Dosei-san Mr Saturn Plush Strap Mother 2 3 Earthbound Japan Japanese

August 31st, 2012 | Events, Images, Itoi

About a year and a half ago, Shigesato Itoi acknowledged the overseas EarthBound/MOTHER fan community – if you’ve forgotten or haven’t seen it before, here’s the video:

He mistakenly called us Starmen.Net people the “Starman Club”, and immediately after that we all clung to that term :P

Recently, as we’ve seen in an earlier post, super-duper awesome translator lady Chewy has been working with Itoi’s company on various projects. She was able to meet the man himself, and here’s the result!

In the pictures we see him writing a little message to the Starman Club – the Mr. Saturn says something like, “Is good.” and “Potential!”

Chewy did briefly talk to him about the fans in America and elsewhere, but that’s a story for another day that maybe she should tell.

Anyway, Chewy kept this sign board a secret so that she could surprise Reid, owner of Starmen.Net and Fangamer at PAX! And here he is upon receiving it:

Pretty cool stuff! It only took a million years, but it feels like a cycle of some sort is now complete :P

Incidentally, remember this from a few days ago? It seems very likely that this was on Itoi’s mind because of Chewy’s conversation with him just a few days before :D

23 Comments to The Ultimate Starman Club Treasure

KyleRXZero said on Aug. 31, 2012

That is so cool. Really awesome Chewy. I bet that certainly made Reid’s day. :)

Ness said on Aug. 31, 2012

Keep fighting! Your prayers may one day breach the darkness and be heard by Shigesato Itoi!

Juanito said on Aug. 31, 2012

This is awesome! Way to go, Chewy. Funny how such a small act can reach people like Iwata.

Jason said on Aug. 31, 2012

Super cool!

Neko Knight said on Aug. 31, 2012

Yes, thank you Chewy and Itoi-san!
And wow, how things have changed over the past years!
Itoi-san has a goatee and mustache and Reid has long hair!
It makes me a little sad because it reminds me just how much time has passed and that we’re not “kids” anymore…Sigh…

LucasPSI said on Aug. 31, 2012

Considering he knows about us, maybe that means he comes to the site every know and then. ;) If so, HELLO ITOI FROM YOUR BIGGEST FAN!!!

Mato said on Aug. 31, 2012

Apparently some people who work at Itoi’s office found this post I made:

It sounds like they were freaking out and trying to explain how that’s not REALLY how things are at his company.

BUT THEN WHERE DID THOSE PICTURES COME FROM???

RandomGuardian said on Aug. 31, 2012

You know this is giving me a strange feeling. Kinda like jealousy, awe, comfort, and happiness all in one? I think it’s that feeling where things have ended for the longest tine and then boom! Nostalgia hits! This is the catalyst of my nostalgia. I look back, see where we are now, and see how far we have come. It feels good!

Saturnome said on Aug. 31, 2012

Yes yes yes yes yes <3 . I'm so glad this is happening! As a (pretty quiet) member of the "Starman Club" for over a decade, I feel like this is a big achievement. Thank you Chewy!

Crav said on Sep. 1, 2012

That’s just awesome.

Mike D said on Sep. 1, 2012

Congratulations! Well deserved and a huge accomplishment. It’s both inspiring and heartwarming to see. I’m really happy for you guys!

Miles said on Sep. 2, 2012

Forgive my language, but HOLY S***! I THINK MY RETINA’S BURST, MY HEART STOPPED, AND MY BRAIN EXPLODED AT HOW AWESOME THIS IS!

HpShout said on Sep. 2, 2012

This. Is. Awesome. Just plain awesome. I wonder if Itoi knows that we worship a cart of Earthbound in the backroom? Thou shalt not use the suporma.

MJH said on Sep. 2, 2012

Yay!

flintlockdoorknob said on Sep. 3, 2012

I wish I could meet someone who created something I enjoy, let alone something thousands of people enjoy.

LucasTizma said on Sep. 3, 2012

I’m so very jealous of Chewy! How fortunate to be able to work with Itoi-san like that. :) And that illustration is super awesome!

NecrosaroIII said on Sep. 4, 2012

Tomato, what do you know about the relationship between Itoi and Satoru Iwata? They appear to be relatively close. I know they occasionally go out to dinner and what not.

Are they friends? Or are they just like, business associates?

Mato said on Sep. 4, 2012

They’re good friends, not just business partners. They first met during Mother 2′s development.

[...] Mr. Saturn that says the words, “is good” and “potential,” according to EarthBound Central, The nod from the EarthBound/Mother series creator is the second time he’s acknowledged the [...]

Sqoon said on Sep. 6, 2012

Oh Mr. Itoi
You are so awesome, and an inspiration!

HI MR. ITOI~!

Anonymous said on Sep. 7, 2012

Dat long hair

September said on Sep. 8, 2012

My god, this made my day. This is why I love Itoi. <3

eagle0wl said on Sep. 27, 2012

It’s been a long time :-)

That’s unbelievable… awesome. just awesome!

“Starman Club” desire has finally been realized!
Reid have a really nice smile :-)