September 10th, 2012 | EarthBound, Images

There’s a new anime coming soon called “Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de” which apparently uses the old Nintendo and Sega rivalry of the 90s as the basis for a fantasy setting. Or something. It sounds a bit like that Hyperdimension Neptunia game.

Anyway, the characters are based off of various games from back then – you got your Mario Bros.-type characters, your Samus-type character… and even a MOTHER-themed character!

If you look in the bottom left corner of this pic, you can see the MOTHER-themed character “Masa” holding a Mr. Saturn:

In Japanese, “MOTHER” is pronounced a bit like, “Maza”, so that’s why this character is called “Masa”.

Looking through this pic, I can tell what most of these characters are supposed to be, but most of the top row is a mystery to me. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks to The Great Morgil for the tip!

44 Comments to EarthBound in Console Wars Anime

Reficul said on Sep. 10, 2012

I cracked up when I noticed the Mario and Luigi characters.

Fuffelpups said on Sep. 10, 2012

The Girls Saroid could be Samus Aran from Metroid and there is a little Boo to near Greege.

Trippy said on Sep. 10, 2012

The guy on the top left corner is Sonic, I bet. I went and checked out the official website for this…it looks really cool!

Here are some hints I gathered from the character profile section for you guys…

First off. from the land of “Segua”…heheh

Gia is extremely fast and loves chilli dogs.

Neru has pointed ears which stand up when she’s excited.

Til isn’t pictured here, but it says in bold print Gia’s apprentice or servant or something along those sorts, so I’m thinking maybe Tails?

Ramses has is able to always be calm. She can do magic. She has a hobby of collecting precious stones, as well as a horrible hobby she could never tell anyone…

Opal has a habit of touching her lips and saying,”Yadayo”, which means something like, I don’t want to, or I don’t like! Her favorite color is shocking pink.

Now, of the “Ninteldo” kingdom…XD

…Do I even have to say anything about Marcse and Greege?

Zerig is left-handed and uses many different kinds of tools…(Link?)

Fare is known to try and try again if she fails. Her motto is “Treasure your lives.” I bet she’s from a really hard game.

Masa loves music. He lost his mother at a young age, and before dying, she told him,”No crying till the end.” He has never cried since. Awww… He does sum up Mother really well I guess. :3

Carvai loves to eat. I’m guessing Kirby.

Saroid loves her helmet. It is said she is a real beauty underneath it. This one’s pretty obvious, ain’t it. πŸ™‚

Fosta is in a lot of debt. I don’t know much about games, but the first one I thought of was Animal Crossing. XD

Aaaaaaand I’m taking a break!

Anonymous said on Sep. 10, 2012

D’you think Fare might be for Fire Emblem?

Top row Sega characters: the three girls kind of resemble the Phantasy Stars.

Anonymous said on Sep. 10, 2012

Fosta = Fox McCloud

Douglas said on Sep. 10, 2012

looks dumb

Aeon said on Sep. 10, 2012

I think Carvai might be Nana from Ice Climbers or King Dedede from Kirby

BusterTheFox said on Sep. 10, 2012

It’s like Hetalia only with video games references, and one of the characters is even directly based upon Mother. O_O I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL SOME FAN GROUP SUBS THIS!!!

Crysta said on Sep. 10, 2012

Neru.. obviously Nei from Phantasy Star
Ramses… must be for Columns

Opul is the only one I can’t really put a game to. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris said on Sep. 10, 2012

Good call on the guesses (esp Columns)! As for Animal Crossing, keep in mind this is Nintendo v Sega, and I think the first AC came out when Sega was already out of the picture, no?

Not sure about Opul. Sega doesn’t have so many obvious franchise/characters like Nintendo does, and it’s hard to think of what Japanese animators would consider their important series outside of Sonic & Phantasy Star. Only other thing I can think of would be Virtua Fighter or Outrun, though the former would probably be a really obvious reference to catch.

V-King said on Sep. 10, 2012

WHAT IS THIS I DON’T EVEN
Why do all Segua people have the Sega S as their logo, but the Ninteldo characters just have some lame + as theirs?
That’s stupid. This anime is stupid. STUPID!!!

I will watch every episode and I will love it.

V-King said on Sep. 10, 2012

Oh wait, the Ninteldo people have a stylized Famicom controller as their logo!
Neat πŸ™‚

Drake said on Sep. 10, 2012

I’m so gonna watch this anime when it comes out! πŸ˜€

Crysta said on Sep. 10, 2012

After thought, my only real guess for Opul would be Fantasy Zone, and that still doesnt feel like it quite fits.

KingDarian said on Sep. 10, 2012

Opul would be Fantasy Zone because the berets in her hair resemble the wings on the similarly named spaceship in the series, Opa-Opa.

Hukky said on Sep. 10, 2012

Tejilof is speculated to be a human embodiment of Tetris. Why is he in the Sega camp, you ask? The Sega arcade version of Tetris was the most popular in Japan, that’s why.

nemryn said on Sep. 10, 2012

Zerig has Navi and a Majora ripoff with him, so he’s Link.
The stars around Carvai are the same style as the star blocks from Kirby; the hammer suggests Dedede, but the name and color scheme suggest Kirby himself, and Kirby uses a hammer too.
Pirika is obviously Pikachu.
The target for Fosta would make sense if he’s Fox.

Detailed said on Sep. 10, 2012

How can you guys not obviously see that Fosta is supposed to be Link?

Green tunic, guys. Green tunic. I mean, c’mon. How could you miss that?

Pirika = Pikachu obviously. (Didn’t see mentioned yet)

Fare is obviously supposed to be a take on Castlevania, while Zerig seems to be either Fox or Olimar from Pikmin.

Maverick-jin8 said on Sep. 10, 2012

Fosta = STAr FOx

Carvai is Kirby, it’s hard to tell but her forehead has a Kirby face on it.

Fare is Fire Emblem, like what Trippy said-
Her motto is β€œTreasure your lives.” Classic Fire Emblem

Also that picture is fanart anyway, but the designs are mostly the same.

NecrosaroIII said on Sep. 10, 2012

Seems like Masa is mostly based off Lucas

Satsy said on Sep. 10, 2012

How many people have picked up that a good deal of the character names mash up the game title and the character? Except in cases where it’s just pronunciation play (Maza/Mother, Carvai/Kirby)? Like SaRoid = SAmus, MetROID? FOx and STArfox? It wouldn’t surprise me if they were doing the same with Sega characters, but I don’t have enough knowledge of that subject.

I know which side of the Console War I was on. πŸ˜‰

Halloween said on Sep. 10, 2012

That’s freaking hilarious, fall season confirmed for best season.

Furball200x said on Sep. 10, 2012

Fosta’s debt= Fox’s need to avenge his father’s death at the hands of Andross.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Sep. 10, 2012

Notice the EarthBound Earth logo and the Mr. Saturn copy in Maza’s lap.

Now I see it: Mother is definit–wait, was this called EarthBound Central or Anime Central? πŸ™‚

RandomGuardian said on Sep. 10, 2012

Ok, this is strange but… I want to see this.

Anonymous said on Sep. 10, 2012

Fare must represent Fire Emblem.

Anonymous said on Sep. 10, 2012

Throwing out some ideas for the Sega characters apart from Neru…

Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue
Panzer Dragoon
NiGHTS
Golden Axe
Alex Kidd
Shining Force

Nate said on Sep. 10, 2012

Neru looks like that one chick from Phoenix Wright…

PSIcho said on Sep. 11, 2012

Most of it is up on Wikipedia.

Gia is Sonic
Neru is Nei from Phantasy Star 2
Marcse is Mario
Greege is Luigi
Zerig is Majora’s Mask
Carvai is Kirby
Fare is Fire Emblem
Masa is Mother
Saroid is Samus
Foster is fox
Pirika is Pikachu (It’s not on there but it’s obvious.)

And the rest don’t have anything explaining who they are

XavandSo said on Sep. 11, 2012

Hm. It’s always nice to see a Mother-themed cameo in something, but I found it a shock that it would be this big.

Well… Anyway, we all know who will win in the end, eh’?

Tamers12345 said on Sep. 11, 2012

If they could make this crap why not make A Mother 3 anime? Sorry for being blunt and honest…

nem said on Sep. 11, 2012

Because this is parody and japan. Get over it :v

angryrider said on Sep. 11, 2012

Is this Japan’s response to Wreck It Ralph? More moe and busty anime chicks?

pklovetheme said on Sep. 11, 2012

This is such exciting news, if you ask me! I’m also really glad the legacy of Mother is undying!

Anonymous said on Sep. 11, 2012

If this is based on the SNES vs Genesis console wars, what the heck are Majora’s Mask and Pikachu doing here? They’re from the Nintendo vs Sony era.

Anonymous said on Sep. 11, 2012

Zerig has a little triforce earring

angryeyebrows17 said on Sep. 11, 2012

Opul reminds of me Knuckles the Echidna. Anyone else see it? Her knuckles are shining, and she has the same color as Knuckles. Kind of a stretch, I guess.

Qwerty said on Sep. 11, 2012

I looked through the manga, as far as I think I can get… and Masa only appeared about two times. πŸ™ I think I saw Pirika once, and Saroid and Fosta never showed up. – It seemed that the story mostly focused on the females, Link, and the Tetris guy.

Did anyone see those characters elsewhere? Maybe I missed parts?

TalonKhan said on Sep. 12, 2012

Here’s the list from another site
Gia – Sonic (Sonic The Hedgehog)
Opul – Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone)
Neru – Nei (Phantasy Star)
Tejilof – Tetris (apparently a third-party mercenary hired by Segua)
Ramses – Columns
Marcse – Mario
Greege – Luigi
Zerig – The Legend Of Zelda
Carval – Kirby
Fare – Fire Emblem
Masa – Mother
Saroid – Samus (Metroid)
Pirika – Pikachu (PokΓ©mon)
Fosta – Fox (Star Fox)

unnoticedninja said on Sep. 12, 2012

TalonKhan seems to have it right as far as I can tell. This better get an english dub version within 5 years, if not, I can try to bear with subtitles (if I wanted to read and miss half the animation, I would read the manga).

Anonymous said on Sep. 15, 2012

I know that Greege is Luigi, but does anyone else think he resembles Duster?

nesstron said on Sep. 15, 2012

cia reminds me of gray from fairy tail

Lee said on Sep. 16, 2012

Opul punches things, much like early Sega mascot Alex Kidd. Could be a coincidence, tho.

SiAnnime said on Dec. 23, 2012

This is really cool! Masa Reminds me of Lucas!

Find Merchandise!