MOTHER Remake Hack: Title Screen Music
The other day I posted an old Best Buy ad that showed EarthBound on sale for $29.99. Today, a fellow by the name of Mother_fan sent me this:
I check your website frequently and I’m happy to see people so enthusiastic about one of my favourite game series. I knew I had to dig out this flier when I read yesterday’s post about Earthbound advertised in a Best Buy flier. This is from a 15 page Consumers Distributing flier booklet – it’s titled: “Ultimate 1996 Video Catalogue” but it must have been issued in the summer of 1995 because it lists games “Coming soon! Mid Aug. ’95”. Let me know if you want any more of it scanned. : D
Here, we see that the game is being sold for $89.98 rather than the MSRP of $69.95.
I really don’t know what it was, but for like a 2 or 3 year period in the mid 1990s, SNES games (maybe all games?) were suddenly a lot more expensive than usual. I remember plunking down like $80 or $90 for Mortal Kombat II, Final Fantasy III, and some other SNES games right around this time, so it’s no surprise to me that EarthBound is in that same range. I thought I heard someone say it was due to a temporary spike in manufacturing costs, but I’ve never been able to find out any details. Does anyone know? Did a chip-manufacturing plant blow up or something? Was it something to do with exchange rates? I really want to know, it’s always been a mystery to me.
I tell you, though, had I not had the special EarthBound coupon for $15 off, I probably wouldn’t have been able to get the game when it came out. Plus I don’t think a lot of people would buy a game on a whim (especially a brand new IP) for $90 😯
Anyway, if anyone else has old ads from back in the day that feature EarthBound, let me know!
Other Related Posts:
23 Comments to EarthBound in Another Old Ad
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?