May 1st, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

There’s a trick in MOTHER 2 (and probably EarthBound, but I haven’t tested it) that allows Ness to go through most of the game still in his pajamas!

Here’s a Japanese video of it in action:

(click to view video)

Basically, the trick works like this:

• You’ll need to prepare two save files. One at the very start of the game where Ness is still in his pajamas and one at a point in the game where you can do the walk through stairs glitch.
  • Do the walk through stairs glitch in the second save file.
  • If you did the stairs glitch at the bottom of the stairs, don’t walk to coordinates above where you went through the stairs. If you did the glitch at the top of the stairs, don’t walk to coordinates below where you went through the stairs. This is because doing so will send you back to your original coordinates (we actually use this fact a few steps from now, though).
  • Once you’ve walked through the stairs, basically just wait until your HP goes down and you die.
  • When you’re asked to continue in the game over screen, say no.
  • You’ll get taken back to the title screen. Go through it and load up the first save file.
  • The stairs glitch will still be in effect, and you’ll be thrown back to position where you entered the stairs in your second save. Except it’ll just be Ness by himself, in his pajamas!
  • I’m not 100% sure, but I think if you save the game Ness will go back to his regular clothes.

Again, I haven’t tested this with EarthBound, but I’m fairly confident it’ll work. If someone can test it out, that’d be swell. I bet this trick can be used for other neat things too, so be creative!

16 Comments to Stay in Your Pajamas Trick

krawky398 said on May. 1, 2012

Oh wow, this looks like a pretty fun glitch. Although, I’m not sure if being in Threed at level 1 is as much fun…

resetsurvivor said on May. 1, 2012

Do you think this would work with nude Ness as well?

..in Mother 2, that is.

Mato said on May. 1, 2012

Actually, that’s a good question. I think it might, I’m not sure and don’t have any saves around there.

JRokujuushi said on May. 1, 2012

If it only takes you to the position you were in, does that mean it’ll still be nighttime with the roadblocks in place if you try returning to Onett?

Dialga Thunderstar said on May. 1, 2012

Well, I don’t want to try it out right now. I still have to defeat those 5 moles…

RKSS said on May. 1, 2012

I wonder if this works with Mother 1+2 as well.

Furball200x said on May. 1, 2012

Does Ness make the peace sign at the photo man in his pjs, or is there no sprite for it?

Giygas/Ninten999 said on May. 2, 2012

@Furball200x I’ve been pk hacking lately and saw no sprite of PJ peace. Maybe just normal peace. I don’t know because I didn’t do this trick.

BB Gang Zombie said on May. 2, 2012

@RKSS Stair glitch was fixed in M1+2.

SSBMaster11 said on May. 2, 2012

A similar thing happened to me when I was testing out a glitched run (if you saw the speedrun at Awesome Games Done Quick, basically, I was doing that). I went ion on the stairs in Summers, then died, and when I loaded the other file, I was in Summers.

Basically, I’m saying that, this kind of thing happened to me, so, yes, it does work on Earthbound, not just Mother 2.

Interesting, that I found this, completely on accident, completely on my own, and, the next day, I check here, and there’s a post about it…(the glitch, not this particular application of the glitch)

Timothy said on May. 4, 2012

What is the earliest part of the game where you can do the walk through stairs glitch??? :I

Mato said on May. 4, 2012

Not 100% sure, but I think the Twoson dept. store, but you’d have to catch a cold in Peaceful Rest Valley I think.

Anonymous said on May. 4, 2012

Pretty sure the glitch doesn’t work on the escalator.

Anonymous said on Jul. 26, 2013

You can do this as a robot too in Summers.

T said on Jan. 7, 2014

I recently tried out this glitch to play through the game in the pajamas. I was able to get all the way up to the part where you’re required to get the Overcoming Shyness book for the Tendas, which I was unable to get due to Onett’s roadblocks being up, and having no soundstone or town map to abuse the stairs glitch better with. It’s also impossible to call Dad due to the flag not being activated, so it’s very annoying to play like this on an actual console. I don’t think that it’s possible to finish the game like this. Just some words of advice for whoever happens to stumble across this post.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong, though.

Mother1plus2fan said on Feb. 10, 2014