Threed Circus Tent Glitch
A lot of gamers might not realize this, but especially well-designed video games can often be played by sound alone. For example, PoeTrader met a blind kid who was an expert at Pokemon – the sound each Pokemon makes helps a lot in knowing what’s going on in the game. There’s also this famous blind player:
Anyway, a few years ago, a blind MOTHER fan by the name of stirlock posted on the Starmen.Net forums:
I’m a totally blind gamer, and have been a big fan of the mother series since earthbound came out in the US. While obviously I can’t play through earthbound, I still very much apritiate the game and love it. But I have an idea that could possibly make it so I and other blind individules could actually play mother 3. My idea is this. There’s a sound when you run into something while running, which I’m sure everyone has noticed. I’m wondering if it would be possible to do a tiny bit of hackery so that this sound will play whenever you run into something no matter what, even while walking. The sound works this way in the pokemon series, and I’ve been able to play those games very successfully. I’m wondering if this would even be possible. What are your thoughts? Also if you need me to clarify something or if you have questions, feel free to ask in the thread or send me a PM.
In almost no time at all, Jeffman whipped together a quick hack to make the game easier to navigate by sound alone – the game will make sounds whenever you walk against any obstacle or wall.
If you’re interested, the patch is here:
It’s an IPS patch, so use a standard IPS patcher like Lunar IPS to apply it to the ROM.
In the end, I think stirlock managed to get through the prologue and into Chapter 1, but I’m not sure how far. See how far you can get!
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to Playing MOTHER 3 Blind
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...