August 17th, 2012 | Interviews, MOTHER 3

In a recent Kotaku interview, Satoru Iwata is asked about MOTHER 3 and mentions how he and Itoi are aware of the big Western fanbase for the series. Check it out here:

Nintendo Chief: Mario Is Part Of Gamers’ DNA

Still no real response on the subject though. But it’s at least clear that Reggie, Iwata, and Itoi are all very aware of the fanbase outside of Japan.

33 Comments to Iwata and Itoi Mention Western Fans

Tayo said on Aug. 17, 2012

Well, this is some good news I suppose. Iwata just talked to Itoi huh? Hm, maybe there’s hope for Mother 3 in the West. Or better yet, another Mother game!

Clockerstance said on Aug. 17, 2012

Maybe the desire to create for video games will once again awaken inside his heart.

Nintendork said on Aug. 17, 2012

Please… Make it happen

Punky said on Aug. 17, 2012

Funny how he did not say no and just said goodbye.

Halloween said on Aug. 17, 2012

Too bad so sad…

2Sang said on Aug. 17, 2012

One can dream

TheDreaminghawk said on Aug. 17, 2012

The new 3DS game crosswords plus has an EB reference, so it’s not dead!

Mr Rex said on Aug. 18, 2012

GBA emulator no more bring on the 3ds remake nintendo PLEEEEEEEZ!

gotaname said on Aug. 18, 2012

This how low we have stooped as fans: Being turned into a running gag….

Nintendork said on Aug. 18, 2012

At least they didn’t say no… If they are making a game , no doubt it will be top secret

Mato said on Aug. 18, 2012

Looking around online it seems like everyone else is taking this as some kind of glimmer of hope or that it’s a confirmation that something’s in the works. Maybe I’m just old and cynical and used to this by now but it sounds to me like it was just an acknowledgment and nothing more – nothing to be read into, nothing to dissect. If anything, it sounded like he was avoiding the question or not taking it seriously.

I hope I’m wrong but it’s just strange seeing everyone so excited over this super-quick mention.

Satsy said on Aug. 18, 2012

He definitely dodged giving an answer, and considering the question had nothing to do with Mario it’s understandable — he wasn’t there to answer Mother questions.

Though at the same time it’s also worth mentioning that Iwata and Itoi have been known to meet, and Itoi even did a segment on Iwata Asks. I’m under the impression that not everything they do is down to games.

The inner child wants it, the inner teenager is pounding at me to help or start a remake, and the rest of me is just interested in what comes next.

naja said on Aug. 18, 2012

Coincidence or not, Itoi mentioned Mother on his twitter just a few minutes ago:

Poe said on Aug. 18, 2012

While Mr. Iwata’s diplomatic response means nothing significant, it’s cool that the Kotaku guy was finally able to ask the Nintendo president in person. Must have been a cool moment for him :)

Satsy said on Aug. 18, 2012

(naja: He mentioned the MOTHER festival, an event that happen in Japan. The 321 Mother books I’ve scanned, near as I can tell, come from those events.

Or more, he mentioned a ‘shadow’ version of it, but I lack details of what’s been going on with the event/convention to be able to explain what this is about.)

Raffa said on Aug. 18, 2012

@naja

What did he say?

Furball200x said on Aug. 18, 2012

Tomato, can you translate Itoi’s tweet that Naja mentioned?

Mato said on Aug. 18, 2012

I’m pretty sure it’s nothing to do with the “Mother Festival” event – it sounds like just a couple people from the old days happened to visit the same town the other day, and a couple others Tweeted about it. It seems like it has almost nothing to do with the game at all and just some old friends talking.

Not only that, the talk about mothers seems to be about some lady named Linda who Itoi knows who’s a new mother.

Mato said on Aug. 18, 2012

Oh man, I love these Gamefaqs thread titles :P

Iwata wont deny earthbound isnt coming to the west/

and

BREAKING, DEADLY NEWS: Mother 3 coming to America?!

michaelO2000 said on Aug. 18, 2012

I am agreeing with Tomatoa on this one, I don’t think this means we are getting MOTHER 3 (or the rest of the Mother series), I think it just means that Nintendo would love to do something MOTHER related, but they can’t,….
………. or Nintendo is hiding something from us.

Ness1985 said on Aug. 18, 2012

See how he avoided the question twice? It’s likely not to happen.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Aug. 18, 2012

Iwata just said that he knows that there are fans fron the West.

Doesn’t exactly correlate to Mother 3 going to America, especially when the GBA “died”.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Aug. 18, 2012

P.S. I, on the other hand, got excited when I read the title. Than I read Mato’s comments…

KirbyPlatinum said on Aug. 18, 2012

I got excited with this news,no matter what.

I mean,it’s not everyday that we get Iwata talking about mother in the west like this.

BusterTheFox said on Aug. 18, 2012

Hmm. I remember he mentioned Earthbound at e3, too. :p Deep down I hold a huge hope, but my mind says to let it go, let it go… I dunno how they schedule stuff over there, but I have to wonder if he was visiting with Itoi just for a friendly cup of tea. xD EVERYONE, WE’RE GETTING ANOTHER BASS FISHING, YES. Haha!

JB2448 said on Aug. 18, 2012

Since we’re on the subject of Iwata and Itoi, I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned the discussion they had in 2007 (that was even translated into English!), Mato: http://www.1101.com/iwata/
It’s definitely an interesting read, and I’m pretty sure EarthBound gets an off-hand reference (with the translation actually referring to it as “EarthBound,” not “MOTHER 2.”

Ostricho said on Aug. 19, 2012

Whether Tomato thinks it’s a glitter of hope or not, I’m going to take this as a hope for a future remake.

Earthbounder said on Aug. 19, 2012

I don’t understand why they just won’t bring mother 3 to the west. Oh well, I can always hope.

sTARMEN said on Aug. 19, 2012

I honestly dont see anything special coming out of this. Remember when that fan asked reggie about mother 3 at that picnic/lunch thing? That is the exact thing that happend here to where he just laughed it off…

Nimbus said on Sep. 2, 2012

I hate to seem pessimistic, but I see this more as a bad thing than a glimmer of hope. If Nintendo was unaware that there was a big fanbase then the solution would simply be “hey, let’s show them we want Mother games.”

The fact that they are aware that the series has a large fan following and yet they still refuse to localize the games shows that they just don’t care about us.

Earthboundian said on Sep. 11, 2012

If they did make a remake it will most likely be on the ds type of consles.

Kooky von Koopa said on Sep. 12, 2012

LOL! I am the guy from GameFAQS that wrote: “BREAKING, DEADLY NEWS: Mother 3 coming to America?!”

The reason I wrote that was because I felt too hyped, and I screwed the title.

Apple Kid said on Sep. 13, 2012

You know this may be the glimmer of hope we need. I just saw a pokemon commercial and even though the overworld is still earthboundish the battle system is pushing the 3ds graphic limits, apparently. So if this is hinting a 3ds remake the battle system may involve small movements by the enemy ( like the annoying old party man/ annoying reveler swaying back and forth) but for the most part this is just a refrence to us so it doesn’t really matter. If only they gave Itoi that push…

Find Merchandise!