August 21st, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

A while back I posted about an article by Pitchfork that went into extreme detail about MOTHER/EarthBound Zero. You can find that here.

Very recently he’s posted a new write-up, this time about EarthBound. It’s a long but informative read – check it out sometime!

13 Comments to A Detailed Analysis of EarthBound

CrouchingMouse said on Aug. 21, 2012

I read that yesterday. Took a while (his articles are always super-long), but it was really good. especially when he gets into the particulars of Ness and Pokey’s relationship.

poben said on Aug. 21, 2012

awesome! I remember legitimately saying “I can’t wait for part two,” to myself after reading the Mother article by Pitchfork.
thanks for posting this.

Tayo said on Aug. 21, 2012

I shall read this one when I get my copy of Earthbound this week, play and enjoy it to death, and actually understand it. I’ve only finished Mother a couple weeks ago, so I went on a ballistic Ebay search to get a real copy of Earthbound.

Anonymous said on Aug. 21, 2012

“Zap Rowsdower kept praying.”
XD

Tobias said on Aug. 21, 2012

yay, you posted my link!

Punky said on Aug. 21, 2012

I remember going ballistic when searching for an EB cartridge. When I finally landed one about a month ago, I went crazy and I’m still playing it at the moment. I’ve never been so captured by a game. Now I’m on the hunt for Mother 3. And learning japanese. ><

Earthbounder said on Aug. 21, 2012

Great article!!! I loved how you went in great detail on the marketing. I always wondered why they used what they did. I got earthbound when I was 5 or 6 so I always had it. But when did people actually start going crazy for it? Was it because of ssb? Or was it just word of mouth? I always loved earthbound I cant honestly see why people would say its bad. It was a great game to me as a kid and me now.

Leeaux said on Aug. 22, 2012

This reminds me of another artcle Tomato posted before about detailed analysis of Earthbound.

I remember him saying in it, the player didn’t beat the Giygas cause he was super high level, you had to pray, you had to beat him because you WANTED to. And I remember thinking that was really true. He said a lot of other things too but I don’t remember where the article is.

Anyway fantastic read!

naja said on Aug. 22, 2012

Pitchfork?… well I guess that’s the guy’s nickname, for a moment I thought otherwise. whew.

poben said on Aug. 22, 2012

great write-up.
near the end, about the “silver tail” being Pokey’s XX stone or whatever: blew my mind

Dan said on Aug. 22, 2012

Thanks for sharing that link, Tomato. Great article, Pitchfork!

Mrs. Saturn said on Aug. 25, 2012

Wow, that was a great write-up. Can’t wait to read what he has to say about Mother 3!

Dr.Starky said on Aug. 29, 2012

I always thought Porky was eviler and scarier than Giygas and I’m glad to see someone who agrees.