June 19th, 2012 | Images, MOTHER 1

biehlza sent this in the other day, it’s apparently taken from the EGM buyer’s guide in 1991, before EarthBound Zero was cancelled.

For some reason I want to say I’ve posted this before, or at least it seems really familiar. In any case, I find their phrasing of “designed for the very young” to be particular interest. It looks like even in the NES days the series couldn’t avoid being seen that way.

15 Comments to EarthBound Zero in Old EGM

Poe said on Jun. 19, 2012

They kind of make it sound like a Rugrats game. I guess setting an RPG in the “real world” was a really new concept back then, so most people might not have understood it.

KingOfSwords said on Jun. 19, 2012

They seriously named Ninten AAAAAAA?

KingMike said on Jun. 19, 2012

Considering “Ninten” itself was just a placeholder name (AFAIK he technically didn’t have a proper name), why not.
It was probably taken at a tradeshow like CES where they just wanted to get to the game.

Leeaux said on Jun. 19, 2012

Throughout their house and surroundings?

Sounds like this guy just got into the yard, took a picture of the game, and stopped playing.

NecrosaroIII said on Jun. 19, 2012

lol Ninten isn’t THAT much younger than the average JRPG hero

Hyperstar96 said on Jun. 19, 2012

Now I hate EGM even more…

Chris said on Jun. 19, 2012

I’m with Leeaux, especially given the way the last two sentences flow… or, rather, don’t flow. Like he played it for the picture, then glanced at it twice and scribbled down some rambling notes.

RandomGuardian said on Jun. 19, 2012

@Chris
Implying that game reviewers did not do that all the time back then. No, change that. Reviewers still do that on occasion.

Buster The Fox said on Jun. 20, 2012

I’d like to see this guy try and play through the Big Duncan’s Factory and still say it was for kids. And if he did, I want to see him go through the cave before fighting Giygas. Just the music there is creepy.

Notice how he spells it “Earthbound” instead of Earth Bound. Although the title on the top spells it correctly, so, considering how out of the loop this guy is about the game, I guess it doesn’t have much merit. 🙂

Piksel said on Jun. 21, 2012

…I really hate how reviewers judged the MOTHER series back then. “OH HER HER I FOUGHT A LAMP NOT A DRAGON THIS GAME IS FER FIVE YEAR OLDS”….Or at least that’s what my bro thought about it…XD And Buster The Fox is right. Let’s see him go through the cave. That freaked me out. XD

David B. said on Jun. 22, 2012

“Designed for the very young”? As if! I doubt any child has the patience to play EB0/M1 from beginning to end without rage-quitting…

BB Gang Zombie said on Jun. 23, 2012

@Mato — I think you may be remembering this from the Lost Levels article, which also featured it. But I don’t think I’ve seen it posted here yet. 😛

Singing Soul said on Jul. 10, 2012

u guys are overthinking everything

the guy probably didn’t even have the game in the first place

Salsa said on Jul. 24, 2012

lol Earthbound Zero was for itoi himself not for kids i mean he said he maded so he could play it but that changed when making mother 2 or 3 plus if it was for kids why was it hard even first? and Earthbound Review Was Worse Than This but still this one sux EGM is IGN Father if u know what i mean

ZeroSquared said on Dec. 25, 2013

A game a designed for the very young, where you play as some toddlers. They haven’t seen the ending of the sequel, or let alone the main storyline of MOTHER 3, haha. XD

Find Merchandise!