June 23rd, 2012 | EarthBound, MOTHER 3, Videos

Here are a lot of mini-updates that I’ve been meaning to post lately but that have sort of backed up in the queue. Enjoy!

EarthBound Map Maker

Skye of Saturn Valley Online says:

Hey Mato!

Thanks for posting my mail the other day 🙂 unfortunately it didn’t bring in any new coders but at least we had a traffic boost.

Anyway, I released a Map Editor last night, basically it’s the editor we use to create maps in Saturn Valley Online. It has a huge collection of Earthbound graphics and is fairly easy to use. I was wondering if you could post about it since people can design their own Earthbound maps this way. Granted, they can’t be used in the ROM but they can however be used in any Netgore project (e.g. SVO) and for showoff purposes.

TL;DR; Released an editor so people can easily make Earthbound-like areas/maps.

The download link is http://svo.skyon.be/editor.zip (Run Demogame.Editor.exe) any comments, remarks and suggestions can be posted on our site. This package contains A LOT of Earthbound graphics.

I’ve recorded a video where I explain the basics:

EarthBound in a Fan Game

Chris says:

It’s small, but the New Age Retro Hippie pops up in this game, which is a mix of video game characters & levels.

EarthBound Let’s Play

I actually have more of these to post someday, so don’t fret if I haven’t gotten to yours!

Anyway, Griffinbound says:

Dear Mato,

I’ve recently started an EarthBound Let’s Play, as I said I’ve just started but I would really appreciate if you got the word out for me.
I like many others really like supporting the Mother series, that’s why I chose EarthBound as my first LP.

Here is a link to my channel :

Link

MOTHER 3 and Astro Boy

Clockerstance says:

So, I was watching the first episode of the original Astro Boy and about four minutes in something very similar to the beginning of the battle theme “Audacious March” in Mother 3 played.

Here is a link with a time stamp:

If the time stamp for whatever reason doesn’t work out, then, it begins at 4:06.

It’s played right as they begin Astro Boy’s operation. I wonder what kind of significance the reference might hold? What if the pig masks are chimeras themselves? (They do oink very much like real pigs.. haha)

Then there is Claus who’s situation seems to share some things in common with Astro Boy’s. Hm.

Anyhow, I don’t think this has been mentioned before, but if it has, I apologize.

I know we discovered that part of Audacious March comes from a famous piece of classical music (see here), but the video I used to have for it is down. Does anyone remember the name of it?

An Old Response from Nintendo

Radiostorm sent:

Hi Tomato,

When I was twelve years old, I sent a letter to Nintendo asking them to make a sequel to EarthBound. I had all but forgotten about this letter until the other day, when I found it in an old box of keepsakes in my closet. Having seen your post about responses from Nintendo, I thought you might be interested.

You can find a scanned version of the letter and more details about the circumstances of my writing it on my blog:

Link

Feel free to repost the images and any text from my blog post. Enjoy!

Huffington Post

Johnny Ketchum said:

Hello fellow EarthBound lovers! I’ve come across an interesting article, well more like a list of 10 LGBT video game characters and Tony is in it! He’s number 3 and it just mentions some lines and the letter he leaves Jeff and has confirmation from Shigesato Itoi confirming that Tony is indeed gay. Thought you guys might find this interesting seeing how it’s always fun to see EB somewhere! here’s the link!

Link

Dry Guys Remix

MikAve94 said:

An uploader on YouTube named pl4y4h did a cool remix of MOTHER 3’S Dry Guys.

He has other video game remixes on his digital album called Digital Decibels 2 – like Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and more!

Take a listen and download the album for free: LINK, along with this Dry Guys remix.

EarthBound Fight Club

RandomGuardian sent in:

Basically Kotaku brought my attention to a Super Smash Bros Fight Club parody video. I honestly wasn’t very surprised when some strong EarthBound references got screen time around 1:20 in the video. It’s still cool to bring up though and the video wasn’t bad at all for a spoof.

The End

Whew, lots and lots of videos this time! I still have a huge, huge backlog of mini-updates to post, so I’ll try to do this a little more often. Thanks to everyone who sends stuff in!

9 Comments to Mini-Update Megathon #6

BigDream said on Jun. 23, 2012

First to comment on this! So many vids so little time!

EarthBoundRules said on Jun. 23, 2012

The classical piece the sounds like Audacious March is the in the first movement of Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony.

LTexLT said on Jun. 23, 2012

I wonder if the map created with the map editor could be used in RPG MAKER ???

KingMike said on Jun. 23, 2012

Reading that EB letter from Nintendo, were they really still quoting the StarFox commercial five years after release? 😀

Buster The Fox said on Jun. 24, 2012

Lol, they blew up the Monotoli building.

Clockerstance said on Jun. 24, 2012

Ah! I see! Well then. The Audacious March battle theme can be found in Dmitri Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 5..

..at around 9 minutes and 32 seconds. I suggest anyone looking to hear it, though, listen at least up to that point and not just skip to it.

I wonder if it still could have a connection.. but that just may be hopeful thinking. Oh well, my mistake.

? said on Jun. 25, 2012

The letter to Nintendo, that touched me..

Radiostorm said on Jun. 25, 2012

@KingMike

Lol apparently so. Is it wrong that I thought it was the coolest way to end a letter ever?

Herobrine said on Jul. 27, 2012

You don’t talk about Earthbound fight club.

Find Merchandise!