March 3rd, 2012 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Apparently sometime last year some enterprising Japanese MOTHER fans discovered a way to check out various scenes in MOTHER 3 with a cheat code. Using this code, it’s possible to see scenes that were unfinished or never used!

I recorded video of a couple different ones, you can see it here:

You can see this for yourself! Load up the ROM in VirtualBoyAdvance and use this cheat code:

0200B578

For the value, choose one of these:

E5 – Interpreter flying
F5 – Twins playing and swimming (flashback)
F6 – Twins get into a fight (flashback)
F7 – Twins with mom (flashback)

Then, when you’re in the game, move to a new screen (go through a door or something) and you’ll see the scene in question pop up! The flashbacks were originally meant to be shown during the final battle, so you’ll get taken to the final battle after each one.

There are probably even more scenes to find! If you know hexadecimal numbers, try anything from 00 to FF and see what you get! You might even be able to go above FF, I’m not sure. If you find anything, let us all know 😀

Credit for this discovery goes to Japanese hacker RGBA_CRT (at least I assume that’s the first person to find out), and thanks to Yoshistories for pointing out the discovery!

79 Comments to Unused MOTHER 3 Cut Scenes

Alxprit said on Mar. 3, 2012

That code is a warp code. Entering other values lands you in a variety of different maps. I’ve been fooling around with it ever since I saw the original video, and there are values higher than FF that work, at least. I’d document everything, but… ah, who am I kidding, I’m really interesting in seeing if I find anything else!

Satsy said on Mar. 3, 2012

Ahh yes, someone brought that up on the SM forums recently. It’s an interesting find! I know there are unused sprites of people fishing (can’t remember who offhand) so it wouldn’t surprise me if there were more. I’d love to see others~~

Mato said on Mar. 3, 2012

My instincts say it’s less of a warp code and more of a “scene/location setup routine jump code”, although it works out to about the same thing 😛

Basically, moving to a new screen loads a new setup script (whose number gets hacked by using the code).

TheMrSaturnGuy said on Mar. 3, 2012

These unused cutscenes look like they were being played on a TV, not a flashback. Sometimes I look at many unused things thinking “Oh, that could’ve been used during this”, but these… They have no explanation exept what the unused sprites were for.

Mato said on Mar. 3, 2012

Well, like I said, after each of the flashbacks it takes you to the final battle and the text talks about how so and so remembers such and such.

Leeaux said on Mar. 3, 2012

Really wish these would have made it into the final game. These seem fairly finished and really expand on Lucas and Claus’ childhood.

resetsurvivor said on Mar. 3, 2012

SPOILER ALERT ( …just in case)

I’m thinking those “flashbacks” of Lucas and Claus are more Claus turning back into a human or at least fighting to become human. That’s why it transistions between fuzzy terminator like playback to a more natural playback of the cut scene.

Mill said on Mar. 3, 2012

So that’s what the swimming sprites were used for.

I’m guessing the last one played right before Claus died.

Jason said on Mar. 3, 2012

The final battle tragic-o-meter just went up a few notches…

If I could change one thing about Mother 3, I would have had a part of the game where the twins were a party. Claus would be the party leader and Lucas wouldn’t be very helpful in battle, lol, and maybe they would get into some light trouble while exploring a cave or something. Anyway the point is I would have liked to see the twins interact more. 🙂

Alex said on Mar. 3, 2012

I have a feeling that just like Earthbound Mother 3 will have more major discoveries over the years.

Mato said on Mar. 3, 2012

The Mother 3 ROM is like eight times bigger than EarthBound and filled with more leftover material, so I’m sure we’ll be finding stuff well into the next decades :O

alpha said on Mar. 3, 2012

so when i use these codes they warp me to entirely different areas. F5, for example takes me to the pork bean underground, and the second character says fassad’s lines to the first character as if he were salsa

Missingno. said on Mar. 3, 2012

I guess these are unused because it would be too sad.

Cube the Starman said on Mar. 3, 2012

I wonder where the flying interpreter cutscene was used for

Sillik said on Mar. 3, 2012

Maybe it’s the wrong sprite and it was supposed to be the Sky Runner

Anonymous said on Mar. 3, 2012

This is neat. Mother games always seem to have something hidden.

Christian said on Mar. 3, 2012

I wonder if fans could make a patch so these scenes are in the game with the scenes they would be in.

Secretinfo said on Mar. 3, 2012

Correction: VisualBoyAdvance, not VirtualBoyAdvance

BB Gang Zombie said on Mar. 3, 2012

Setting the mode to 16-bit allows you to select a bank of sorts. (XXYY, XX=bank, YY=scene) 00 is the one containing those scenes in the video. 01 seems pretty uneventful as far as I can tell, but maybe some psycho will go through all the values and find something iunno.

Anything higher than bank 01 seems to crash the game as far as I can tell, sadly… but there MAY be something there, and it’s just hiding. Have fun experimenting~

NESluver said on Mar. 3, 2012

Well, I’ve actually found two more unused cutscenes! Both of them appear to be part of the ending, but they don’t appear at all as far as I know. I’m making a video featuring all the unused scenes I’ve found and I will be posting it up on Youtube once I think I have found them all. 😛

Alxprit said on Mar. 3, 2012

What “value” in VBA gives you those scenes, NESluver?

NESluver said on Mar. 3, 2012

Value E7 gives you the first unused scene. At the end of the scene, the ending will continue as normal (except without music).

Value 196 gives you the second one. You need to check “16-bit” as the size of the value in this case. When this scene ends you’ll be taken to an out-of-bounds area in the final dungeon where you cannot move.

Anyway, I have the video done so I should have the scenes up tonight. There doesn’t seem to be any unused scenes outside of these five sadly. But this is still an excellent find!

gBev said on Mar. 3, 2012

I’m not sure why those scenes would have been removed, they seemed to add a bit more to Claus and Lucas’ relationship, since we saw very little of it in the prolugue. Maybe they felt the ending battle was too drawn out with those scenes added?

Also tested NESluver’s out. For those who didn’t see, each seems to just be a part of the ending that shows a character (Alec and Salsa) escaping.

Maybe they removed them to avoid confusion about those characters being killed? The ‘End..?’ scene would have cleared that up anyway, though. Another explanation could be the same as above, that the ending just seemed too drawn out with those scenes added.

NESluver said on Mar. 3, 2012

Alright, here’s a video that contains the two new unused scenes + the three flashback scenes:

I forgot to add the Interpreter flying scene, though I think that may have just been the Interpreter replacing the bird cage due to a glitch. 😛

Alex said on Mar. 3, 2012

Since Mother 3 ROM is like eight times bigger than EarthBound,their could be a game within a game of unused stuff to be discovered lol.

gBev said on Mar. 3, 2012

NESluver: Based on the music that played, I would guess that the ‘unused map’ you included at the end was the one used in the cutscene that plays when older Lucas looks at Hinawa’s gravestone.

NESluver said on Mar. 3, 2012

gBev: Actually, if you look at the house, you can see that the graphics are glitched up. The house simply doesn’t look like that in the final cutscene. As far as I know, the map used in that cutscene and the map I explored in the video are two different maps. 😛

Rhyselinn said on Mar. 4, 2012

These cutscenes are really cool! I wish I knew how to find them myself… Also, on the subject of the unused map, I noticed the house is glitching in the same spot as the rock-paper-scissors flashback. Those ledges don’t look right, and they’re off in both tthe scene and the map.

V-King said on Mar. 4, 2012

NESluver, the unused map you showed in your video looks exactly like the map used in the uused scene of Claus pushin Lucas.
There arethe same graphical glitches there 😉

lostaname said on Mar. 4, 2012

I’m wondering: With all the unused data that is bound to be uncovered by Mato and other major fans…..wouldn’t it be possible to do some sort of overhaul of the game by adding in a part of the unused material back in to the game?

FlintsDoorknob said on Mar. 4, 2012

I consider stuff like this to be “DVD extras”, so I don’t see the point in adding them in the game. It might affect the story too much or just be difficultand almost pointless.

They are realllly interesting though I can’t believe people are still uncovering hidden stuff from this game.

Speculation is easy to make, and I wish it wasleft in the game but uncovering it years later is still great.

TGIF said on Mar. 4, 2012

Are the distortions/static in the Twins flashback scenes a result of their unfinished nature? Like a result of the scenes not being properly implemented into the game’s code?

I don’t really know what I’m talking about, but I figure that someone who spent years meddling with the game’s code might be able to shed some light on that.

It does seem like the kind of effect they’d use for a flashback, after all, the Giygas battle in Earthbound had quite a bit of that going on as he was breaking down.

It just seems a bit more glitchy than I’d expect in a fully polished cutscene ready to be played in the game, but the context of being played in the heat of the final battle does leave all sorts of possibilities.

lostaname said on Mar. 4, 2012

@Flintsdoorknow: I know, but maybe adding a Theatre Mode or an extra unlockable ending. Mind you, there is also a lot of unused enemy data that might be ad-able as well.

Mato said on Mar. 4, 2012

If Jeff or I could learn a little more about how the event/scripting system works, it seems very possible to reinsert those flashback scenes. Personally, I think a lot of this stuff was probably taken out because Itoi felt like it was too “heavy” and/or unnecessary after playtesting it.

The distortion stuff is definitely not an accident or anything like that – it takes a lot of work to get something like that to happen.

Anyway, the glitchy map is actually that way in the ROM, you can see it here: http://earthboundcentral.com/m3script/maps/894.png

Miles of SmashWiki said on Mar. 4, 2012

In a few minutes I managed to find that C9 gives an unused shot of the path from the Cross Road towards the Sunshine Forest, while CB gives Hinawa’s letter to Flint on a blue background (can’t remember off the top of my head if that’s the shower scene’s background from Chapter 5 or not).

DS Piron said on Mar. 4, 2012

Did anybody who looked at the first unused cutscene (The one with the twins swimming) stick around when it dropped you into the final battle?
It’ll start the next cutscene, before you even get a chance to do anything…

Unfortunately, I was playing as Flint, so I was grossly under-leveled to last longer.

Kuranes said on Mar. 4, 2012

I’m just ready to find out more about the kindness stat

Anonymous said on Mar. 4, 2012

Pretty interesting…

FuzzyPicklez said on Mar. 4, 2012

Yeah, I remember how Itoi said that he made some changes to the ending between EarthBound 64 and MOTHER 3 GBA. This probably was some of the things that he meant by that.

FuzzyPicklez said on Mar. 4, 2012

But, I think that these flashbacks might have been scrapped before they put the finishing touches on the other flashbacks. They used a different visual effect on the other flashbacks, that aren’t so annoying and grainy.

And yeah, I remember that unused song too. Now I know what it was used for. In the other flashbacks they used “A Letter From You, My Sweet”.

GhostSonic said on Mar. 4, 2012

@DS Piron For me, the final battle went on like normal, save for the fact that the rest of my party was present. Then it went to the Twin’s fighting custscene. Then it warped to a musicless, impossible to do version of the first section of the Final Boss, as none of the scenes with Hinawa will play here.

GhostSonic said on Mar. 4, 2012

I noticed using “FFFF” in 16-bit will play a transition to next to Lucas’ house, accompanied by some unused music.

Crav said on Mar. 4, 2012

My memory could be making stuff up, but I swear I remember reading about how there was going to be a scene in the intro of the 64 version of the twins playing in the river at the begining of the game.
The swimming scene could be a reference to that, since the intro was considerably shortened in the GBA game.

GhostSonic said on Mar. 4, 2012

@BB Gang Zombie FF is well over bank 00, but FFFF is the only one I’ve tried so far that actually got me anything.

GhostSonic said on Mar. 4, 2012

I just realized how using the memory viewer in VBA can help find codes to warp to parts of the game. For example, 0321 warps you to the save room with the pencil statue (though you’re stuck in a wall).

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 4, 2012

Once all of the unused content has been collected and we know for sure there’s nothing left, somebody should make an entire list of all of it and post it on the Internet. It probably won’t happen though. But it would be cool to have.

Yoshistories said on Mar. 4, 2012

Yoshistories here. I was a little surprised that you guys hadn’t heard about this yet, since that video had been on YouTube since last October, but anyways…

It’s amazing how new things are being found after all of these years. I wish that Itoi would have kept those scenes in the final product, as it would have provided us with more information on Lucas and Claus’ relationship before the events of the game, and it would have made the emotional impact of the final battle much greater.

DD said on Mar. 4, 2012

@Yoshistories: You must have been thrilled when you first found those scenes. I know I would feel like some kind of archaeologist who discovered a lost tomb. :p

I think it would have been cool if those scenes were part of the beginning of the game. It probably would have been right before the first chapter when Hinawa and the twins went to Alec’s house.

NeonSquid said on Mar. 5, 2012

I’m kinda glad they didn’t use them in the final battle. I feel like they would have broken the flow.

They’re very cool though.

Cre'lus said on Mar. 5, 2012

So THAT’s where all those unused swimming sprites came from!

LucasPSI said on Mar. 5, 2012

Haha. I was just messing around with ssome codes and if you just put in 82, you go into A mirror. I guess you become the characters reflection or something…

Rhyselinn said on Mar. 6, 2012

One of the guys on Starmen.net said that the way the coding works, there are over 65,000 values- some are cutscenes, some dump you in walls in random places, and some give you black screens. Either way, we’ll be searching for a long time if we want to find everything.

gmwamser said on Mar. 6, 2012

I just started a new game to test these values, and I found a couple interesting stuff:

– On 8A, there’s a Mr. Saturn House. A strange glitch happens, and it’s possible to see an unused Mr. Staturn Pork Bean.

– 101 takes you to New Pork City. While messing with the walk-through-walls code, I found a misplaced NPC on the top left corner.

I’ll continue to test the other values. Maybe I’ll post this thing somewhere or e-mail it to you, Mato!

See ya!

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 6, 2012

@gmwamser There’s a Mr. Saturn Pork Bean that’s used in the game. You can use it after completing Saturn Valley.

Lollita said on Mar. 6, 2012

really emotional scenes… Watching they have a happy family make the story of this game really tragic

gmwamser said on Mar. 6, 2012

@Earth Saturn: My memory is in a worse state than I thought! Thanks for the correction!

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 6, 2012

@gmwamser You’re welcome.

GhostSonic said on Mar. 6, 2012

I’m curious as to why this took so long to find. We’ve had a warp code for the longest time now, since before the fan translation; Part of the code of for the debug room is the same exact code. But it’s just now that we’re actually playing with it.

KingOfSwords said on Mar. 10, 2012

“If Jeff or I could learn a little more about how the event/scripting system works, it seems very possible to reinsert those flashback scenes.”

That…would be WONDERFUL.

TheMrSaturnGuy said on Mar. 10, 2012

I agree with KingOfSwords. Having these extra cutscenes along with any other unused contenet patched into the game would be awesome.

dwiese1998 said on Mar. 12, 2012

The interpreter flying scene…
I’m guessing lucas and co were flying after her with the bird cage…

Orange said on Mar. 12, 2012

Wow, it’s pretty cool to find out after all this time what the swimming sprites were used for.
Also, can anyone tell me what the music during those flashback scenes is? It’s been driving me nuts.

Mato said on Mar. 12, 2012

The music wasn’t used in the final game, but you can hear it (and more) here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2008/02/unused-missing-mother-3-music/

emobook101 said on Mar. 12, 2012

Man, putting in random values is pretty fun, ya never know what crazy things’ll happen. 😀
I think I found something though. Use the value CP. Not an unused cutscene but im pretty sure i haven’t ever heard the song being played before.

emobook101 said on Mar. 12, 2012

Ok now i’m positive the next value has a song that is unused and it could even be an unfinished cutscene, ffff

Ninten said on Mar. 12, 2012

the only thing i can say is: this would add alot on emotion, perhaps lucas would remember all the fun stuff he and claus did, but remembered that claus might not have treated him right sometimes, and have doubt he’d want claus back. either way, these secenes would have made that ending even more tear jerking. then again, do we need to short circuit our computer. it might be worth it.

Poster said on Mar. 13, 2012

i like the swimming scene

Lucas said on Mar. 13, 2012

I feel like if these scenes were out back in the game it would make it feel more complete and a bit more emotional invested on the characters.

Orange said on Mar. 13, 2012

Thanks!

landyn said on Mar. 13, 2012

Im back…… finally so what I think is this is what Lucas would think everytime he sees the masked man.

Anonymous said on Mar. 14, 2012

I wonder if you would include the unused sprite as well.

Antuan Robinson said on Mar. 22, 2012

@LucasPSI:

Yeah, actually that’s the thing about reflections in video games… I’m only 14 and i’m not a programmer… But in video games, making a real reflection is technically impossible (or atleast expensive)

There is an actor behind the mirror programmed to mimic the parent/player’s movements to make it look like it was a real reflection…

I actually suspected this early when playing the game, but seeing this fills me with glee to know that my theory was correct *_*

StarmanFan said on Mar. 24, 2012

Very strange

Ness1985 said on Jun. 9, 2012

Can someone help with this? I put in the code and when I go to the next screen, the game freezes and I hear running.

Ness1985 said on Jun. 9, 2012

nvm I got it to work. 16-bit instead of 8-bit D:

Ninten said on Jul. 12, 2012

Is anybody going to hack these cutscenes back into the game?

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

Anyone else think the song in the cutscenes with the twins sounds a bit like “Volcano! Inferno!”?

SuperSkarmory2 said on Feb. 4, 2013

Someone needs to make a restoration of the beta stuff.

Mairujyat said on Sep. 18, 2013

I feel like the final battle would feel much more significant if the unused cutscenes were re-implemented, possibly with a change of music to the ‘Theme of Love’ bit, or Hinawa’s theme, to make it fit a lot closer to the battle itself…