MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound: Ending
A good while ago, BB Gang Zombie informed me that there are two entries in EarthBound Zero’s enemy data that are unused – one for what we now know is Pippi (thanks to the recent, official figures) and one that is a pillow or something.
Due to how EarthBound Zero’s enemy data and enemy group data works, some stuff will remain a mystery, like what these enemies’ names were, what palette they used, etc. But you can see them in action for yourself:
To see them, put 29 (Pippi) or 41 (Pillow) into slot 0x02CFB2 in EarthBound Zero’s ROM map, and then run around in circles in Ninten’s basement until the enemy group, which normally contains a single rat, spawns. The Pippi enemy is named “Gang Zombie,” and the pillow is called “Doll,” because they share name pointers with them due to appearing right above them in the ROM’s enemy listing.
If you’re not technically inclined, here they are:
I bet it’d be possible to hack these back into my MOTHER 1+2 patch, but then again I wouldn’t know where to put them, what colors they should have, what names they should go by, or anything else. So maybe it’s not worth it.
My personal guess is that you were originally going to fight Pippi when you save her from the coffin in the cemetery (since all the other coffins have zombies), I don’t know if she’d be evil or what, though. Maybe it was supposed to be one of those battles where you have to run away or not fight? As for the pillow, it seems like something that might’ve been an enemy in Ninten’s house at the start.
Those are just my random thoughts though – what do you think? Would these have fit in a better part of the game?
Other Related Posts:
12 Comments to Unused Enemies in EarthBound Zero
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...