Random Post:

MOTHER Figures Unboxed

August 11th, 2012 | MOTHER 1

There’s something I’ve been wondering about lately. Here’s the back story of MOTHER 1:

And, as we learn early on, George is Ninten’s great-grandfather.

What I’m curious about is when did George and Maria have a kid in the first place?

They couldn’t have had a kid after the abduction – unless it somehow wound up back on Earth too, but it’s strange that that would be left out of the story.

I suppose it’s possible they had a kid before they were abducted, but there’s no mention of a child at all – you’d think something as traumatic as a kid being torn away his/her family would get a mention. Plus, for some reason, I always had the impression that they were newlyweds or that they were at least somewhat young. I guess they could’ve been middle-aged or old people, but Queen Mary never gave off any sort of old person vibe.

I’m sure I’m missing something important here, so if you have any ideas share them in the comments!

41 Comments to George and Maria’s Child

100earthbound said on Aug. 11, 2012

I think that their kid was at a friends house for the summer, and had so much fun there that he/she forgot them. Good story?

resetsurvivor said on Aug. 11, 2012

I always assumed they were young as well. After what you said, maybe they were around there 40s and already had a child. Is Ninten’s age known? You could work backwards from there. If he’s 12 in the early 80’s (85). Born in 73. Parents maybe 20-30 at that time. 1953/43 they were born. It could work, right?

Satsy said on Aug. 11, 2012

I think this concern goes to show us how much the games leave for us to fill in blanks.

Why do we not hear anything of Loid’s mother? Why is he in Merrysville/Thanksgiving while his father is in Youngtown/Easter?

Why do we not hear anything about Jeff’s mother? We know he didn’t see his father in 10 years, but was all that time spent in the school? While some boarding houses will accept ages as young as 3, most will only take them around 5.

How is Ness’s (and Ninten’s) dad able to wire so much cash to the kid? And is it really okay for him to break the fourth wall as he does? 😉

There are a lot of questions. And nobody is willing to give a final answer.

Douglas said on Aug. 11, 2012

Why assume that he had a child with Marie? Does it say anywhere that Marie is Ninten’s great grandmother?

Kuranes said on Aug. 11, 2012

remarried

100earthbound said on Aug. 11, 2012

@ Satsy my sisters think Jeff’s mom is an alien so Jeff is not human. I think his mom has such a tragic death that they never want to talk about it.

SombreroFurinto said on Aug. 11, 2012

I remember when Kenisu translated the Official Mother Encyclopedia on Starmen.Net, and dug up a lot of obscure info on the Japanese release such as Prime Rib being the “default” favorite food, clarity on Teddy’s parents, etc (as well as being one of the earlier supporters that Roido/Loid was intended to be Lloyd, if I recall). But anyway, I think the guidebook explained that they had some children that are in their young adult years and moved away. I could be wrong, though.

NickelDime said on Aug. 11, 2012

Huuuuuh…Never noticed that. I just naturally assumed their kid grew up and they were old…

Nintendork said on Aug. 11, 2012

I remember an interview with itoi: he was talking about the dad in EB and he said that he wanted it to be like someone was always watching over ness from afar. Maybe they had their kid, got abducted, and Maria watched over the kid like a god type thing?

linkdude20002001 said on Aug. 11, 2012

From what Kenisu translated from the Encyclopedia Mother, I just assumed they must’ve had children already and they just grew up by that point. It at least mentioned back story about Maria playing the piano and singing to children. I don’t remember if it SAID they were her children…but it’s probably safe to assume.

Mr Rex said on Aug. 11, 2012

Satsy said on Aug. 11, 2012

Mr Rex: Why do you assume it was only 10 years in the past? I don’t think there’s ever any clarity on how far in time the robots have to travel.

But this is what I mean — lots of gaps for us to fill. 😉

The best part being there are assumptions the mind automatically jumps to in these games, before we realise there was nothing to suggest what we think is the case. (or is that just me?)

Earthstuff said on Aug. 11, 2012

George remarried?

Or adopted?

Or has he been unfaithful for awhile?

Furball200x said on Aug. 11, 2012

Giygas is psychic. Giygas was raised by George and Maria. Ninten is thier great-grandson. Ninten is psychic.

Think about it.

PKSoul said on Aug. 11, 2012

Then why would Giygas give Ninten hints, like about the basement and PSI, if Ninten is trying to defeat him?

Furball200x said on Aug. 11, 2012

I’m saying that Maria and Giygas could have possibly had a child. DON’T THINK OF IT LIKE THAT EWWWWW. Think of it like mythology; Giygas gave Maria a child like how Zeus gave Danae Perseus.

PKSoul said on Aug. 11, 2012

oh. derp.

I thought you meant Giygas was Ninten’s dad.

Furball200x said on Aug. 11, 2012

Or Giygas could be considered as George and Maria’s adoptive son, making him Ninten’s grandfather. This is the more likely set of events.

PKSoul said on Aug. 11, 2012

Oh, I got it wrong.

George is his great-grandfather, not his grandfather. I thought George had Giygas as an adoptive son, then Giygas had Ninten, and was calling him on phone about PSI and stuff.

But what your saying makes sense.

Tayo said on Aug. 11, 2012

I think people are just over-thinking this. It’s established that George and Maria were married when they were abducted. We have no idea how old they were, yet in the Japanese version of Mother 1, it mentions “young” married couple. Despite being “young,” that doesn’t mean they haven’t been married for a short time. They could have married in the their early twenties and still be considered young after 5-7 years if they’re still in their twenties. With that in mind, it’s possible they could have already had children after getting married. Although the game never mentions that, it just isn’t important to the plot I guess to mention.

As for Ninten’s ability to use PSI. It seems like PSI is kind of both “contagious” in a sense and hereditary. Various objects and animals in Mother 2 are able to us PSI due to Giygas’ influence, and Ninten and Ana could possibly both or just Ana be affected due to Giygas coming to Earth. Ana was said to have been famous in Snowman for her psychic powers, and her mother had also disappeared (as we know, she was abducted by Giygas). It’s possible the presence of Starmen and Giygas’ invasion, that she could have developed these powers. Ninten on the other hand could have also been affected, or he could have also inherited them. If he inherited them, that means that at least one of George and Maria’s children had to have been affected. Since George left a diary about the future events, he may have still raised his kid(s) when he got back to Earth after 2 years. He could have taught one of them since he seemed to know about Ninten and what he would do.

So, in conclusion, there seems to be the possibility that they had children. In the Mother Encyclopedia, it says “From an early point, it became an undying custom in their home where Maria, who had been getting accustomed to song and piano, after dinner and after cleaning up, would hold a mini-concert, with her husband George and the children as the audience.” Notice it says in their “home.” After dinner, holding a “mini” concert. Unless they for some reason would have children from around Mother’s Day coming to their house after dinner (which the children would have to somehow know when. Note this takes place in the very early 1900s), this sounds much more like they were George and Maria’s own children. I think it’s quite possible they had children before they were abducted and that one of them is the grandparent of Ninten.

Gilbert Smith said on Aug. 11, 2012

Some ideas that might make sense:

George and Maria’s child was made in a lab with alien technology, explaining the psychic powers

George and Maria’s child had already left home and that’s why they warmed to Giegue so quickly

Giegue and their real child got switched in some crazy sitcom premise-esque incident, and then switched back some years later.

As Magicant was a projection of Maria’s psyche, so too was their child.

Gilbert Smith said on Aug. 11, 2012

“Strange research” = Making a clone of Maria and raising it as a daughter?

Gilbert Smith said on Aug. 11, 2012

The sci-fi and psychic elements of the story create about a billion extra possibilities beyond “The kid already left home.”

kenisu said on Aug. 11, 2012

Yeah, for years it’s sort of bothered me that there’s never any in-game mention of George and Maria’s children. Not only that, but having them be Ninten’s great-grandparents is a bit of a stretch for 80 whole years, when it would make loads more sense if they were his *twice*-great-grandparents. So to my mind, they would’ve had to have been awfully young at the time of their alien encounter. The explanation I came up with for my poor ol’ fancomic was that their 6-year old son was in the care of Maria’s sister when they were abducted, and said son was so shy around the ladies that he didn’t manage to find a sweetheart until he was in his 40s.

gfd sprinklefish said on Aug. 12, 2012

maria doesnt hav to be the mom. he cood have found another lady.

NickelDime said on Aug. 12, 2012

Tayo, that theory is awesome. I now consider that my new point of view.

100earthbound said on Aug. 12, 2012

sorry 4 being off topic but im making an Earthbound party on club penguin server icebound at the ice burg. my name is Zuzu19 and say something EB related to prove you read this. PLEASE COME!!! im wating to meet you guys. see you there 🙂

100earthbound said on Aug. 12, 2012

sorry if im late… but please come!

Daniel said on Aug. 12, 2012

I’m pretty sure this is just a flaw in the game. The writers probably didn’t even think about it.

Tayo said on Aug. 12, 2012

@NickelDime: Thanks, but I tend to ramble haha.

@Daniel: I have more doubt for it being a flaw. I love the story of the series and the complexity of the story of Giygas. Mother was known for having a much more in depth and detailed story than any other RPG for its time. With that in mind and the Mother Encyclopedia reiterating these details, I think it’s safe to conclude that it’s highly unlikely it’s a flaw.

EmeraldWind said on Aug. 13, 2012

Ninten is said to greatly resemble Queen Mary in Magicant. Giygas was also going to give Ninten a chance to escape the invasion of Earth. I think it is safe to say that Ninten was somehow related to Maria genetically.

Plus, George and Maria were chosen to raise Giygas. Why would the alien chose an inexperienced couple to raise a child?

Also considering George’s last words to Ninten and the amount of effort George put into preparing for Ninten’s adventure (deeply immersed). George was still in love with Maria and way too busy to find another woman.

SSBMaster11 said on Aug. 13, 2012

lol, Tayo. “I think people are just over-thinking this.” *posts longest comment in entire discussion*

@ Satsy, Ness’ dad can afford to give Ness so much money, because he was loaned “maybe a hundred thousand dollars or more” from Pokey’s dad.

Anonymous said on Aug. 13, 2012

George couldn’t have remarried, because somebody in Magicant mentions that Ninten looks a lot like Queen Mary…. Unless George married a sister of Maria? 0_o

Tayo said on Aug. 13, 2012

EmeraldWind: It’s already established that Ninten is related to George and Maria genetically, that’s why Giygas calls George and Maria Ninten’s “Great-grandparents.” And just as you pointed out, Ninten supposedly looked a lot like Queen Mary. (Although, you’d think he’d lose some kind of resemblance after three generations.)

SSBMAaster11: Over-thinking has less to do with how long my post is than it does with how productively and logically it explains my thoughts. I tried to leave less room for doubt.

EmeraldWind said on Aug. 13, 2012

Tayo: I mostly typed that out because a couple people were suggesting that Maria can’t be Ninten’s GGM and George remarried. But the game does establish a decent more than some people seemed to recall.

And plus it seemed to me that Giygas offer Ninten the escape simply because he was related to Maria and maybe a little due to the resemblance to Maria. As for resemblance fading after three generations, it doesn’t necessarily. My Grandmother, mother, and sister look a lot alike. Different but similar enough that sometimes the resemblance seems to shine through at different moments. It could be the Ninten was simply enough like Maria to invoke her memory in Giygas and the Magicant citizen.

Another theory could be explain with Harry Potter invoking his mother’s likeness simply through his eyes. Marie might have had some kind of outstanding feature that she shared with Ninten.

flintsdoorknob said on Aug. 14, 2012

It’s been awhile since I’ve read about Mother 1, and I am atrocious at oldschool RPGs so I haven’t played it yet.

Ninten’s dad is always missing and sort of a crappy father to put it bluntly. What if he’s their child? He couldn’t explain it to Ninten because he’s never around.

flintsdoorknob said on Aug. 14, 2012

@Mr Rex “There are lots of questions we can ask about the mother series. Where did the Mr Saturns come from? How come praying 10 years in the past still connects with people you met only in the present? Where did the Tendas come from?”

I always found it very suspicious that the Tenda and Mr. Saturn lived in areas that had mushrooms growing on the floor, and even gave you tea that made you very introspective and caused one of those psychedelic backgrounds to appear. It is a game about the 60’s I wouldn’t be surprised if it had the same origins as all those weird monsters from the Yellow Submarine.

I’m trying to sugarcoat the way that I interpreted them as drug trips that the kids don’t understand because they’re kids. And all us playing when we were younger as well. That’s what most of the game is about anyways. Not drugs, just a lot of f’d up crap that you don’t understand how messed up it actually is until you grow up. Giygas was them growing up. Which is probably what Itoi felt when he walked into that movie.

It’s ALL speculation though I am happy that everyone interprets it in different ways and that there are many interpretations because thats’ what makes videogames so good in the first place.

neonix said on Aug. 14, 2012

This could be great potential for a fan game:

“Earthbound Negative One”

… haha.

SpashBanjo said on Sep. 4, 2012

Wow, never thought about that…

OniellFord said on Sep. 9, 2012

I always thought that when George & Maria were abducted, it changed them somehow. Then they (the aliens that abducted them) sent George back to Earth while Maria was pregnant. So, George studied PSI. Probably knowing that Giygas would return and that Ninten, or any of his kids, would have to defeat them.

But then I read somewhere that Giygas/Giegue was their child.

Hmm… WikiBound’s article on Giygas/Giegue claims that George used PSI without the permission of Giygas’ kind to escape and return to Earth, thus alerting and angering the aliens of his escape and launching an attack.

@neonix lol. Or maybe it should be called “Mother Zero”?

Kraken of the sea said on Dec. 8, 2012