Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

May 27th, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

I’ve posted a lot about EarthBound’s anti-piracy measures in the past, but I still often get the question of, “There are lots of enemies in my copy of EarthBound! Do I have a pirated copy?!”

So here’s a video courtesy of Poe that explains an easy way to tell if you got the anti-piracy stuff on for sure!

Basically, check outside the arcade after you’ve defeated Frank. If the anti-piracy stuff is active, then you’ll get lots of glitchy crows – something that would never happen in a legitimate version.

Again, this is like the third layer of protection or something like that – you’ll probably never even be able to start the game if you have a bad copy. For more details, see my old post here!

8 Comments to Checking for EarthBound’s Anti-Piracy Measures

Bucky said on May. 27, 2012

I imagine, after so many years, that people can find a functioning “pirated” copy.

BigDream said on May. 27, 2012

Someone REALLY hates Earthbound and plans on making it less functional.

CrouchingMouse said on May. 27, 2012

I remember asking that same question the first time I played EB on a ROM, heh…I think it’s just hard to tell for newbies because there are some areas that sometimes legitimately have a lot of enemies swarming around.

BusterTheFox said on May. 27, 2012

It’s always interesting to see the stuff that happens when the AP is activated. Sometime, I hope someone can put together a list of all the stuff it can do, like this Crow thing all the way to Giygas deleting your saves. It would be an interesting read for me. 😀

SSBMaster11 said on May. 28, 2012

I kinda want to do a playthrough on a copy like this, just to see what it’s like.

ZoomKaboomDoom said on May. 28, 2012

I could listen to Poe’s voice all day c:

Also, it would be pretty fun to play pirated EarthBound. After playing it normally countless times, I’d like a new challenge. Sucks that you can’t actually beat a pirated cart…

Anonymous said on May. 28, 2012

I think you can beat a pirate cart. You just have to trigger the anti piracy measures that DONT crash the game or lock it up at the start. Gameshark could do that for shure but you would have to activate the cheats every time you start the game, I think.

P.S. I wish I could replace video commentators with Poes voice :3

Dialga Thunderstar said on May. 31, 2012

This makes me remember those times in Peaceful Rest Valley wen I was avoiding trees and got very hysterical, and when I was fighting Sharks and was trying to get one to appear on screen by the arcade when I instead got four. I suspected the game to be pirated(It wasn’t)and called those Sharks a not nice name that begins with b and ends with d.

Find Merchandise!