Mother: Cognitive Dissonance 2.0 Released
There’s a book called “1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die“, and it sounds like EarthBound and MOTHER 3 are included.
Here’s what the EarthBound one says:
EarthBound remains one of those titles that is name-checked by the video gaming cognoscenti more often than it’s actually been played, and that’s a crying shame, as the game behind the reputation is utterly brilliant. A quirky, comical RPG set in the real world rather than a mythical yesteryear filled with dragons and fairies, EarthBound is vivid, colorful and consistently surprising, filled with memorable enemies and beautiful Americana-influenced backdrops, and centered on a brave band of backyard heroes setting off on the most unlikely of quests.
In Japan, the Mother series of games–of which EarthBound is the second installment–is a massive RPG franchise, up there with the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. In the West, however, the titles have had a harder time making their mark. The first game was translated but never released–it lives on as a full-time Internet rumor, going by the name of EarthBound Zero–and the third, and most recent, game is available in a very gray sense via loving fan translation.
Only EarthBound itself made it across intact, which is still something to be thankful for, as the series’ oddball foibles (in the original Mother, the first enemy character to bring the player under attack takes the form of a humble table lamp) hardly make for bestseller material.
Which is strange, really, as the overworld is charming and interesting, the characters are utterly adorable, and the battle system is so refined that you have the option of dropping out entirely and letting the game handle all conflicts automatically. Regardless of its lack of success on Western shores, EarthBound continues to exist in some corner of the gaming landscape where it’s always midnight in the suburbs, where aliens lurk in the darkness and adventure awaits around every bend.
You can get a copy of the book here if you’re interested in reading more!
Thanks to Digsu for the info!
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to Play These Before You Die!
Featured Item on eBay:
RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic