A MOTHER 1+2 & 3 Interview
Popular Posts:None found
There’s a book called “1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die“, and it sounds like EarthBound and MOTHER 3 are included.
Here’s what the EarthBound one says:
EarthBound remains one of those titles that is name-checked by the video gaming cognoscenti more often than it’s actually been played, and that’s a crying shame, as the game behind the reputation is utterly brilliant. A quirky, comical RPG set in the real world rather than a mythical yesteryear filled with dragons and fairies, EarthBound is vivid, colorful and consistently surprising, filled with memorable enemies and beautiful Americana-influenced backdrops, and centered on a brave band of backyard heroes setting off on the most unlikely of quests.
In Japan, the Mother series of games–of which EarthBound is the second installment–is a massive RPG franchise, up there with the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. In the West, however, the titles have had a harder time making their mark. The first game was translated but never released–it lives on as a full-time Internet rumor, going by the name of EarthBound Zero–and the third, and most recent, game is available in a very gray sense via loving fan translation.
Only EarthBound itself made it across intact, which is still something to be thankful for, as the series’ oddball foibles (in the original Mother, the first enemy character to bring the player under attack takes the form of a humble table lamp) hardly make for bestseller material.
Which is strange, really, as the overworld is charming and interesting, the characters are utterly adorable, and the battle system is so refined that you have the option of dropping out entirely and letting the game handle all conflicts automatically. Regardless of its lack of success on Western shores, EarthBound continues to exist in some corner of the gaming landscape where it’s always midnight in the suburbs, where aliens lurk in the darkness and adventure awaits around every bend.
You can get a copy of the book here if you’re interested in reading more!
Thanks to Digsu for the info!
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to Play These Before You Die!
Featured Item on eBay:
Earthbound Super DX Soft Vinyl Figure Mother 2 MrSaturn Doseisan Banpresto
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.