Random Post:

Show Time Pollyanna

April 11th, 2012 | Images, Uncommon Knowledge

About three years ago a mystery screenshot appeared in a Japanese magazine that looked like it was possibly from a new MOTHER game. It turned out it was a screenshot for an unrelated Ni no Kuni game for a Japanese platform called ROID.

After recently remembering about it, I decided to see how this game turned out. Here are the screenshots I dug up – as you can see, it definitely has a strong MOTHER 2/EarthBound influence still!

What’s a neat coincidence is that the snakes are called Coil Snakes in this game too! It’s a pretty generic name though, so I don’t think it was done on purpose. I wish I knew how to get this ROID stuff working, I’d love to hear the music and read the text to see if it goes beyond just the graphical similarities.

Anyway, many other MOTHER series-lookalikes have come and gone too, so check them out here!

29 Comments to Screenshots of Ni no Kuni on ROID

cry said on Apr. 11, 2012

If you want to try it, Ni no Kuni is also on the DS and the PS3.

Mato said on Apr. 11, 2012

From what I hear, those are different games, though.

earthboundzerofanboy678 said on Apr. 11, 2012

yes, I played them both and they are different.

Lillie Joe said on Apr. 11, 2012

I really want to play that game

SushiGummy said on Apr. 11, 2012

Well, Level-5 also does the Professor Layton series, and Specter’s Flute was bundled with a Mother-styled game made by Brownie Brown.
So it’s probably no coincidence that some of their games might look similar. Note that Fantasy Life is also developed by both Brownie Brown and Level-5.

By the way, Level-5 makes some pretty fantastic games. I definitely recommend trying some of them out.

Christian said on Apr. 11, 2012

At least the game is coming to the states on the PS3. How are they different?

SU-Team8 said on Apr. 11, 2012

The top middle screenshot. I swear to god thats The mother 3 running sprite.! :0

Nessu said on Apr. 11, 2012

Any game that look’s like earthbound has got to be good! 😛

BB Gang Zombie said on Apr. 11, 2012

Wait… the top left screenshot. I can only assume from “My Room” and “Closet” that it’s a customizable room~ And that screenshot SCREAMS Mother 3.

So, it’s like Mother meets the Sims meets generic RPG, from what I can gather…? Though, that… actually sounds kinda fun, I think.

Character-wise, it looks pretty similar, though. They seem to like using English names, which is a good sign. That Mark kid’s portrait is kinda funky looking, I think, though. 😛

Stealthborn said on Apr. 11, 2012

Never noticed the similarities before until now. I should also mention that this is the first game that Studio Ghibli is involved in.

2Sang said on Apr. 11, 2012

Yes, we think the mother series is dead, but it clearly is just in a coma. Little things like this game show there is a pulse. I don’t think itoi will ever make Mother 4, but he did say there is a possibility of the game being made by someone else. Maybe Retro studios or Sakurai will make an Earthbound game. Imagine a Sakurai made Earthbound. That’d be soooooo sweet.

WolfWoods said on Apr. 11, 2012

Indeed,I don’t know if Retro would make a good job,but Sakurai did a fine job bringing Kid Icarus back.I really wished a good developer from Nintendo would step up and try to continue the Mother series.

Erikku8 said on Apr. 11, 2012

The DS version of Ni no Kuni is pretty cool. I’d be up for playing the ROID one too.

2Sang said on Apr. 11, 2012

I guess the best thing we can do is support any game that uses eb graphics/references like kappas trail and if there’s any way we can buy this roid game at any point, buy it/download it

Timothy said on Apr. 11, 2012

What is this ROID platform???

Satsy said on Apr. 12, 2012

Heh, the chair in that first screenshot looks like it was ripped right from EarthBound. 😉

I’d love to play this… Or any game like this, too. I think Europe just has something against games like this (not only did we not get EB, but we also missed out on A Kappa’s Tale, and London Life!), I have to wonder what.

Bucky said on Apr. 12, 2012

To me, this Ni No Kuni series is the closest thing we’ll get to a new Mother game in a while. I’m excited about the PS3 version.

Chris said on Apr. 12, 2012

I too am confused what “ROID” is. Is that mobile — like, the Android phone? So that means this is a separate game from the DS and PS3 ones (which means there are THREE different games which all look like a Mother game)?

I’m salivating either way, but if anyone could shed light on this, that’d be appreciated.

nessforsale said on Apr. 12, 2012

That second pic looks like Lucas and Boney runing in tazmily.

Satsy said on Apr. 12, 2012

Timothy and Chris:

The ROID has come up on the site here before now, quite some time ago. Here are some of the links I could find, typing ROID into the search bar:

I do believe a few of these links also touch on this Ni No Kuni (or ‘Another World’) game.

nesstron said on Apr. 13, 2012

@Sasty
maybe ROID and londen life will get released on dsiware in europe but i dout it will.

nesstron said on Apr. 13, 2012

@SushiGummy
don’t forget dragon quest 8 and 9

Hawk EB said on Apr. 18, 2012

This is super good!!! If Nintendo sees this game it mabe it will bring mother back to live!!! Mother 4 or Earthbound on the vc!!! Please be for the Wii

EarthyBoundy said on Apr. 24, 2012

Guys, this game IS going to be released. According to my research, Wikipedia sayss…
Release date(s) Nintendo DS

JP December 9, 2010
PlayStation 3

JP November 17, 2011[3]
NA Q1 2013[4]
EU Q1 2013[5]

So, start undusting that PS3 …next year.

GiegueFanboy said on Apr. 24, 2012

SEEMS LEGIT

Furball200x said on Apr. 24, 2012

Gameinformer says the Ps3/360 version about a boy living in a parody of an American town, while grieving over the loss of his mother. Hmmm…..

Clockwork64 said on May. 3, 2012

If you can see verrrrrrry closely theres a red smudge on his fase in the top middle pic

Alst i think roid did stole some of the sprites and diolauge of The EB Series mabye this is mother 4
(for me very unlikely) and its in discize mabye
ummm

ghanmi said on Jul. 6, 2012

Is there any mean to emulate the ROID / cell-phone japan only games? They release neat stuff, like an exclusive Layton game, Inazuma eleven game, Tales games, and now this.

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

I find it funny how Roid is how a Japanese person would pronounce Lloyd from Mother 1’s name.