June 14th, 2012 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

While translating MOTHER 3, we came across a stat called “Kindness” that seemed to be unused. It doesn’t show up in the final game, but apparently it will appear in really crazy cases, like if you glitch the game and gain a ton of levels at once:

I *still* don’t know what this stat is for, if there’s actually a variable for it in the game anymore, or anything else. Maybe one of these days we’ll figure out the mystery, but if you have any ideas, please share them!

Maybe related, maybe not, but there’s also apparently an unused battle command called something like “Consider” or “Give consideration”. I wonder if they’re connected somehow.

28 Comments to MOTHER 3’s Kindness Stat

Hukky said on Jun. 14, 2012

You forgot to mention that the unused Memo menu has some info on the Kindness stat.

“This is one of the most important things for us humans, so let’s be kind to others.
If your “Kindness” goes up, something good is bound to happen.”

And of course, the Kindness stat is often theorised to be connected with the “warm feeling in your heart” things at some points in the game.

MaxOfS2D said on Jun. 14, 2012

I’m thinking it could have been linked to random events or such? Like “luck”?

gotaname said on Jun. 14, 2012

Wouldn’t it be an idea to go straight to the source and ask someone from the original developers team about it?

SomeUser said on Jun. 14, 2012

Two people in the comments suggested the kindness stat had something to do with PSI Lifeup or PK Love.

The first person said Kindness had something to do with PSI Lifeup because a Level 99 Lucas heals everyone 200-300 HP, but a Level 255 Lucas heals everyone for 500-700 HP.

That makes and doesn’t make sense at the same time. It’s like he didn’t notice the massive stat boosts or something.

Sonictheawesomesauce said on Jun. 14, 2012

I’m thinking that it is for getting more “Smash!” hits.

HexploringUser said on Jun. 14, 2012

Some actions in the game actually will modify the Kindness stat. As an example, talking to the mouse in Osohe Castle after defeating Mr. Passion will award Duster his first Kindness point.

Duster’s Kindness stat is stored at 02004280 in the GBA memory. For reference, his IQ and Speed stats are at 0200427E and 0200427F, respectively.

At the end of my most recent playthrough, Duster had a Kindness stat of 2, Lucas had a Kindness stat of 3, Kumatora’s was 2, and Boney’s was 3.

I think that actions that modify the Kindness stat work on all members in the party at the time except for talking to the mouse in Osohe Castle. Even if you use a cheat code or the Debug Room to edit the party before fighting Mr. Passion, only Duster will get the Kindness bonus.

Flint does not get any opportunities for warm feelings in his heart, so his Kindness maxes out at 0.

PSI Gaming! said on Jun. 14, 2012

I think the “consider” command was gonna be used in boss battles. If not, maybe in the human bosses and human enemies? It was probably hard to program it on specific enemies (although Giygas has the “Pray” command, he’s just one enemy) so they dropped the idea. Also, I think the unused command has something to do with the Kindness stat, too.

BusterTheFox said on Jun. 14, 2012

I guess if Duster and Boney get strong enough, they suddenly realize the power of PSI. Haha! But just for a moment.

How kind of you to have made a blog post about this! (I would say “no pun intended”, but I was obviously intending to use that pun, so)

PSI Gaming! said on Jun. 14, 2012

Hmm… now I’m thinking that the Kindness stat has something to do with the canceled Nintendo 64 Disk Drive. Maybe it has random events based on how high it is? Like karma?

Buster The Fox said on Jun. 14, 2012

Interesting theory; maybe the original Mother 3 was going to have separate story paths that would sometimes be affected by Kindness. Or otherwise something like a certain one-off case where you either do or don’t get a powerful item if your Kindness is high enough.

P.S.: I registered yay 😀

Buster The Fox said on Jun. 14, 2012

P.P.S.: I’m Hinawa, FFFFFUUUUU

Juanito said on Jun. 14, 2012

It’s a hunch, but I suspect the Kindness stat would affect certain story elements in the game.

For example, there’s an unused sprite where Flint kills the Mecha-Drago.

Perhaps at one point, the player had the choice of sparing or killing the Mecha-Drago. Sparing him would be considered an act of kindness.

There’s also an unused sprite of Porky dying.

Perhaps there was also a choice to kill or spare Porky.

My evidence for this is severely lacking. I’m just throwing it out there as a possibility.

RandomGuardian said on Jun. 14, 2012

Heh I made that gif and uploaded it 😛

RandomGuardian said on Jun. 14, 2012

Double posting but I should point out that because there are two gifs I only made the porky one 😆
Can’t take credit for the flint one. It’s not even on the tcrf wiki. I should clean it up and upload it sometime.

Stuffgamer1 said on Jun. 14, 2012

I read the reference to “Kindness” in the Memo and figured it was a hidden stat that had something to do with the warm feelings…but I had no idea it was an unused stat. That’s quite interesting.

@PSI Gaming!: The “pray” command actually exists throughout the entire game, offering randomized effects when used. People just usually don’t use it, which would make it all the harder to figure out on your own that you need to. This problem would really only affect people in the pre-internet age who got the game used sans guide, so it’s not LIKELY to be a huge issue, but still…

On a side-note, I’m currently playing through Mother 3 and I really did say my favorite thing is Gaming. 😀

James said on Jun. 14, 2012

I get the feeling the kindness stat would have been used when talking to random people, like they would or would not give an item to somebody based on their kindness level. Just an idea…

Piksel said on Jun. 14, 2012

Wow, all your guy’s ideas are AMAZING! I personally think what someone on YouTube thought. Maybe it could effect your PSI, like PSI Lifeup. Or, strengthen PK Love. (But that might not make sense, because PK Love is an offense-type PSI..XD) Also, I have NEVER seen that Flint animation. And you (Juanito) are the first person I’ve seen to connect that. Interesting ideas, ounce again!

gBev said on Jun. 14, 2012

I’m thinking something along the lines of what Juanito said. One of the ‘darker’ elements of the original ideas for Mother 3 that Itoi hinted at could have been that your actions in the game could actually affect the story that follows. If the idea wasn’t canned until late in development for some reason, things like saving the mouse might have been left in because they still fit the feel of the game, with them just not bothering to remove the stat increase. I kind of doubt it would have had any bearing on battles though, I think the glitch might have just been pulling up the name of a random stat in that video.

PSI Gaming! said on Jun. 15, 2012

Oh, darnit. This school stuff is giving me a headache. 😀

KingOfSwords said on Jun. 15, 2012

Maybe it was originally planned that you only get the full ending of the game if your Kindness is maxed?

Crysta said on Jun. 15, 2012

Has anybody tried using codes to max out the stat for everyone from the beginning then going through the game to see if anything is different? It might not be unused.. it might just be naturally so low with what’s left of it that stuff that could be activating isn’t.

Mato said on Jun. 15, 2012

HexploringUser: When one of these Kindness stat increases happens (like in the video) does the stat at the locations you provided change too? Because it seems crazy that a stat that’s supposed to be just 1 or 2 at most was allowed to increase by 100+ in battle.

Andydark said on Jun. 15, 2012

What determines the success of things like Duster’s thief tools?

Perhaps it factors into various factors of each character?
Life-up for Lucas
??? for Kumatora
Tools for Duster
Whether or not Boney eats items for himself? 😛

HexploringUser said on Jun. 15, 2012

As for getting 100+ Kindness during level up: The best guess I can think of is that character stat growth rates are different for each level, but the Kindness rate is always at 0 for levels 2-99. When reaching Level 100 and up, it overflows into irrelevant data for which Kindness growth rates would appear to be non-zero simply because that data was meant for something else.

But I do not know Mother 3’s formulas for leveling up, so I could be missing something. If the formulas are anything like Earthbound’s, then Kindness should not change no matter how much the characters level up. If someone made a document detailing Mother 3’s formulas, I might be able to provide a better guess.

Overflow problems happen in other games when using cheats as well. For example, in Super Mario World, Mario jumps higher the faster he is running, but the jump strengths are stored in a table where the faster his speed, the greater the index he reads, but only 8 values are stored each for the normal jump and the Spin Jump. To overflow, he would need to meet or exceed 4/3 his fastest possible speed. When not using the Spin Jump, the jump strengths being read are 00, so Mario fails to jump at all.
PAR codes to test in the SNES USA version: 00D538:60 00D53A:60 00D53C:60 (only works when running right, not left)

flintlock said on Jun. 16, 2012

I have a very minor addition to this. I think when you go back and talk to the ghost in Osohe castle, and he gives you a crappy item, that it would have increased your kindness stat. I like all the ideas and speculation in these comments.

HexploringUser said on Jun. 19, 2012

Some more things to consider:
When gaining multiple levels in one battle (which can be done by setting experience to a high number without also setting the level), stat gains appear to happen all at once rather than one at a time like in Earthbound. The first time I tried this technique, I got what I thought were underwhelming stats, but subsequent experiments show that stats change at the same rates as normal.

02004190: Flint Experience
020041FC: Lucas Experience
02004268: Duster Experience
020042D4: Kumatora Experience
02004340: Boney Experience
020043AC: Salsa Experience
020046A0: Claus Experience
All of these 32-bit values max out at 0x98967F, so put the values 7F 96 98 into these addresses to max out experience, then fight a battle.

Even though I included Claus in the experiment, that still seemed to not increase his Kindness (020046B8) at all.

—-

I also tested the effects of PK Lifeup Omega with two different values of Kindness for Lucas (02004214):

With a Kindness of 3: approximately 255 HP recovered to all allies.

With a Kindness of 255: approximately 900 HP recovered to all allies.

No other stats were changed. Lucas was at Level 58, but his Offense, Defense, IQ, and Speed were all at 255 for both tests, and his equipment was never changed (Master Stick, Heavy Charm, Awesome Crown, Awesome Ring). The enemies were always a Pigmask Colonel and a Return of Octobot.

Therefore, Kindness still has an effect on gameplay in the final version, but there are so few opportunities to gain warm feelings that Kindness never leaves the one-digit range, so its effect is very difficult to detect.

jinxkatty7 said on Jul. 8, 2012

im not an expert on this stuff (and maybe someone already said this) but maybe the “consider” thing could make enemies just befriend you or something. You still get experience but the battle just ends. Its like they run away. The higher the kindess stat is the easier it is to make enemies friendly. Of course there would probably be situations where someone (a boss) couldn’t be friendly or somethin’.

gooieooie said on Feb. 9, 2014

I know this hasn’t been posted on for quite a long time, but I found this post and I think I have a theory.

There’s a game for DS called Professor Layton and the Last Specter. It’s pretty fun, and it’s a puzzle game. It’s also the fourth game in the series. However, they also included a bonus in this one, called Professor Layton’s London Life. It’s a spin-off RPG featuring people from the series. It was developed by… Brownie Brown. And, it seems to have some similarities to MOTHER 3. However my theory for the Kindness stat comes from this: in London Life, there’s a stat called Happiness. When it’s high, you perform better in your actions, get payed more, etc. So, I think in MOTHER 3, being developed by the same people, the Kindness stat was like Happiness. The higher your Kindness stat, the better you perform, more critical hits you land, your offense raises, etc. Just though that, being by the same developers, it was probable.

Find Merchandise!