May 25th, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking

(Originally I was going to post this in the comments of this post but realized it might be better as a post of its own)

For fun, here’s a random EarthBound patch you can check out if you’re bored: EarthBound: Drunk Butt IPS patch

Yes, that’s the actual name the random name generator gave this patch 😛

I haven’t played it myself, every patch that my random patch-maker makes is a new thing all its own. Still, try it out and see what you think – my personal experience is that there’s usually a new, difficult challenge at every step but there’s usually a way around it if you’re creative.

If you have any suggestions on other stuff to randomize or anything, let me know!

23 Comments to EarthBound: Drunk Butt

Eb_Rules said on May. 25, 2012

When I try to play, after the opening cutscene it shows the Hint guy’s house, and then I can’t move. Have I just errored in patching?

Eb_Rules said on May. 25, 2012

Well looks like it was an error in my patching because it’s fine now. Having fun so far!

Leeaux said on May. 25, 2012

I’m being swarmed by drunk butts!

Username? What's that? said on May. 25, 2012

It’s a Spam! Don’t Download it!!!

Just kidding 😀 I wish I could at least see what It does before downloading it…

Pinwheel said on May. 25, 2012

So wait? Is this the patch that Poe made a video about and that dungeon man runs into the men’s bathroom at the libray?

Mato said on May. 25, 2012

No, this is another random patch. It’ll be weird and wacky, but won’t be *exactly* the same as what showed up in those other videos.

Miles of SmashWiki said on May. 25, 2012

It works pretty well for the most part, but there are some problematic results of the enemies’ random abilities. Getting “the kiss of death” from the Starman Junior-replacing enemy left Ness incurably poisoned very early and I had to take the Game Over to get rid of it.

The Yes Man Junior-replacement being capable of using an item with the effect of a bag of Dragonite just made things more annoying. I only got as far as Giant Step, but there were some real problems with this.

So yes, playable, but balance issues are very frustrating, at least in this randomly-generated incarnation.

Mato said on May. 25, 2012

Then it sounds about on par with other builds I’ve tried. I guess I should give the warning that you WILL die with regularity in these hacks, but (for me at least) the fun is in trying to solve the problem spots with creativity and luck. In a way, it’s like playing the game for the first time again – you have to learn new enemies and form new strategies.

RandomGuardian said on May. 25, 2012

Pshhhh if anyone played roguelikes then this would just be another exercise in abusing the system just to win. Seriously though, I still had fun.

Cactusfriend said on May. 25, 2012

I’m having the issue with the Hint Guy’s house as the above commenter mentioned. I’m using Snes9x’s ‘on the fly’ patching with a normal earthbound US rom. Does it need to be expanded? It seems like later versions of pkhack/jhack don’t seem to let me expand on mac. Or maybe I’ve just been out of the scene for too long.

Miles of SmashWiki said on May. 25, 2012

Not to say it wasn’t fun. A department store run by a robot and an Ego Orb sounds like a perfect setup. It’s just a question of patience, I suppose, with the new enemies.

I did like that King could use electric shock attacks though.

Mato said on May. 25, 2012

Cactusfriend: It’s possible your ROM doesn’t have a header when it should – as far as I know most EB ROMs out there have headers. That’s the only thing I can think it is. This header thing has always been the bane of SNES hackers and ROM translators since the dawn of time 🙁

Eb_Rules said on May. 25, 2012

Twoson’s music is amazing, not gonna lie.

Crav said on May. 25, 2012

Mato, before I attempt to beat this, I’m curious how special battles like Belch will be handled. will the Fly honey still work on him properly? Will he be defeatable without it?

Douglas said on May. 26, 2012

can someone post a video of it?

Crav said on May. 26, 2012

Also, woah, the teddybear actually tries to help fight!
Usually it just defends, (appropriate) but it also scratches it’s head, tries to cast psi shield (and fails) and becomes friendly and affectionate (which actually succeeds in solidifying the enemy.)

Potential problem:
Several of the enemies have dropped some of jeff’s items that can’t be thrown away. This could end up clogging up the inventory if it keeps happening the whole game. For now, Tracy has something to hold on to.

Crav said on May. 26, 2012

So… the Bubble Monkey just did something that not only ended the battle, but teleported me to Threed. =/

Crav said on May. 26, 2012

Sorry for the triple post. Final thoughts.

As the game goes on, it gets much easier. Once you have a party member or two you’re much less likely to get taken out by freak attacks and even if you do get hit, the rolling HP meter can save you. I never got a gameover when I had more than one party member. Many of the enemies don’t even attack, wasting their turns on moves that either don’t work right or do nothing.
Status ailments are a bigger threat since you can get hit with stuff you have no way of curing. Got dimondized a few times out of nowhere.

Twice, I got stuck inside an NPC sprite and had to reset.

The game came to a premature end in Fourside where some larger than normal sprites replaced the NPCs and blocked my way forward because of their larger hitboxes at the Jackie’s cafe event.

Overall, a fun, but buggy experience.
Maybe I’ll go back later and see if I can get through using the walk-through-walls code. Thanks for the cool project, Mato.

H.S said on May. 26, 2012

That’s interesting, the Bubble Monkey can use the Teleport Box. I guess you should probably take that battle action off the list.

Pimpshi said on May. 26, 2012

Mato, have you considered randomizing the PSI that’s learned by the chosen four? There’s a hefty list of moves that could potentially be used as “PSI” moves, and PK Hack has already shown us that PSI moves are just battle actions with PP costs tacked on. In fact, those PP costs could even be randomly altered, couldn’t they? That could add just one more element of “new”-ness to a game that we all know like the back of our hands. Obviously some things like PSI Teleport and battle actions like Spy and Pray would need to be left alone, but would this be worth looking into as a toggle-able option for your program?

Cactusfriend said on May. 27, 2012

Thanks, Mr. Tomato! I downloaded NSRT and added a blank header which took care of the problem.

Now to type a phrase I never thought I would: ‘Now I can enjoy drunk butt!’

Pimpshi said on May. 27, 2012

I feel like it’s worth mentioning that both the Starman Jr. and the Spiteful Crow enemies drop “Salted Caramels”. These are Rock Candies.

I can’t wait for this tool to be finished and released. 😀

StarmanFan said on Jun. 3, 2012