May 9th, 2012 | Merchandise, MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

MOTHER Famicom cartridges are entirely red, but every so often you’ll come across one with a white label.

When I first saw one myself, I was like, “Whoa, awesome, they must’ve released a special version of MOTHER back in the day!” But nope, the white labels are just really faded normal labels – there’s no difference between them and all-red cartridges. Still, they do look kind of cool in a way 😛

10 Comments to White-Labeled MOTHER Cartridge

Radiostorm said on May. 9, 2012

I guess they are about as valuable as a yellow Super Nintendo console >.>

Poe said on May. 9, 2012

Hmm, I personally think the white label looks more attractive because of the contrast to the red cartridge.

NorthofOnett said on May. 9, 2012

I just wanna know what the deal is with this beige Mother 2 cartridge.. It almost looks gold! Is it just bad lighting?

Poe said on May. 9, 2012

Yeah, looks like a combination of poor lighting and possibly a very low-quality camera. I bought 2 Famicom games on eBay recently that looked like they had faded labels the pictures, but when they arrived in the mail, they actually looked quite nice. The labels were vibrant, no fading at all, so it turned out that the seller just took some really terrible photos.

Yeah, I don't know what a username is.... said on May. 9, 2012

I highly think someone who owns this is going to trick the buyer by claiming “It’s a rare, never before seen MOTHER cartridge that were sold in limited amounts!”

Ness said on May. 9, 2012

^That’s what I thought this post was about when I read the headline and the image…

CaliforniaRollz said on May. 9, 2012

whoa, if that label is faded, I wonder how it lost all of its red. It’s like getting red construction paper and making it white

blizzardjesus said on May. 11, 2012

Yup red and yellow inks are susceptible to fading in uv(sunlight) light. It would take a long time to get it that white… maybe a Month or 2 in direct sunlight.

? said on May. 12, 2012

My M2 SFC box is half white/red like that palette. Probably from sitting in a shop window facing the sun, I know my local Gamestops have assy looking DS boxes due to this.

Crysisnova said on May. 18, 2012

Why does the number say “HVC-MX”? That’s the number for super Mario USA…

The model number for mother is “HVC-PN”