June 4th, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking, Videos

I recently updated my EarthBound Reshuffler to do a few new things and fix some issues with earlier versions.

The big changes are that I tried to make the hacks it makes more playable and playable from start to finish. I added in some options to make things wacky (like in the original version of the Reshuffler), so if you’re into that stuff like I am, there you go. I also added in a couple new things, like randomized gift boxes, randomized doors, and some other stuff I think.

Check it out sometime – if you tried it before but found the hacks to be too hard or got stumped by gigantic NPCs blocking your way, this fixes all that!

I don’t intend to do many more updates to this program, but I might revisit it from time to time. I gotta say, I love watching people play these wacky hacks, so if you know of any Let’s Play videos of them, let me know!

Speaking of videos, also check out the videos I recently posted on the EB Central YouTube channel – they feature glitches and stuff I encountered while hacking. Here’s a sample:

Okay, bye!

53 Comments to EarthBound Reshuffler 1.5 Released

Michael (HyperBound) said on Jun. 4, 2012

Looking good! We’ll spread the word about this during the games festival, and hopefully we’ll have a bunch of people showing off randomized games.

blahmoomoo said on Jun. 4, 2012

Apparently the file wasn’t uploaded/linked to properly. 🙁

Mato said on Jun. 4, 2012

Oops, it’s fixed now.

Satsy said on Jun. 4, 2012

Ahahah. I created Beat Soda. I haven’t reached the meteorite yet, I barely have a hang of the doors. I did fight a farsighted puppet though, and won!

Currently I’m stood in Onett Hotel, with a Flying Man at the door, and a dead Ness behind the counter. Not as bad as at home, though, where mom was Ness and King was one of the bouncer dudes. 😉

I’m keeping this version and making another~~♪

KingOfSwords said on Jun. 4, 2012

Noooo, and I just got Poo in my old hack! Nooooooooo! Now Poo will be sad!

So does this mean that no matter what options you pick, you won’t get stuck in NPCs and stuff like that, or is that still a possibility if you use the “wacky sprites” option?

Mato said on Jun. 4, 2012

“Wacky sprites” is basically the same as the old version, so you can still get stuck and all that if you use that option. But it’s also more entertaining 😛

BusterTheFox said on Jun. 4, 2012

Dang, and I still haven’t had time to try Version 1.0! Guess it’s time to delete that file. :p I like how the locations can have ANY music in the game. I guess. Can the hidden EB0 track become location music?

Can it also randomize the in-battle music? I see it for Locations, but I’m not sure if Randomize Enemies counts towards everything you can think of… I already know that the battle BGs can get messed up easily for some reason…

Crav said on Jun. 4, 2012

How does the door randomiser work? I mean, it seems like if it truely randomised where all the doors took you the game would be unplayable.

Pwesty said on Jun. 4, 2012

So wait, which enemy box do you check for a difficulty akin to the one of enemies from 1.0?

Mato said on Jun. 4, 2012

BusterFox: Yes, the unused EB0 track is a random song that you might get sometimes. The program also randomizes in-battle music too, it’s part of the enemy-randomizing.

Crav: Go into one door and you’ll come out of a completely different door elsewhere in the game. It does break the game flow, which is why it’s off by default and why I give a note about it in the FAQ, but it’s there for fun and laughs 😛

Pwesty: check the “make enemies challenging” box for crazy battles. Check the “wacky enemy sprites” too for extra-crazy enemy behavior outside of battle. Checking both will make it exactly like 1.0.

Freezair said on Jun. 4, 2012

I considered just keeping on with my old hack, but since I didn’t get that far in it, I’ll probably just restart with the new program. Especially with the new, properly-working battle BGs!

Hmm… but, if you can go from a hacked ROM to a clean one, you can also probably go from one hack to another in terms of saves, right?

Pwesty said on Jun. 4, 2012

Okay, so first off thank you Mato for the previous comment. I’ll be sure to do that in future runs since some of those battles were pretty cool.
Now secondly, I was just playing on random doors or whatever it’s called and noticed some pretty weird things. First off, sometimes multiple doors lead to the same place, which isn’t a huge problem but brings up the fact that there are probably some rooms you can’t get to. Additionally, no normal enemies were appearing. Only bosses. And these bosses could often be glitchy. I mean, I fought two sanctuary bosses fine, (although one questions the need to fight them in the first place when A: You’ll just end up at Giygas’s eventually either way and B: Even if you do defeat them their door just leads to another random place) but then I got to Capt. Strong’s room. Due to my powerful weapons I beat the police officers well, but since the room was set up as before Strong actually entered the room, when the last guy said “My boss will beat you!” the game just stopped. I mean, the music played, but the game was just waiting for something that was never going to happen.
I don’t know if any of this helps, but hopefully it does at least a little bit.

MrEverdred said on Jun. 4, 2012

This is awesome. Reeaally awesome. Possibly the best thing to happen to EarthBound since EarthBound. Think of all the replay value!

Mato said on Jun. 4, 2012

Freezair: saves will work between most EarthBound hacks/the original ROM. I actually suggest in the FAQ to use saves in that way to get past trouble spots.

Pwesty: What’s happening is that the game is set to have all enemies off at the start of the game (which is why there are no enemies when you first walk outside at night). Enemies turn on after Pokey knocks at the door. So if you want to see enemies with the random doors on, just use a save from after the beginning of the game.

Yes, sometimes doors will randomly lead to the same destination. The door randomizing is mostly just for fun though, hoping to actually get through the game with random doors is sheer craziness.

SU-Team8 said on Jun. 5, 2012

This is cool! Please do one of Mother 3! xD

Schlupi said on Jun. 5, 2012

“The door randomizing is mostly just for fun though, hoping to actually get through the game with random doors is sheer craziness.”

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. If I do a full playthrough, somehow completing the game I expect something awesome. ;O;

KingOfSwords said on Jun. 5, 2012

Haha, what if the door to Ness’s room took you to Giygas’s lair? XD

Satsy said on Jun. 5, 2012

My second creation had the most amazing effect when walking around outside at night. Probably because it was playing the Winters intro theme, it meant all talking and menu browsing had an amazing echo to it!

Not, however, sure what to think of Pokey apparently being the ‘nude nemesis’ in that game o_o I mean sure he was attacking things, but still! Totally gonna enjoy trying out more of this.

Puck Your Mother said on Jun. 5, 2012

I knew I should of waited for a patch 😉

Pokey Means Buisness said on Jun. 6, 2012

If you have random, but not challenging enemies, will they still have those super powerful attacks earlier in the game, like 1.0? Also, are the non-challenging enemies like ones in the original or easier?

Poe said on Jun. 6, 2012

From what I played of the “not challenging” enemies, it means the random enemies you encounter will not have devastating final attacks (like exploding), they won’t diamondize you, they won’t poison you, etc. It’s so much easier than it was in 1.0. After playing both, I personally like the challenging enemies a lot more, even though I complained about them when I kept getting diamondized in Brick Road’s dungeon. XD

Mato said on Jun. 6, 2012

In the non-challenging version, enemies at the start of the game don’t do crazy attacks like they did in 1.0. It makes the game a breeze. Although as you progress further in the game sometimes enemies will get a little tougher with their attacks.

I prefer to use the challenging version, it makes the game a blast and absolutely crazy 🙂

KingOfSwords said on Jun. 6, 2012

In v1.01, the battle with Master Barf didn’t end right. Has that been fixed in this version?

Mato said on Jun. 6, 2012

It should be, I tried to make sure all the event-y battles work right. Poe and I even tested 1.5 all the way to Milky Well, so it should work for you now.

Pokey Means Buisness said on Jun. 6, 2012

Does that mean the easier version is easier than the actual, unreshuffled game?

sci said on Jun. 6, 2012

ok, I was looking at the “Crazy EarthBound Palette Hacking” pt 1 and 3, and tbh…I’d _LOVE_ to play through the game like that.

in fact, if you could couple that with the “EarthBound music gone wrong” glitch, (plus the already-existing random door thing) that’d make a super amazing (er, weird. but fun. by my definition.) experience!

how likely is it that you’d add that? for me?
pretty please? <_<

KingOfSwords said on Jun. 6, 2012

Try to tell me that “Sorrow Castle” is not the best name for a hack ever. I dare you.

Pokey Means Buisness said on Jun. 6, 2012

KingOfSwords: It isn’t. I got Teeth Saturn. 😉

Mato said on Jun. 6, 2012

Pokey Means Buisness: Yes, the non-challenging option tends to make the game easier than the original game, but some enemies in the latter half of the game might still be pretty tough.

sci: sadly, the game would usually crash or freeze after the palette madness, otherwise I might’ve made an option to enable it 😛

Pokey Means Buisness said on Jun. 7, 2012

I guess that means I’ll have to either do the wacky hard version or the super easy mode, but at least it’s still fun. 😀

Krennthief said on Jun. 7, 2012

I tried installing it, but it said I was missing NET Framework Version 4-point-something… I looked it up, and nothing was helpful or safe-looking! I want to play this…

Mato said on Jun. 7, 2012

I’m not 100% sure, but you can probably get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851 or at least somewhere on Microsoft’s site.

Skye said on Jun. 8, 2012

@Krennthief: you sure you have Windows Updates turned on? It should’ve popped up over there a long time ago.

Krennthief said on Jun. 8, 2012

It’s on, but my computer is kind of dumb and fails to properly install most updates automatically… XD

Schlupi said on Jun. 10, 2012

This program is a ton of fun. I’ve played a little through a ton of versions and got tons of laughs. This program… Thanks so much, Mato, it’s absolutely amazing. =D

Krennthief said on Jun. 12, 2012

This is genius, Tomato! I love how I can have Ness, Paula, Jeff, poo, and Bubble Monkey on my team at the same time. XD It’s like roulette. XD

Chris Highwind said on Jun. 14, 2012

Anyone else getting an indefinite black screen a few transitions after dawn breaks in Earthbound?

Chris Highwind said on Jun. 14, 2012

Strangely, I haven’t gotten an indefinite black screen after starting it up again with a save file made after dawn. But I have found that the Spiteful Crow replacement (called the Eccentric Liz in my hack) drops a version of the Snake (called a Searing Rattler) that sells for $110. If the Spiteful Crow replacement in Winters is the same enemy and drops the same item, the challenge to get the T-rex Bat replacement will be way easier.

Simon Roberts said on Jun. 14, 2012

Just thought I’d mention that I’m chronicling my trip through a hack called “Woof Funky” that I made. I used every option except random doors, and I’ve been enjoying myself quite thoroughly. I’ve also run across a few different game-breakers, so I’ve been compiling a bug log that I’ll post when I finish the game. Nice job, Matoman!

Palagoon said on Jul. 10, 2012

I need to chime in here and say that my random EB file is off to a hilarious start. Pokey is a “gentle neighbor” who either “cleans the area” or blows up for 300 damage to the enemy… and King poisons enemies (which kills everything in 1 tick).

EBfan said on Jul. 21, 2012

Mr. Tomato-san
Don’t know if you’ll happen upon this message but I wondered if it would conceivably be possible with your program for players to customize the overworld sprites. Your program does a wonderful job randomizing the sprites but I just wondered if the coding was such that someone could go in and modify some of them after the initial mixing – or would an endeavor like this just make everything barf?

EBfan said on Jul. 21, 2012

Ah. I must clarify my above message. By “customizing” the overworld sprites I meant choosing another sprite from among the ones that are already in the game. For example, say I didn’t want some of the enemies in Onett to be a “Jeff climbing ladder” sprite but wanted a bunch of them to be “gold starmens.”

Mato said on Jul. 21, 2012

I wanted my program to be as simple to use as possible, so I don’t intend to add that sort of thing. But editing things like that IS pretty simple and straightforward if you use something like PK Hack or CoilSnake.

Wayne said on Jul. 29, 2012

Linux Port Please!

Mato said on Jul. 29, 2012

I would think this is such a simple program that it’d run under Wine. Does it not work?

Hexatona said on Sep. 12, 2012

Hey Mato, I noticed in the release notes for 1.5, you mentioned an item being in your starting equipment that explains the hack – I’m not seeing that, however. Did that not end up making it into the version after all, or am I just missing something.

Mato said on Sep. 12, 2012

I had to take it out after I made this update because it was causing trouble for some people.

Hexatona said on Sep. 12, 2012

Good to know! Also, bam, that was like lightning.

Now that you’re here, thanks so much for making this. My first enemy was literally “old nemesis” which was pokey from the end game! And when Pokey came into the house, he was actually a zombie policeman, and so the ultra dramatic sound effect was really hilarious. Really looking forward to the rest of my insane playthrough.

It really does feel like a brand new game again. We’ll see how the surrealism of the new hack will translate into the game’s plot!

Simon Roberts said on Oct. 5, 2012

HELLO AGAIN I FINISHED WOOF FUNKY

Actually, I finished it a while ago, but I didn’t put up the last set of pics until today. WHOOPS.

Also I finished up that bug list if you’d like to have a look at it.

Mato said on Oct. 5, 2012

Yeah, send me a list – I can’t guarantee I’ll fix stuff but it’d be nice to have for reference. I forget if you used 1.0 or 1.5 too.

Matteomax said on Dec. 25, 2012

Hmm, I haven’t found anything where you can post custom sprotes, so, here is a custom enemy I made. Maybe in the next patch you could add this in?

Matteomax said on Dec. 25, 2012
Matteomax said on Dec. 29, 2012

Just downloaded it, I got the “Love Tailor” name (For a good reason; the most used sprite in the game is the “Threed prostitute” Sprite. XD)

In “Onett”, I encountered several odd enemies, which included the “Nervous Swoosh”, the “Blushing Figure”, the “Inconvenient Nemesis” (A Pokey sprite swap), the Unemployed Artichoke, and the 1st Sanctuary boss was a spinning Bikini Woman on the overworld, a Belch spriteswap in the fight.
The items are also odd, the “Rusty Penny” increases your defense a LOT, Ness can now Shoot, and he didn’t even learn Rockin’ yet, he’s at level 10!