An Early Look at EarthBound in Total! Magazine
A reader named Dan recently asked me this via e-mail, and I thought it was worth sharing here:
Just wondering about the creative delivery pun Escargo Express. Was that a localization gag or was it one that Itoi and company made in Japanese too?
In MOTHER 2, the company is called エスカルゴ運送, which translates very literally to “Escargot Transit” or “Escargot Shipping”, things along those lines. So from that view, the word play isn’t as strong as it is in English, but the whole idea of “Mach Pizza is super slow while Escargot Transit is super fast” thing is still very clear and obvious to Japanese players.
With that said, when the giant Mr. Saturn plushes were released a few years ago, they came in mock Escargo Express boxes. The interesting thing is that the text on the boxes was all in English, and wouldn’t you know it – they used the name “Escargot Express”:
It’s possible this was adapted from the English translation of the name, or maybe “Escargot Express” has always been the intended English name and this is just the first time we’re seeing it – kind of like what happened with the Pokey/Porky naming thing.
Personally, I really like the added pun the English translation has with “Escargo” 😛
I think it’d be neat to cover other little topics like this in this format, so if you have any questions about the MOTHER/EarthBound games (particularly the localizations) let me know and I’ll try to answer them in Q&A updates like this!
Other Related Posts:
11 Comments to Japanese Escargo Express
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?