EarthBound Central Live: January 4, 2016
August 30th, 2012 | Itoi
Today let’s take a look at my e-mails and pick a topic of discussion!
This one is from Nate and is about how Itoi probably views the MOTHER series/EarthBound:
Did you ever think that ‘the man’ Shigasato Itoi always thought as the Mother series as a trivial part of his career and like a picture-book story facet to his career that he never gave it too much thought as to it’s success outside Japan? Think about this: Mr. Itoi is a multi faceted celebrity in Japan. He produces everything from kids books, to video games, to day planners. It just seems like to me, EB’s commercial success just isn’t that big of a deal to him. With Itoi pulling the strings, NoJ isn’t in any position to rush him… Anyway, I just thought you [tomato] might have some insight into my theory.
This has always been my personal take on the situation – working on video games was just one tiny part of his career, like a side story almost. That’s why I’m always confused when I see fans cussing at him for not making a MOTHER 4.
Also, I very much think that although Itoi knows that the series is popular overseas, he doesn’t really grasp it. Even just the other day he remarked on Twitter how he was surprised by its overseas popularity. So it wouldn’t surprise me if nothing’s happened with the series (such as a Virtual Console release with the issues fixed) because he’s in no real rush to do anything with it.
That’s how I see it anyway – what do you think?
Other Related Posts:
20 Comments to Mailbag: Itoi and EarthBound
Featured Item on eBay:
***EARTHBOUND SNES SUPER NINTENDO GAME COSMETIC WEAR~~~
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...