Zero Punctuation Review of EarthBound
Olivier recently e-mailed me about a counterfeit EarthBound experience he had. Here’s his post over on Nintendoage:
About more than 1 mounth I was around Kijiji (Canadian seller/buyer website) and saw an Earthbound listed as an excellent shape for $140. I jumped on it and bought it to the guy paying by Paypal. After like 2 weeks I still didn’t received the game, and I saw he relist it on Kijiji. So I contact the guy and he told me it was a mistake (The listed game was his game, and the one I bought was one from his friend or something) and the game was going to be shipped for real since it was his friend who had it and he had some problems or something. Then 1 week after (3 weeks from when I bought it) I write to the guy saying I didn’t received it. No answer/no game 1 week after I contacted him. So I sent him a warning message saying I’ll active a dispute through Paypal if he didn’t refund me. Surprisingly he answer me pretty quickly this time saying something weird about his friend had the cart and it was a mistake again and he was going to shipped it to me.
So I just received the game today. When I opened the package and take the cart in my hands I already feeled like it’s had something weird. Label was too beautiful (really shinny really looking like a “like new” condition). Label looks also like it’s a little blury like if the printer isn’t that neat. The fake label have also some kind of «waves» on it. I compared the fake cart whith a real cart I already had and found some differences between the 2 carts, so I already knew I had a fake cart or something. I tested it in my Snes and it worked. Then I tryed to open the carts to see the differences between the 2 and guess what? The fake cart have some glue on one of the screw, so I can’t open it. Also it looks like they “damaged” the label a little to make it looks like more legit, but it still looks too “fresh and new” to be real.
You can see the full post with more details and pics here.
This actually isn’t the first time I’ve heard of fake EarthBound problems from Kijiji. Once every couple of weeks I hear something like this – I’ve never heard of any good experiences of EarthBound carts coming out of there. Basically, if you see an EarthBound cart anywhere for sale but it looks too good to be true, it’s probably pretty risky.
Here are some quick photos for reference:
If you recall, some of these same things were documented in an old post here, so this is certainly nothing new.
Other Related Posts:
18 Comments to More EarthBound Counterfeits
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...