April 24th, 2012 | Auctions, Merchandise

There’s some interesting EarthBound/MOTHER stuff this week, here’s a quick look!

Prototype EarthBound Cartridge

Now this is a rare sight! One of the EarthBound prototype cartridges has hit eBay. As far as I know, it’s identical to the release version, but I’ve never been able to confirm it. There’s a little bit more info about it here. If anyone gets it, let us know more info 😀

Rare MOTHER3+ Advertisement

This was apparently used to promote the MOTHER3+ soundtrack CD way back when. It features a disguised Mr. Saturn in the bottom corner, and the back side has stuff all about the album.

MOTHER 1, MOTHER 2, MOTHER 3, and Extra Goodies!

If EarthBound is the only game you have in your collection but you’ve been wanting to pick up the Japanese games too, here’s your chance to get all three games from the MOTHER series! It comes with some extras too, like a MOTHER 3 Handbook and a Fangamer yo-yo!

Complete EarthBound Set

Although there’s nothing really out of the ordinary about this, I’m plugging this for a fellow fan 😛 As of right now, it looks like it’ll be a much better deal than the buy-it-nows for complete sets, so give it a gander if you’re interested!

That’s all for now! If you come across anything cool, let me know!

18 Comments to Merch Watch for Apr. 24, 2012

16bitKaiju said on Apr. 24, 2012

Looks like somebody bought the proto cart.

Hawk EB said on Apr. 24, 2012

It sold this fast wow wow…………… wow in one night wow

Poe said on Apr. 24, 2012

was it rooooo? 😉

Anonymous said on Apr. 24, 2012

Wouldn’t surprise me if someone just took out the chip in the official game and put it into a fake cartridge. I’m going to start making prototypes!

Unknown soldier said on Apr. 24, 2012

Yeah it does have the same label as others but labels are easy to make. Just look at how many English mother 0 are on eBay,with better looking labels in fact. So wouldnt base its legitness from just a label. If you ever been to Europe, the bootleg market is huge there. I got star wars episode 3 a month before release in theater. Every special effect was purple,r2d2 was purple and so was the lava planet lol. I even got unleashed before it was renamed,it original name was danny the dog apparently. With that said, it wouldn’t be hard to fake a label that basic. Hopefully it’s real though since someone bought it, don’t want anyone paying that much for a fake if they are a fan. If they aren’t then let it be fake! Lol jk

While bringing up that topic of english mother 0, why do they go for like 60-90? They are just saved and hacked/translated roms copied,probably made in a bulk of like a hundred then reposted when one sells. It’s scary what fans are willing to pay for something bootlegged. I’m actually surprised some people get into bidding wars over them when it’s obvious that more are just made after others are sold.I say no one go over 20 and help reduce prices on copied roms. Fight the power! Lol

Furball200x said on Apr. 24, 2012

I am a 13 year old with very few funds. Where can I get cheap Mother stuff without bidding?

Sept said on Apr. 24, 2012

@Furball200x

I have been in your same position… I started liking EarthBound and MOTHER 13 yrs after its release… I suggest getting MOTHER 1+2…

Furball200x said on Apr. 24, 2012

Thanks.us If all else fails Ill keep making obese little Mr. Saturn clay figures!

NorthofOnett said on Apr. 24, 2012

Holy cow that Franklin Badge is huuuuge!! Where’d it come from??

Anonymous said on Apr. 25, 2012

I was wondering what the “MB” in the serial number stands for…does anybody know? The seller said it says, “SNS-MB” instead of “SNS-MB-USA”…is there a chance it could be a different version of Earthbound than the retail version?

Mato said on Apr. 25, 2012

I actually don’t understand why he says that – if you look at my EarthBound cart it says SNS-MB-0 just like his does: http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/04/inside-an-earthbound-cartridge/

Anonymous said on Apr. 25, 2012

I’m not sure…I think because “SNS-MB-USA” was the official full registered sku of the retail version? Although the other prototypes also have “SNS-MB” on the label…

Hawk EB said on Apr. 25, 2012

A wood love to have that franklin badge

neonix said on May. 3, 2012

O_O So no one has any clue what’s up with that giant Franklin Badge?

Anyone know who won the auction? I messaged the seller, hoping he responds to tell me where that thing came from, but otherwise, if the seller is a regular here, maybe they can give us some more info and pictures of that thing.

neonix said on May. 3, 2012

I mean, it could just be a very large custom-made pin. That’s what I assume. But in that case, someone had to have had a very good quality image for it. Or it actually looks choppy in person and you can’t tell in this small picture… lol

Cube the Starman said on May. 3, 2012

Let’s hope the guy who bought it can dump the rom AND the game music because the unused music in the mother 2 preview needs to be heard

neonix said on May. 4, 2012

For reference, the seller of that auction replied to me and told me it was one of the pins from Zazzle. As I thought, he said the quality is not the best because of how large the image has to be blown up to that size.

Well, that mystery is solved :p