Japanese Escargo Express
The other day, the super-awesome kenisu sent in a really cool tidbit of info I never realized (but should have):
Just a little tidbit I thought others might like to know.
If you’re paying attention to the titles of the MOTHER 3 BGM, #228 (“Rain, Followed by a Harem”) might seem a little weird to you. We know where the harem comes in, but what does rain have to do with what’s going on during this part of the game?
This is because 雨のちハーレム – Romanized as “Ame nochi HAAREMU” – is based on the Japanese adage 雨のち晴れ – Ame nochi hare, or “After the rain comes fair weather.”
“Hare” is the “fair weather” part of that, and it’s easy to see how that became “harem,” so it’s a pun.
For reference, here’s the song:
Can’t believe I didn’t pick up on that – or if I did, I can’t believe I didn’t try to localize it better.
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to MOTHER 3 Harems and Titles
Leave a reply
- broomweed: Wow, thanks everyone for this support! @NESter, yes, it has terrible music (although I like its text display better), but Opinionated...
- 64RR: Mother actually inspired me to start learning more history and culture. I’ve come to know so much because of this one little game...
- Mato: Gotta catch ‘em all! (all the kanji I mean)
- CrouchingMouse: Finding Starmen.net and your Mother 3 translation, Tomato (among some other advice you wrote about studying Japanese) certainly set...
- CoolHandTim: That was pretty rad! I love this version too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9Dq5nzDrv9k