Itoi, Iwata, and Old MOTHER 3
May 25th, 2012 | MOTHER 3
Erik Foss recently sent me this e-mail out of the blue:
A while back I wrote a paper on Mother 3 for a class I was taking at DigiPen Institute of Technology. Last October, I was invited to show it at the Game Developers Conference in Austin, Texas as part of their Interactive Narrative Summit. They paid for my pass and everything, which was pretty great. And incidentally, a lot of the developers I spoke with said they really appreciated the fan translation.
Anyway, I had neglected to put the paper up on my Web site until just recently and thought you and the EarthBound Central community might find it worth a look. So, here’s the link: http://www.erikfoss.net/
Check it out, it’s a nice read and not too long 😀
Having this kind of stuff at a developer’s conference is a really cool idea now that I think about it – breaking games apart and looking at what works and doesn’t work when it comes to storytelling will hopefully help developers with their own stories down the line.
Other Related Posts:
13 Comments to MOTHER 3 Analysis at GDC
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...