May 17th, 2012 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3, Videos

A few years ago I posted about a school orchestra performing “Oh Buta Mask” from MOTHER 3 (see here). Well, a good while ago xfis sent me an actual video of the performance, which you can see here:

This was like four years ago – I wonder if any other school orchestras have done any EarthBound/MOTHER stuff like this. If you know, let me know!

14 Comments to Oh Buta Mask Orchestrated

CrouchingMouse said on May. 17, 2012

Oooh, that was a little sloppy…>.< They could've used some polish. But it's still really cool to hear this orchestrated. I gotta check out their other stuff.

Hukky said on May. 17, 2012

Coincidentally, Aviarei posted about this on the Starmen.net forums just yesterday.

The orchestra has performed the song again in 2010 and 2011. Unfortunately, even though their skills have improved since 2008, their timing is still somewhat off.

NorthofOnett said on May. 17, 2012

I’ve searched everywhere on the internet for SOMETHING our school band/orchestra could play that’s Mother-related, but I’ve come up empty-handed 🙁 I think it’d be really amazing though if someone did an arrangement based off of the Mother Medley done years ago by the Tokyo Philharmonic.

Ness1985 said on May. 17, 2012

MY EAARS ARE BLEEDING! But yea, least they can play it even if its off tune.

BB Gang Zombie said on May. 17, 2012

Wow! I’ll give them at least one thing… whoever chose the songs for them to play has great taste in gaming! Mother 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger…

As for this particular song, I think their 2010 version is the best one so far. Their 2011 version had a weak start but slowly got better, and it was OK towards the end. But, if this is still ongoing, I hope the orchestra sees our thanks~ some of the stuff on there is extremely impressive!

Also, I do think some of you are being a bit harsh on them; it was a tad bit off, but it’s not “ear-bleeding” worthy, and I’ve certainly heard worse…

Mill said on May. 17, 2012

I knew that looked familiar. THAT’S MY SCHOOL!

DD said on May. 17, 2012

That was fun listening too. I bet they had even more fun playing those songs.

Clockwork64 said on May. 17, 2012

I wonder if they played Bein friends,Eight Meledies ,or Theme of love

Radic said on May. 17, 2012

Ehh, Brass could’ve preformed better. But the French Horn solo was the best! 😀

Tone deaf said on May. 18, 2012

I’m tone deaf so… it’s fine for me 😀 🙂

Earthbounder said on May. 23, 2012

That sounded great! (but I guess they were off sometimes)

PSInesslove93 said on May. 26, 2012

ugh their tuning is so wrong and timing is off…. but oh well, at least they can play it… kinda makes my ears bleed though since i have perfect pitch 🙁

Fredrik1ST said on Jun. 2, 2012

Any performance is a great performance! It’s a shame they aren’t available in higher quality.

My hands-down favourite arrangement is this one:

I’ve been searching for a HQ version for ages, but to no avail. ;_;