Random Post:

Naked EarthBound

May 20th, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking, Videos

Recently I decided to start learning the C# programming language since I’m way behind the times and only program in C anymore. So to kick off my foray into the language, I started by doing some EarthBound hacking with it!

What I’ve done is “reshuffle” lots of stuff in the game and introduced a lot of random changes too, with stats, actions, and more. A few days ago I showed it to Poe and she loved it enough to make a video out of a random play:

It’s surprisingly cool – the level of uncertainty about everything and the new challenge it brings makes it feel like you’re playing EarthBound again for the first time!

Anyway, the full program isn’t ready yet – when it is I’ll release it and then anybody can create zillions of crazy versions of EarthBound. But for now here’s a sample of the kind of stuff it’ll do:

(Note that the contents of the patch are different from what you see in the video)

I think it’d be fun to do a community playthrough of a new patch like this every couple months – what do you think?

Also, if you try the patch out and have any suggestions for any other stuff I can mess with, let me know!

13 Comments to EarthBound Reshuffle Demo Hack

Clockwork64 said on May. 20, 2012

Earthbound was crazy enough but tomato made it Insane.

good job 8)

Michael (AKA HyperBound) said on May. 20, 2012

Great work Tomato!

I don’t know what has been going on lately, but we’re experiencing a sort of “hacking renaissance” in PK Hackland. I haven’t seen the community this active in years!

Halloween said on May. 20, 2012

I think Franky transforming into a dragon and Ness getting a poisonous snake thrown at him were highlights for me, but I loved all the names too.

Clockwork64 said on May. 20, 2012

When a Complacent noose Pray and Have a Heart
😀

Earthbounder said on May. 20, 2012

Wooooooow yeah this seems cool like a ice box, I wanna play this and great work

Earthbounder said on May. 20, 2012

Also great idea on using the guy at the bus company

TheMrSaturnGuy said on May. 20, 2012

Wow. This program looks amazing. Judging by the looks of it, anyone can create crazy Earthbound hacks. Even though I am not a great hacker AT ALL, I feel as though this has potential.

Mato said on May. 21, 2012

I just realized I had a bug that makes most enemies only have 29 exp or less, oops. In future patches and when I release the program, that’ll be fixed 🙂

PKbleblah said on May. 21, 2012

Ness keeps collapsing 😛 still pretty cool! 🙂

KingMike said on May. 22, 2012

When it’s done, is there going to be some balancing so this is actually beatable? (it’s not going to send you to Gyigas in the first fight?) 😛

Pinwheel said on May. 22, 2012

I would play this! I really hope Mato will get done with the final patch soon!

Matteomax said on Dec. 25, 2012

The tough part of the hack is:

The chance of getting an enemy that has a lot of health is high. What is the health limit, Mato?

The chance that an enemy may use an attack that is used by higher leveled enemies, or by the party, is high.

Matteomax said on Dec. 25, 2012

Also: 3:27,

DISMANTLED BLOPPY: BEST. RESHUFFLE. EVER.