May 4th, 2012 | Hacking, MOTHER 3

A lot of gamers might not realize this, but especially well-designed video games can often be played by sound alone. For example, PoeTrader met a blind kid who was an expert at Pokemon – the sound each Pokemon makes helps a lot in knowing what’s going on in the game. There’s also this famous blind player:

Anyway, a few years ago, a blind MOTHER fan by the name of stirlock posted on the Starmen.Net forums:

I’m a totally blind gamer, and have been a big fan of the mother series since earthbound came out in the US. While obviously I can’t play through earthbound, I still very much apritiate the game and love it. But I have an idea that could possibly make it so I and other blind individules could actually play mother 3. My idea is this. There’s a sound when you run into something while running, which I’m sure everyone has noticed. I’m wondering if it would be possible to do a tiny bit of hackery so that this sound will play whenever you run into something no matter what, even while walking. The sound works this way in the pokemon series, and I’ve been able to play those games very successfully. I’m wondering if this would even be possible. What are your thoughts? Also if you need me to clarify something or if you have questions, feel free to ask in the thread or send me a PM.

In almost no time at all, Jeffman whipped together a quick hack to make the game easier to navigate by sound alone – the game will make sounds whenever you walk against any obstacle or wall.

If you’re interested, the patch is here:

It’s an IPS patch, so use a standard IPS patcher like Lunar IPS to apply it to the ROM.

In the end, I think stirlock managed to get through the prologue and into Chapter 1, but I’m not sure how far. See how far you can get!

17 Comments to Playing MOTHER 3 Blind

Poe said on May. 4, 2012

I wish I was still in touch with that kid, because I think he’d really like MOTHER 3, especially the music battles. For the record: he convinced me to enter into a Pokemon battle with him, and I lost soooo quickly, lol.

2Sang said on May. 4, 2012

freaking amazing, that’s skill right there

Anthony said on May. 4, 2012

“See how far you can get!”

That wasn’t very nice!

Mato said on May. 4, 2012

Haha, good catch.

Giygas/Ninten999 said on May. 4, 2012

This is awesome.
Is they’re deaf gamers?

Ninten=ness said on May. 4, 2012

Wow, so cool! It proves anyone can be good at something, even if they have a small disability.

Clockwork64 said on May. 4, 2012

Thats super cool You can make a BIG change for blind people:)

Alex said on May. 4, 2012

Very good thing to do.

SU-Team8 said on May. 5, 2012

I just tried it myself. (Closed my eyes) and was able to the scene were I have to ram into the drago. Great job! 🙂

Erikku8 said on May. 5, 2012

That’s very impressive!

The Great Morgil said on May. 6, 2012

@ Giygas/Ninten999: I dunno, can you play a game with your tv on mute?

I was impressed at first by that OoT video, until i realized that he was using an emulator and save states. I know he’s handicapped and all, but i still find it cheating whether you can see or not.

Meyers07 said on May. 8, 2012

Gotta make a fully-voiced version, just like that game for blind people “Real Sound: Kaze no Regret” which is voice-driven.

Dialga Thunderstar said on May. 8, 2012

I thought blind people couldn’t play video games without not knowing what is going on.

Ness said on May. 9, 2012

Just shows the dedication of MOTHER fans, huh reggie?

Kyosuke said on May. 14, 2012

I have been really interested in games for the hearing impaired for a while but I haven’t tried to find any to play yet. I know this isn’t about those kinds of games, but it reminded me of them.

Even though I’m not blind, I would love to play adventure games designed with just sound and no graphics. That way, you can use your imagination for the surroundings, and no sub-par computer graphics would be there to remind you that it isn’t actually real. Since sound can be recorded, it’s as real as it gets; so the experience could be really immersive.

Kyosuke said on May. 14, 2012

Oops, I meant “visually impaired”, not “hearing”. Hah.

Meyers07 said on May. 22, 2012

To Kyosuke above: That’s already made (designed with sound). It’s called Real Sound: Kaze no Regret.