March 30th, 2012 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

A good while ago, BB Gang Zombie informed me that there are two entries in EarthBound Zero’s enemy data that are unused – one for what we now know is Pippi (thanks to the recent, official figures) and one that is a pillow or something.

Due to how EarthBound Zero’s enemy data and enemy group data works, some stuff will remain a mystery, like what these enemies’ names were, what palette they used, etc. But you can see them in action for yourself:

To see them, put 29 (Pippi) or 41 (Pillow) into slot 0x02CFB2 in EarthBound Zero’s ROM map, and then run around in circles in Ninten’s basement until the enemy group, which normally contains a single rat, spawns. The Pippi enemy is named “Gang Zombie,” and the pillow is called “Doll,” because they share name pointers with them due to appearing right above them in the ROM’s enemy listing.

If you’re not technically inclined, here they are:

I bet it’d be possible to hack these back into my MOTHER 1+2 patch, but then again I wouldn’t know where to put them, what colors they should have, what names they should go by, or anything else. So maybe it’s not worth it.

My personal guess is that you were originally going to fight Pippi when you save her from the coffin in the cemetery (since all the other coffins have zombies), I don’t know if she’d be evil or what, though. Maybe it was supposed to be one of those battles where you have to run away or not fight? As for the pillow, it seems like something that might’ve been an enemy in Ninten’s house at the start.

Those are just my random thoughts though – what do you think? Would these have fit in a better part of the game?

12 Comments to Unused Enemies in EarthBound Zero

asdf said on Mar. 30, 2012

Pippi would make a neat bonus boss if she weren’t so weak. I think it was meant as a joke – fighting her implies that Ninten was so use to fighting Gang Zombies, his reaction is to attack. Pippi’s so on-edge about them that she also attacks. Dialog after would probably reflect that.

The pillow was probably going to be in Ninten’s room. Maybe in place of the doll there?

Mill said on Mar. 30, 2012

Maybe she was going to be possessed or something, and you had to knock her out of it.

BB Gang Zombie said on Mar. 30, 2012

@asdf
I doubt the Pillow was a replacement for the Doll. Its stats are all identical to the Lamp, except its HP is two points lower, so maybe it was meant to have occupied Ninten’s other sister’s room instead of the lamp in the final game.

As for Pippi, I think her stats aren’t finalized, because she has a ton of PP but no abilities that use it. It might just be a placeholder, but I’m not sure. For all we know, Pippi’s stats could just be garbage data being read as Pippi due to veeery specific graphic settings. The pillow, however, looks pretty much 100% complete and usable, just nameless.

BB Gang Zombie said on Mar. 30, 2012

Oh, my theory towards Pippi… If the enemy data is correct, she “Regains all senses,” so I think she was possessed and attacked you.

Additionally, her fitting in with the zombie coffins makes sense; she was stored directly next to a zombie-like enemy in the code, so that’s likely where it would have been used. But, with the haphazard way the enemies are stored, I honestly have no clue. One thing does strengthen this theory, though: the Lamp, Doll, and Pillow are all right next to each-other in the code, so they were all added at the same time. Who’s to say Pippi wasn’t the same way?

Gooptek said on Mar. 30, 2012

I think that Pippi was just scared and misunderstood Ninten as a Zombie. Maybe.

Now for the pillow, it may have appeared during the poltergeist. But who knows, maybe you where meant to fight it at the Halloween Hotel instead of a Starman.

BB Gang Zombie said on Mar. 30, 2012

@Tomato… I tried to see if they could be restored to M1+2, with some excellent results! Using your tools, I replaced the Lamp in Ninten’s sister’s room into a Pillow. I hope I didn’t break anything, though, because the encounter data is right next to some code, but it’s mostly FF, so I think it’s just blank data. Anyway, even if I broke something with this, have fun with it!

Add these to M2_misc_text:
F663CE [41 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 01 38]
//This changes the encounter data, hopefully not breaking anything
F17817 [88 81]
//This changes the Lamp in sister’s room to a gift box
F17830 [00]
//This changes the game to use the new encounter data

Add these to M1_main_text:

555:
555-E:It hovers in the air!
//Lamp description from EB0, modified to fit the pillow. It has to be described _SOMEHOW_.
61D:
61D-E: Pillow

Dialga Thunderstar said on Mar. 30, 2012

Hmmm…
Ninten: Uh, Pippi? Why do you have that weird smile? Pippi? Pippi? What the- SERIOUSLY?!?! I went into this graveyard to rescue you, and you have to become a ZOMBIE?

Youkai said on Apr. 2, 2012

Pillow?! WE’RE DOOMED!

Ninten=ness said on Apr. 16, 2012

Well maybe she’s possessed by a ghost, or somethin akan to that. And the pillow, well fighting a tv would be weird, and painful…… Again my small mind is amazed at the complexity of mother games data. Cool discovery B.B!

Clockwork64 said on May. 3, 2012

Pippi looks a little creepy in her red dress and eyes
also how can a bb zombie be a form of pippi i wounder

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

Crazy theroy time:
Pippi is actually a zombie, and is the dead daughter of a gang boss,who participated in gang fights even at her young age and was killed in one. Also, there’s a doll inside that pillow.

Teh Mysterious Guy... said on Mar. 21, 2013

Well, Pippi’s enemy data says she “Regained all senses”, so I think she became a zombie but somehow returned to normal after Ninten defeated her. WHY WUZ THIS CUT!?!?!?!?!?!?