August 20th, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking, MOTHER 1, Videos

H.S recently posted a video showcasing a lot of stuff from the MOTHER/EB0 remake hack in the works – mostly walking around all the new maps and such:

The description is:

Now that I’ve moved all of the maps over to a CoilSnake project, I thought it would be fun to do a (long) walkabout of the currently empty world, to show off the various areas. The cutscenes were just added to make this video more entertaining, they won’t actually be in the final game.

Some of the music for this game isn’t done yet, so a few of the areas have placeholder music instead (everything from Easter to the end of the video). Several maps, mostly indoor areas, are not yet complete, and are simply skipped over in this video.

Even though the maps and (non-placeholder) music featured in this video are complete, they are not final, and might still undergo changes at a later date.

Until now we’ve seen lots of little pieces of this hack get made, it’s great seeing the pieces coming together!

29 Comments to MOTHER Remake Hack Walkabout

gotaname said on Aug. 20, 2012

OH EHM GEEE

IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!

Tho cant seem to help but noticing some framerate drops? which will only increase with enemies/NPCs on screen.

Satsy said on Aug. 20, 2012

Definitely cool to see the amount of effort they’ve put in, and the creative liberties they’ve taken with certain areas. There are some things I probably wouldn’t have gone with, but that they’ve done as much as they have, and more than I ever have, I don’t think I have the right to gripe. 😉

A lot’s been put into this, and I’m curious to see how far it’ll go from here.

Anonymous said on Aug. 20, 2012

Is there any way to get involved with this? Do they need any playtesters yet?

Jondo said on Aug. 20, 2012

Nope. I think H.S is holding out on “testers” until the game is pretty much finished. I think it’s a smart move; obviously there’s going to be tons of glitches when the script/text for the game has barely been written. The most important part of making this game is nearly complete though: the overworld maps!

Raffa said on Aug. 20, 2012

WOAH, Halloween looks FANTASTIC! Magicant looks pretty much the same, but then again, I thought it already looked amazing on the original game, so it’s cool. Really excited to play this.

WheatThin said on Aug. 20, 2012

Dang this looks amazing! But one little question I have if anybody knows it, will the option to “run” / “speed up” be in this?

Anonymous said on Aug. 20, 2012

What is the music from 1:20 in the video, when they’re in reindeer? I don’t recall that being in Earthbound zero/mother. But I like it.

Anonymous said on Aug. 20, 2012

Actually there’s alotta cool music there. Is there somewhere we could get a hold of it?

Raffa said on Aug. 20, 2012

@Anonymous

There is also a link there to the thread on the starmen.net forums where you can probably find more.

Crav said on Aug. 20, 2012

@Anonymous

The music that wasn’t directly from Earthbound are all new versions of the old songs made to use Earthbound’s instuments and uploaded into the rom. It was actual game music.

The song in Reindeer was a new song made by Mr. Everdread on the forums. Because the original game mostly just plays Being Friends for most of the overworld, it was decided that different areas should be given different music so it wouldn’t get too repetitive. That means a few areas are getting brand new music while others are getting remixes of the old tracks. The track that played in halloween was also some of Everdread’s work.

roach said on Aug. 20, 2012

awesome work guys!

Kyosuke said on Aug. 21, 2012

Can’t wait to play this bad boy!

SSBMaster11 said on Aug. 21, 2012

This is actually looking really cool! I really like how they changed some aspects of some areas, like, for example, the swamp looks like they totally redid that. One thing, though this might be just me, but, I always thought naming towns after holidays was kinda weird, and would have preferred to see them use the EB0 town names instead. Still, though, this is looking really good so far, and I can’t wait to play it!

lucki_vibrato said on Aug. 21, 2012

ZOMBIE!!
Hahahaha!

The game is getting better and better!

ebfreak101 said on Aug. 21, 2012

@SSBMaster11

Well that was itoi’s original intent and they are trying to keep it as close to the original as possible so…. yeah i dont want the eb0 ones..

Mato said on Aug. 21, 2012

Well that’s a strange argument to make given that there’s new music now 😛

Jason said on Aug. 21, 2012

Looks great! I think the changes have been tasteful and warranted. 🙂

ebfreak101 said on Aug. 21, 2012

Well I think the new music was kind of needed but besides that it is pretty similar

AfroRyan said on Aug. 22, 2012

Hey, quick question to anyone who might know. I guess slight spoiler alert to anyone who hasn’t played Mother 1 and might be waiting for this hack to play it…

Will this hack allow us to keep Teddy AND Loid? I always disliked having to choose between the two in the original game, and I assume it was an engine limitation that forced the separation in the first place. I’m all for keeping the hack pure in terms of story, but honestly, since Loid and Teddy already play such small roles in the story I feel like adding this feature wouldn’t impact the game too much. It’d feel like a nice reward for playing the hack, as well. I suppose some minimal additions to the story would have to be made for this to happen, and maybe it would be really hard to do in the first place, but I think it’d be a cool feature.

ShadowX said on Aug. 22, 2012

I think all of us at one time or another tried to remake this game either in RPG Maker or PK Hack. It’s great to see such a project not only go the distance but to look great as well. Can’t wait to play this someday!

Crav said on Aug. 22, 2012

You won’t be able to keep Teddy and Loid at the end of the game, no. There IS talk of possibly adding a bonus dungeon once everything else is complete where Teddy would rejoin you.

Crav said on Aug. 22, 2012

@ebfreak

I would argue that the EB0 town names are actually a lot closer to Itoi’s original intentions in this case.

You see, from what I remember, he went with the names of holidays celebrated in the US because he thought it would add an extra layer of western flavor for the players. That works in japan, however for native english speakers familiar with the culture it just comes off as really weird. However, all the town names changed in EB0 are based off of real towns and cities across the US. They sound familiar, and they invoke the image of various places across the country, which is probably much closer what Itoi wanted to begin with. It’s the whole localization vs. straight translation thing.

KyoZaber said on Aug. 23, 2012

Wow, the group that’s doing this is doing one heck of a job. I definitely look forward to seeing more of this as time goes on. 🙂

Keep up the good work dudes!

Galvancito1 said on Aug. 24, 2012

I like how you are doing this hack. The maps look cool! But there are a couple of things I’ve noted in the video that could be just a little bit better:

Lloyd seems to be one or two pixels taller than Ninten and Anna, and that’s strange because he is supposed to be the joungest. Their short heigth also makes Ninten and Anna look fatter, so I would give them an extra pixel or two. They looked as tall as adults in the original so it wouldn’t be worse.

The other thing is that I remembered the maps pretty much wider. I supose this was because of the way you encountered enemies (you needed to be out of any town and encounters were random). I like the way you have connected the different areas to one another but I keep having the feeling that the map is smaller. This is probably to memory limitation and anyway it’s not important.

Please, don’t let this coment take you down, you are doing some wonderful hack. It’s just that I sometimes get a bit too perfectionist in my projects and I tend to assume everybody does in their ones too.

Oh, one question, would Pippi be playable (as much as she was in the original)? She could easily play with Teddy items and stats at the beggining, and then the level and items could be reseted once she leaves the group. The only problem would be the sprite set and the name.

Rick-0 said on Aug. 25, 2012

hehe – walking because the trains “don’t exist yet”

Mike D said on Sep. 1, 2012

This is beautiful. I am excited to play it when it is finished. Keep it up!

SpashBanjo said on Sep. 4, 2012

Wow that’s really cool! 🙂

wayne101 said on May. 5, 2013

Galvancito1. the reason why the maps are smaller is because earthbound zero maps are much larger than the earthbound maps. So they had to make all the maps the created more compact.

mamaluigi said on Sep. 5, 2013

it says this video is private!