Super Power’s EarthBound Review
August 30th, 2012 | Itoi
Today let’s take a look at my e-mails and pick a topic of discussion!
This one is from Nate and is about how Itoi probably views the MOTHER series/EarthBound:
Did you ever think that ‘the man’ Shigasato Itoi always thought as the Mother series as a trivial part of his career and like a picture-book story facet to his career that he never gave it too much thought as to it’s success outside Japan? Think about this: Mr. Itoi is a multi faceted celebrity in Japan. He produces everything from kids books, to video games, to day planners. It just seems like to me, EB’s commercial success just isn’t that big of a deal to him. With Itoi pulling the strings, NoJ isn’t in any position to rush him… Anyway, I just thought you [tomato] might have some insight into my theory.
This has always been my personal take on the situation – working on video games was just one tiny part of his career, like a side story almost. That’s why I’m always confused when I see fans cussing at him for not making a MOTHER 4.
Also, I very much think that although Itoi knows that the series is popular overseas, he doesn’t really grasp it. Even just the other day he remarked on Twitter how he was surprised by its overseas popularity. So it wouldn’t surprise me if nothing’s happened with the series (such as a Virtual Console release with the issues fixed) because he’s in no real rush to do anything with it.
That’s how I see it anyway – what do you think?
Other Related Posts:
20 Comments to Mailbag: Itoi and EarthBound
Leave a reply
- EpicJackman: No longer relevant. Sundaes are nice…
- Bob: I like the valuable information you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at again here regularly. I am rather...
- Halloween: Pretty funny, where do you find these?
- Vukadin: @KingOfSwords Thank you good sir, at least I know that I’m not the only one.
- johnr754: @Tente; Maybe it’s because the Japanese prefer minor change over major change. For example, Super Mario 64 did not do as well as...