April 20th, 2012 | Events, Videos

I forgot about this until recently – the guys at Fangamer/Starmen.Net had a panel at PAX a few years ago, and they talk about a lot of the stuff the EarthBound fan community’s done/gone through over the years. I haven’t seen the entire thing myself, but you can check out the panel here:

I’m not sure if they really meant “stigmata” or if they meant “stigma”, but I guess the former is much scarier/freakier/blasphemous-er 😛

10 Comments to PAX ’09: Fanboy Stigmata

Leeaux said on Apr. 20, 2012

Yeah lol, really hope they meant stigma.

Bucky said on Apr. 20, 2012

It’s interesting that they’re trying to reverse a stereotype, and yet the Starmen forum is one of the most hostile fan environments. The site itself is great, though.

SuperAnon said on Apr. 20, 2012

@Bucky: “and yet the Starmen forum is one of the most hostile fan environments”

Clearly, you have never met or found yourself dealing with a brony before. You want to talk ludicrously hostile fans? There’s your example to end all examples.

blan said on Apr. 20, 2012

^ yo if you ever went on the forums you’d know there’s actually an alarmingly sizeable overlap of the two fandoms

you want hostile, go read the last mlp thread, you know, the one that had to be locked because everybody was at each others’ throat over a childrens’ show (if you use the forum search, the thread title is “My Little Pony”)

thank you sm.net

TMMDI said on Apr. 20, 2012

I don’t hang around on starmen.net but seriously you can’t expect any place on the internet that gathers people together to not be somewhat hostile. How can a place that gathers a bunch of people who like the exact same thing get hostile? Now you guys have me curious…

Stevesesy said on Apr. 21, 2012

@bucky, hey! I’m nice 🙁

Bucky said on Apr. 21, 2012

I have Administrated my own board before, and I know from experience that you can discuss common interests without hostility. You can do it face to face, can’t you?

…but the rules of the Starmen forums don’t help either, and I’ve never cared for the favoritism or moderators, which is pretty much the same system for any message board. It’s a shame, because it would be nice to regularly discuss my favorite game without stepping on eggshells, while others stomp them to bits.

Radic said on Apr. 22, 2012

@Bucky, Starmen.Net isn’t a bad place. I was once like you with the opinion on the site. Until Falcon24 (Yes the person who everyone think is a jerk when he isn’t) reasoned with me. Plus most of the moderators are re evaluating their moding. I think it’ll be a better place. Starmen.Net is a great place, you must have done something that deserves being banned to have gotten banned.

Bucky said on Apr. 22, 2012

@Radic

What? I never said I was banned.

I also didn’t say the site itself was bad. Starmen.net is a goldmine of info and cool stuff about Earthbound.

TragicManner said on Apr. 23, 2012

Thanks for posting this! I was actually at this panel that year, and have enjoyed visiting with the fangamer guys every year at PAX since 09. This video brought back a lot of great memories from that year at PAX.