August 29th, 2012 | Itoi

The other day Shigesato Itoi posted a short thing on Twitter. A couple people sent in news about it, so I’ll share it here. He said:

I was trying to remember who among my acquaintances has been to Venezuela… but I can’t think of anyone. It’s a mystifying feeling, having someone from Venezuela strike up a conversation with me. “MOTHER” really has traveled all around the world.

Obviously that’s a quick translation, he didn’t actually say that in English ๐Ÿ˜›

18 Comments to A Tweet from Itoi

edgethelucas said on Aug. 29, 2012

I’m not sure I understand this post. So basically Itoi tweeted that he thinks he’s spoken with someone from Venezuela, but he’s not sure? And he says that MOTHER’s appeal was responsible for the conversation having taken place? Anyone else know what’s going on? Maybe something was lost in the tweet’s translation?

Punky said on Aug. 29, 2012

It would appear someone from there struck a conversation with Itoi. Maybe about Mother having a strong support or following. My two cents.

Ness said on Aug. 29, 2012

Go MOTHER!!

Mato said on Aug. 29, 2012

It sounds like he ran into some from Venezuela who knows about him and he was trying to remember if it was someone he knew, but it seems it was a MOTHER fan instead.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Aug. 29, 2012

Yeah, I don’t get it either…actually, now I do. It’s because I misread this line.

“โ€œMOTHERโ€ really has traveled all around the world.”

I thought it was:

“โ€œMOTHERโ€ really has traveled *me* all around the world.”

Basically, he says that the Mother series is much more recognized than it used to be. If the translation’s correct.

Gooptek said on Aug. 29, 2012

Venezuela?
Hmm… Venezuela…
Gosh. I was born there. (O-O)

Nat said on Aug. 29, 2012

Tomato–I think I disagree with your interpretation (although your translation is solid). I took a look at the Japanese:

ใƒ™ใƒใ‚บใ‚จใƒฉใซ่กŒใฃใŸใ“ใจใ‚ใ‚‹ไบบใ€็Ÿฅใ‚Šๅˆใ„ใซใ„ใŸใฃใ‘ใชโ€ฆใจๆ€ใ„ๅ‡บใ—ใฆใ‚‹ใ‚“ใ ใ‘ใฉใ€ใชใ‹ใชใ‹ใ„ใชใ„ใ€‚ใใ‚“ใชใƒ™ใƒใ‚บใ‚จใƒฉใ‹ใ‚‰ๅ‘ผใณใ‹ใ‘ใ‚‰ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใชใ‚“ใฆใ€ไธๆ€่ญฐใชๆฐ—ๆŒใกใ€‚ใ€ŒMOTHERใ€ใฃใฆใ€ไธ–็•Œใ‚’ๆ—…ใ—ใฆใŸใ‚“ใ ใญใ€‚

Since he’s thinking about acquaintances who’ve been there (not acquaintances who ARE there), I think he’s commenting on how crazy it is to get a message from a country that’s so exotic that he doesn’t even know anyone who’s ever been there.

Rina said on Aug. 29, 2012

@Nat- yeah that sounds right. :3

And this is definitely me reading too much into it, but the last sentence sounds sort of like someone talking about a friend he hasn’t met in a really long time. Like somehow hearing what he has been up to these days, and being like” oh so he’s been doing this…”. Kinda sad in a way.

Mato said on Aug. 29, 2012

Nat: Oops, my quick reading of it I saw ใ„ใŸใ€€and not ใ„ใฃใŸ, thanks!

Tayo said on Aug. 30, 2012

Hm, this is what I translate. “I’m trying to recall anyone I know that has been to Venezuela, but I can’t think of anyone. Getting a call from a place like Venezeula, what a strange feeling. ‘Mother’ has really traveled across the world.” I just get the idea from the Japanese that he’s surprised to see that Mother’s fame has reached pretty far, further than he must have thought… I hope it makes him consider the fans he has all around the world.

Kyosuke said on Aug. 30, 2012

Haha! Now Itoi is complaining in his most recent tweet about how he doesn’t think he looks like Brad Pitt.

ใ€ŒใฃใŸใใ‚‚ใ†โ€ฅโ€ฅใŠใ‚Œใ€ใƒ–ใƒฉใƒ”ใซไผผใฆใชใ„ใ‚ˆใชใ๏ผŸใ€

Kyosuke said on Aug. 30, 2012

Meaning, it seems like a lot of people tell him he looks like Brad Pitt, but Itoi doesn’t think so and he seems to be getting tired of it, from the way he worded his post.

NecrosaroIII said on Aug. 30, 2012

I think he looks better than Brad Pitt, personally. Especially considering his age. He’s a pretty fashionable dude.

FreshManZX said on Aug. 30, 2012

I tweeted him, I’m from Venezuela and my account name is FreshManZX. I was so excited when he answer me, and the he wrote this tweet.

This is what I send him, in japanese of course, and he retweet it ” @itoi_shigesato ใ“ใ‚“ใซใกใ‚ใ€ใ‚ใชใŸใ‚ใ“ใ‚Œใซ็ญ”ใˆใฆใ‚‹ๅ ดๅˆ๏ผŒใ‚ใŸใ—ใ‚ๅ–œใ‚“ใง่ฆใ‚‹ใ ใ‚ใ€ใƒ™ใƒใ‚บใ‚จใƒฉใ‹ใ‚‰ใฎใ”ๆŒจๆ‹ถ” I lost the original text, sorry for that..

FreshManZX said on Aug. 30, 2012

and then* he wrote this tweet.
Damn Typo

Tayo said on Aug. 30, 2012

@FreshManZX: I’m not really sure how he’d get anything “Mother” related out of that tweet. Plus, did you use a translation program or something? That Japanese is unnatural, plus you have to use ใฏ instead of ใ‚ for the “wa” particle. This is how I translate your tweet nonetheless. “@itoi_shigesato Hello, if you reply to this, I will be very glad. Greetings from Venezuela.”

FreshManZX said on Aug. 30, 2012

He asume that I was just another Mother fan from a country where he doesn’t know one in particular, and I didn’t even asked something about Mother.. Also, a friend of mine traslates that in english to japanese.

Tayo said on Aug. 30, 2012

I find it kind of hard to believe that he’d just “assume” you’re Mother fan. I mean, Mother isn’t the only series he has worked on. He’s famous for many other things.