthBound Zero hacks 😀

24 Comments to EarthBound Zero Map Editor

HyperBound said on Sep. 13, 2012

I’m always excited to see more hacking tools for the Mother series. Coil Snake, CCscript, and now BBHack. Truly these are the halcyon days of hacking!

I propose a challenge to the community: Pull an “inverse H.S.” and hack Mother 2 into Mother 1. A daunting task indeed!

Ness said on Sep. 13, 2012

This is great! Learning how to map edit on EarthBound Zero will make map editing easier to learn with PK Hack.

Man with No Name said on Sep. 13, 2012

YES! I love the look of earthbound zero. Hopefully a music editor comes around and Im set

KingOfSwords said on Sep. 13, 2012

I’m gonna download it right now. It looks really awesome and I can’t wait till it has more features. 😀

KingOfSwords said on Sep. 13, 2012

Oh, if we make something cool out of this, is there a way to upload it to the Internet without uploading the ROM (which is illegal)?

Mato said on Sep. 13, 2012

Yeah, just make an IPS patch – you’ll need a copy of the original, unedited ROM and a patch creator like Lunar IPS: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

Furball200x said on Sep. 13, 2012

Mato, you do realise that whoever lives in that house has no way of escaping, right?

JamesBond007 said on Sep. 13, 2012

?Maybe it’s a good idea to make the maps faithful to the original Famicom version (harder)?

Here is an example – Magicant underground:
Good news – it should be possible to rebuild original Japanese map
Bad news – at this time, it’s imposssible to move the Dragon.

SamWibatt said on Sep. 14, 2012

Extremely cool!

uyuyuy99 said on Sep. 14, 2012

@JamesBond007: Luckily, I’m working on a sprite placement/properties editor right now, so you’ll be able to move the dragon soon.

And thanks for the feedback guys 🙂

Starstorm said on Sep. 14, 2012

This actually does look pretty awesome! I’ll try it and see what I can do 🙂

BusterTheFox said on Sep. 14, 2012

Sweet! I love playing hacks, but most of the only good ones I can find (aside from fan translation hacks) are ones of Pokémon. Looks like I won’t have to settle for my second-favorite series for much longer! 🙂

JamesBond007 said on Sep. 15, 2012

Rhanks uyuyuy99. In order to make my hack, I need to find all map differences, including item placement.

I know that at least three areas has been changed:
1. Magicant underground (Dragon level, original was bigger)
2. Road before Mt. Itoi (original version had multiple paths)
3. Rosemary Manor (I can’t confirm this, but I think original had more rooms).

Speaking of item placement, there might be differences as well. I heard rumors saying that Sword (weapon for Teddy) is present in Rosemary Manor in the original Mother and it was moved to Magicant underground in EarthBound Zero, but I can’t confirm or deny this.

johnr754 said on Sep. 16, 2012

Yay, now I can recreate Kanto (PKMN) in MOTHER!

All jokes aside, this is neat.

KingOfSwords said on Sep. 16, 2012

This program is glitchy. It likes to randomly switch tilesets and mess up things that I haven’t even touched. I hope the next version is better…

uyuyuy99 said on Sep. 16, 2012

@KingOfSwords: It “randomly” switches tilesets when you click or drag your mouse on a part of the map with a different tileset. In other words, it’s not switching the tileset, it’s just changing the available chunks in the chunk selection menu based on what tileset you last selected. It’s meant to do that 😛

@JamesBond007: Actually, I should’ve mentioned – me and a couple other peeps are already working on restoring the original Mother maps/sprites/etc. with EB0. I’ll be making automated ways to compare the differences between the two maps and all that. It’ll be interesting to see what they changed.

Giygas999 said on Sep. 17, 2012

Yes. Hackbound is back on

KingOfSwords said on Sep. 17, 2012

Now I’m even more confused.

Also, I’m guessing that changing a bunch of random nearby chunks when clicking on one chunk and weird glitchy chunks appearing when I play the hack aren’t intentional?

uyuyuy99 said on Sep. 24, 2012

@KingOfSwords: That is “intentional”, if you want to call it that. It’s just how EB0 works – 2 tilesets are loaded at once, but those tilesets can change dynamically as you walk around.

To put it simply, you have to make smooth transitions between tilesets on the map. For example, you can’t have tilesets 1 and 2 for one sector and tilesets 3 and 4 for the adjacent one. In other words, make it so the player can never see tiles of a tileset that isn’t loaded.

I know this all sounds confusing/annoying; but don’t worry, I’ll add a feature in the next version to help make this annoying process a whole lot easier 🙂

Anonymous said on Sep. 24, 2012

Wow! I wonder if someone’s going to use this to insert the original Mother maps, and then replace the title screen / graphics / script / difficulty, etc. while they’re at it. I know some people would have loved to play Mother in English as close to the Famicom release as possible, so this would be the best way!

uyuyuy99 said on Sep. 25, 2012

@Anonymouse: That’s exactly what we’re already working on!

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on May. 18, 2013

This is for uyuyuy99: there’s an EarthBound Zero ROM map at http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/EarthBound_Zero:ROM_map for when you start your other sections of the editor. To demonstrate:

I was just hacking the EarthBound Zero ROM, and I managed to: 1, change the Big Foot sprite to the Blue Dragon from Final Fantasy (albeit with the same palette as the Big Foot, but it still looks good!); 2, change the stats of the Big Foot (using PK Hack Zero); 3, change its name; and 4, pinpoint the adjusted stats and modify its AI. I have screenshots at http://imgur.com/a/6tofc and an IPS patch at http://www.mediafire.com/?10nbwma9a3ue631 if you’re interested in attempting this. For the IPS patch, wander around Snowman’s battle areas until you encounter a “Green D.” (actually more orange).

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Oct. 12, 2013

How is this going?

uyuyuy99 said on Nov. 9, 2013

@Opinionated Vector Chimera:

Yes, thank you, I am aware of that ROM map. Since you ask, it’s going pretty good. I know it’s been quite some time since I’ve worked on this… almost a year at this point. But I’m (finally) getting back to work on it. I’m going to do a complete overhaul of the script editor – it was wackily made and very unstable, so I’m going to switch to making it a scripting language similar to CCScript (called BBScript).

Also, nice little hack you got there. It’s awesome to see other people hacking this game for once 😀