May 5th, 2012 | MOTHER 1+2, Videos

A nice fan e-mailed me the other day with some typo/error reports for the MOTHER 1+2 fan translation, so in the near future I plan to fix those and release an updated patch. But while I’m at it, I thought I’d make a public call for error/typo reports – so if you’ve found any typos in the latest patch or run into any problems, let me know!

Now for some other questions:

• A few people have talked about a crashing bug when fighting Bonus Swooshes and something else. I’ve tried to recreate those crashes but absolutely can’t get it to happen. Can someone get a video of this happening so I can take a look at it?
  • Are there any simple extras you can think of that can make this patch better? (besides adding extra colors or translating the MOTHER 2 side)

While I’m here, check out this Let’s Play of the patch that Arlin recently posted:

At the very least the updated patch will fix the typos I was alerted to, but I don’t know when the release will be. It’s hard to believe it’s already been a year since I released the first patch 😯

33 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Patch Feedback

Ness said on May. 5, 2012

Hmph, now I have a reason to get an iPod.

Ness said on May. 5, 2012

Nevermind, read it too fast. Thought it said it was a jailbreak hack app for Apple products.

Furball200x said on May. 5, 2012

Im going to finish Earthbound and Mother 3 before I play your translation, but I remember reading that you would give players the option to play with enhanced enemy sprites. Did you put that in?

Chris Highwind said on May. 5, 2012

I’ve got a suggestion, but I don’t know if it’s that doable:

Could you make it so that the Easy Ring works like the items that the swimming cats in Magicant give you? (as in, they permanently change the game without taking up an equip slot) On my first trip to Magicant, I was dismayed when I found out I could either have the Easy Ring equipped or an arm equipment equipped, thus rendering me unable to use the Goddess Bracelet to increase Ninten’s defense. I’m currently flip-flopping between traveling to Easter and going through the Rosemary House (I can’t go very far in sadly since Ana’s not that high a level compared to Ninten and Loid, and I keep forgetting to take the PSI Stone out of storage to give to her to replenish her PP when needed, and the enemies in the desert seem too powerful for me to make it through easily)

DJMankiewicz said on May. 5, 2012

I believe it works just by having it in your inventory, no need to equip.

Poe said on May. 5, 2012

The Easy Ring does need to be equipped.

Foffano said on May. 5, 2012

At the naming screen, Ana, Lloyd and Teddy already have a name, but Ninten don’t. I believe you’ve made that way because you want players to give him a name, but personally I’d prefer he already had one. I even made this possible in my Portuguese translation, but it’s your choice.

Mato said on May. 5, 2012

I’m not 100% sure, but I think it was that way in the Japanese Mother 1+2.

cherryw17 said on May. 5, 2012

It is

RandomGuardian said on May. 5, 2012

Yes! I love to play Mother on my iPod so it’s great to see I’m not the only one! The game fits the screen so perfectly!

DJMankiewicz said on May. 6, 2012

It’s blank in the original as well, and it’s pretty much inconsequential. There’s plenty of games from the NES and SNES/Genesis days that don’t have a name put in at the start. Heck, up until Twilight Princess Zelda games didn’t even put “Link” in as default.

More to the point, I recall a long thread talking about the fact that Ninten isn’t even considered his “official” name. Ninten was apparently a “placeholder” name in manuals in parts that told you how to name your save file, with that appearing as the name in the Japanese manuals for Metroid and Kid Icarus as well (recall that the Japanese versions of those games had save files instead of passwords). As a result, he’s got no official name, just whatever you want to name him.

Pik said on May. 6, 2012

Yet, Nintendo seems to acknowledge the fact “Ninten” caught on by naming his stickers that in SSBB.

Anonymous said on May. 6, 2012

Not really an “error”, but an observation.
The trees in the GBA port are noticeably lighter than they are in the original FC version. Yet in early screenshots of Mother 1+2, the trees appear to be normally colored. Compare:
FC Original: http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9440/mother1.png
GBA Prerelease: http://starmen.net/mother12/screenshots/m1_004.png
GBA Final: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1112/mother12engv10101.png
Would there be any way to hack the color palette to change the trees’ back to the darker shade of green? I know that’s asking alot for ONE COLOR, and I realize that most people don’t even care about this (heck, even I’m not that concerned about whether or not it gets changed back), but I think that doing so could give it a bit more of an… “authentic” feel. Of course, it also depends on how hard it is to actually hack color palettes. I kinda messed around with the palettes on VBA and found that it’s just one shade of green that’s shared between trees, grass, and other things, so changing that one color would hypothetically change everything else, wouldn’t it? But I have no knowledge of GBA ROM hacking, so what do I know.

As for errors that are truly… well, errors, I’m sure you know about the little issue where if you select an item, go to “info” to get the description box to pop up, then after the description is done being printed you press B and select “give” to mess up the menu (and if you press B after selecting “give” it leaves a little indent where the “Who?” box was).

And finally one other tiny nitpick (well, not really, because this doesn’t bother me, but I’m still curious). Can’t the GBA handle 8bit music? So why was the music changed for the GBA port or M1+2? Other FC/NES -> GBA ports emulated their music pretty closely (to the point where I don’t remember hearing any differences), but with the M1 side of M1+2, you can definitely hear a change. Would there be any way to restore the music back? (I’m NOT asking you to do this, I’m just curious, the music in M1GBA actually sounds pretty nice. It ALMOST sounds like they were trying to make it sound like it would have on the Famicom Disk System, since it had more available sound options, similar to how Zelda II’s music got slightly change between the NES and FDS versions).

Er, sorry for the wall of text/rude nitpicky-ish. I really do appreciate your work for both this and the M3 fan translations. Seriously, you probably get this alot, but… Thank you.

James said on May. 6, 2012

In response to the long post about color palettes–this is something that has sort of bothered me too. I know there are hackers who have fixed the GBA palettes for the FF Advance games, BoF2, etc. so I don’t imagine the process is terribly difficult–perhaps someone in the fan community has the knowledge to undertake this task?

Superstarmanriz said on May. 6, 2012

For the most part, there aren’t really any issues I can point out.

However, the comment regarding changing the music to be more like the original NES style would be cool. Again, it may be too tricky to do, so if it is, that’s okay.

tintinophile691 said on May. 7, 2012

Apart from the janitor’s dialogue, there is one other case of the misspelling “curiousity”. It’s in the cave with the lying monkeys.

chaz said on May. 11, 2012

is their a way to hack in stereo sound, or extra famicom sounds (if any)

TheZunar123 said on May. 12, 2012

Hey Mato, regarding the Mother 2 side, I could send you some minor stuff that I’ve changed in my translation that you can add to the Mother 2 side of your patch if you’d like (various inputs such as yes/no, PSI power descriptions, etc., things like that, which would help the translation while not raising too many issues. I could also send you a patch that would change the PSI symbols to what they look like in EB, and other such stuff if you’d like)

tintinophile691 said on May. 19, 2012

Ninten checked Fly B!
> Offense 1
> Defense 40
> Strong against sprays
Bug spray works wonders against it!

“Strong against sprays, bug spray works wonders against it.” WTH?

KA Gamer said on Jul. 1, 2012

Is the Orange Juice dispenser a glitch?

Mato said on Jul. 1, 2012

You mean the sister who gives you orange juice? If so, no, it’s always been like that.

BreakingBenny said on Jul. 18, 2012

There sure is no one wanting to update the MOTHER 1+2 Translation, I doubt any translation for MOTHER 2 would be before 2013

asterisk8 said on Aug. 10, 2012

Hey Mato, found a bug/error. When you try to copy a game save into a slot that already has a game save in it, the pop up has not been translated. I assume it’s asking if you want to overwrite the save file.

I’m loving Mother 1. You want to know how much I’m loving it? I was at Duncan’s Factory, and my save file got erased (my own stupidity) and I had to start the whole game over from the beginning. I’m not the type to play games multiple times, so if the game wasn’t so great I probably would’ve decided it wasn’t worth it and put it aside, but I’ve spent today replaying, and now I’m back where I was before! I couldn’t imagine giving up on such a great game and with a translation that’s such a labor of love.

I should also say what first drew me to the Earthbound series is finding such a diehard, loyal fanbase online. I’ve never seen such dedicated fans before, it made me realize these games are very special and I must play them! So, thanks!

asterisk8 said on Aug. 10, 2012

Sorry, I meant to say the bug/error is in Mother 1, if it wasn’t obvious.

Mato said on Aug. 11, 2012

Great, thanks! I’ve fixed it, although now I just realized there’s a bug where an arrow cursor will stay to the side of the box you chose and won’t go away, doh.

I don’t know when I’ll have a new patch out but it’ll have this fix in it when it does, thanks 😀

PsiWolf674 said on Aug. 20, 2012

Hey, I’m the guy who made that huge comment about the tree graphics/sounds. (Guess I forgot to login. Whoops.)
Anyways, it’s a bit late, but I made a couple of mock-ups of how the trees would look had they been normal colored:
1: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5606/mockup1.png
2: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3829/mockup2s.png

To me it looks nicer and gives it a more “MOTHER” feel. Of course, I’m assuming hacking a palette (especially one that’s shared between grass, “SMAAAASH!!” graphics and other things) is much easier said than done. Even if someone else commented about how other GBA games had their palettes fixed, you never know what could go wrong here. But I would like to at least say that I’m sure that this would be a welcomed change to see in the new patch!
And even if they aren’t/can’t be fixed, it’s no big deal since I’ve seen lots of GBA ports that for some reason have either over-saturated or different colors alltogether.

I’m also curious… what do you think you’re gonna do about the music? (if anything?) The reason I’m asking is because I recall a while back seeing a discussion between you and some other SM.nettes about how it was a wave change and that you MIGHT be able to switch it back. I don’t wanna get people’s hopes up (and I certainly hope I haven’t), but I was just wondering if there was any news on it. I was talking to a friend the other day about GBA music (specifically the M1+2 port) and he mentioned it might not be easy, which I wouldn’t doubt.

To be honest, I myself think the GBA M1’s music isn’t that bad. It’s different, yeah, but it still sounds pretty good (there were maybe, like, one or two tracks that were a little “muddy”, but nothing nearly as bad as some of the M2 side). I’ve seen other people with similar opinions as well.

I can also understand if you’re just too busy to mess with this stuff, since I imagine you have your hands full with Legends of Localization, your own site, life, ect.

M1Fan said on Sep. 21, 2012

Wish I could do that with my ipod

BreakingBenny said on Oct. 26, 2012

You guys know, I think this MOTHER 1+2 translation project may have been dropped. It’s been at least 1 year since the patch last came out, where’s v1.2? (if there ever WILL be one)

Mato said on Oct. 27, 2012

I can’t re-create the Bonus Swoosh bug but I’d like to have that problem fixed for the next version.

BreakingBenny said on Oct. 29, 2012

If I remember correctly, I cancelled Attacking a bonus swoosh with the B button. It crashed there.

Hey Mato, how about you save-stating as you play through MOTHER1+2 to check for any bugs?

Also, when I look at the GBA Music Rip thingy. It’s a shame nobody’s really bothered to look into it, I’d love to hear some GBA tunes without GBA fuzziness, although when it’s ripped from GBA games it feels like Super Nintendo (I’m OK with that! Metroid Fusion would be nice with a SNES feel)

BreakingBenny said on Oct. 29, 2012

Hold on, when cancelling the Attack on Bonus Swooshes it doesn’t happen. Maybe it’s because I’m doing it in Magicant and not in the underground of it…

TheZunar123 said on Nov. 10, 2012

Hey Mato, in case you wanted to know, I did a Let’s Play of your translation. I actually did two Let’s Plays of the game, but the first was of the RPGOne translation, and it was just a copy-over.