Earthbound Super Nintendo SNES Cartridge Cart Game Earth Bound

August 13th, 2012 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

The other day, the super-awesome kenisu sent in a really cool tidbit of info I never realized (but should have):

Just a little tidbit I thought others might like to know.

If you’re paying attention to the titles of the MOTHER 3 BGM, #228 (“Rain, Followed by a Harem”) might seem a little weird to you. We know where the harem comes in, but what does rain have to do with what’s going on during this part of the game?

This is because 雨のちハーレム – Romanized as “Ame nochi HAAREMU” – is based on the Japanese adage 雨のち晴れ – Ame nochi hare, or “After the rain comes fair weather.”

“Hare” is the “fair weather” part of that, and it’s easy to see how that became “harem,” so it’s a pun.

For reference, here’s the song:

Can’t believe I didn’t pick up on that – or if I did, I can’t believe I didn’t try to localize it better.

10 Comments to MOTHER 3 Harems and Titles

RandomGuardian said on Aug. 13, 2012

I can’t think of any way it could be localized any better. Any suggestions people?

Ness1985 said on Aug. 13, 2012

When I hear this, it just makes me think of how much Porky’s a real bastard child.

Furball200x said on Aug. 13, 2012

Ness1985, everyone knows that Porky is really Eric Cartman.

kenisu said on Aug. 14, 2012

I hope I didn’t make it sound like I was pointing the finger or anything and saying, “Shame on you, Mato, you missed something!” The reference actually didn’t hit me either until recently, in fact.

LucasTizma said on Aug. 14, 2012

JEEZ, kenisu, why are you such a jerk?! 😉

joeymartin64 said on Aug. 14, 2012

“April Showers Bring May Fangirls”?

RandomGuardian said on Aug. 14, 2012

Perhapse if you change may to many it would sound smoother.

PigLatinHaiku said on Aug. 17, 2012

April Showers Bring May Deflowerers!

nessgeek said on Aug. 20, 2012

This sounds a lot like Mr. Resetti’s theme from Animal Crossing, anyone agree?