Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #48

August 1st, 2012 | EarthBound, Images, MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

I feel like I’ve posted this before, but it’s hard to remember everything I’ve posted. At any rate, this is a thing printed in an old issue of Nintendo Power where they covered Japanese games that never came out here:

I remember this stuff clearly, it also talked about the bar code battler stuff and even Pokemon some years before it was released here. I also remember thinking how much cooler this description of MOTHER 1 sounded than this bland blurb some years before.

But most of all, I can’t help but laugh at the title of “Super Mother” for the sequel 😛

9 Comments to MOTHER in Old Nintendo Power

RKSS said on Aug. 1, 2012

of course, everybody remembers Shigerata Itoi
And if they had really called it Super Mother, then it would’ve been the best thing ever

RandomGuardian said on Aug. 1, 2012

Ughhhh Super Mother, what the hell were they thinking!

Neko Knight said on Aug. 1, 2012

I used to own this particular NP issue. It had Mega Man X on the cover I believe. I remember how I loved reading those Japanese game articles and how I thought they were so cool. Ah, the nostalgia…

Dosei-San said on Aug. 1, 2012

“Super Mother” Um….. *laughs* Sorry I just sounds a little bit dirty. What the hell were they smoking?!

KingMike said on Aug. 1, 2012

Yes, that article was from early 1994. Pokemon didn’t exist yet (at least outside Satoshi Tajiri’s brain, and maybe an idea pitched to Nintendo execs. 🙂 )

3DKirby said on Aug. 2, 2012

Mmn,Mother’s sequel is “Super Mother”…So maybe the sequel of “Super Mother” is”Super Mother Ultra”XD

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 2, 2012

Well remember that’s not what they went with, and they tend to float around a lot of ideas before deciding on a name.

Also, keep in mind that during the SNES era, just about EVER game had “Super” in front of it, especially sequels to NES franchises. Castlevania 4 was “Super Castlevania”, Metroid 3 was “Super Metroid”, Contra 3 was “Super Contra”. It was common enough it became a running joke. Then the Nintendo 64 and the arguably dumber practice of putting 64 after every game title came along.

KingMike said on Aug. 3, 2012

Actually, Super Contra was the second game, known as Super C. The prototype name for Contra III was Super Contra IV (we can only guess that was counting Operation C for Game Boy as the third game), but the not released title.

nessnintenlucasunite said on Jan. 3, 2014