June 18th, 2012 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 1

Lampi recently showed me this, it’s someone in Japan playing MOTHER music with glasses of water or something:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a full song played like this, it’s really cool. Somehow the sound fits this music well, too.

14 Comments to Glass Harp MOTHER Music

Skye said on Jun. 18, 2012

Amazing! That’s a lot of crystal glass!

tapi said on Jun. 18, 2012

and they remember where all of the notes are. D:

Guy Farting said on Jun. 18, 2012

Unreal.

Craigs0r said on Jun. 18, 2012

The tone of those is perfect for this song. I would really love to see him do the eight melodies from Mother 2

linkdude20002001 said on Jun. 18, 2012
KingOfSwords said on Jun. 18, 2012

Must have taken weeks of practice.

asdf said on Jun. 18, 2012

was really hoping he’d miss a note and then violently sweep all the glasses onto the floor and yell “SHIT!” in japanese

DJMankiewicz said on Jun. 18, 2012

Flip a table! Although, why would someone upload their FAILED attempt instead of their successes? That’s not human nature. You upload someone ELSE’S failures.

Wine glasses actually have a very similar sound to 8 bit tones. It works VERY well, and I imagine it would work quite well for a lot of NES music.

Buster The Fox said on Jun. 19, 2012

I’m proud to say I finally beat Earthbound Zero today. Really cool to see this right after that!

I’ve known about this whole glass thing for a while (not this one particularly, but the fact that you can play music with them). The idea is that you get a different note depending on how much water is in the glass. And, as you’ve seen, if you can get enough of them lined up and get it just right, you can even play music with them! 🙂

Mato, good job on the translation patch! I have to say, compared to the other two, the ending was pretty anti-climatic. I’m surprised at how short the credits were; it was, like, fifteen people. :O Still, compared to other NES RPGs, I have to say, it was MUCH better than the others. I always got lost/killed playing Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy is just too slow for my tastes… Actually, this is probably the only NES game I’ve ever beaten. But, I digress.

September said on Jun. 19, 2012

I saw a guy playing on water-filled glasses in Italy last year, but… it wasn’t nearly as good as this. This gave me chills! Amazing. Now I know what I’m gonna spend the rest of the summer doing… (gets glasses from the bar cabinet)

DJMankiewicz said on Jun. 19, 2012

Buster, this is the sort of thing that, at least in America, is common knowledge to just about every kid thanks to children’s education using it rather often to illustrate harmonics.

Epic64 said on Jun. 21, 2012

This is the most beutiful song Ever I heard in Water
Glass Harps (First Actulay)In My Life 😉

Piksel said on Jun. 21, 2012

This…this..this is amazing…makes me want to cry with joy…

You said on Jun. 10, 2013