Pollyanna Played by Floppy Drives
A good while ago, BB Gang Zombie informed me that there are two entries in EarthBound Zero’s enemy data that are unused – one for what we now know is Pippi (thanks to the recent, official figures) and one that is a pillow or something.
Due to how EarthBound Zero’s enemy data and enemy group data works, some stuff will remain a mystery, like what these enemies’ names were, what palette they used, etc. But you can see them in action for yourself:
To see them, put 29 (Pippi) or 41 (Pillow) into slot 0x02CFB2 in EarthBound Zero’s ROM map, and then run around in circles in Ninten’s basement until the enemy group, which normally contains a single rat, spawns. The Pippi enemy is named “Gang Zombie,” and the pillow is called “Doll,” because they share name pointers with them due to appearing right above them in the ROM’s enemy listing.
If you’re not technically inclined, here they are:
I bet it’d be possible to hack these back into my MOTHER 1+2 patch, but then again I wouldn’t know where to put them, what colors they should have, what names they should go by, or anything else. So maybe it’s not worth it.
My personal guess is that you were originally going to fight Pippi when you save her from the coffin in the cemetery (since all the other coffins have zombies), I don’t know if she’d be evil or what, though. Maybe it was supposed to be one of those battles where you have to run away or not fight? As for the pillow, it seems like something that might’ve been an enemy in Ninten’s house at the start.
Those are just my random thoughts though – what do you think? Would these have fit in a better part of the game?
Other Related Posts:
12 Comments to Unused Enemies in EarthBound Zero
Featured Item on eBay:
***EARTHBOUND SNES SUPER NINTENDO GAME COSMETIC WEAR~~~
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.