March 13th, 2012 | EarthBound 64, Images, Uncommon Knowledge

The other day good ol’ pk_stan scanned in some old Famitsu magazines with interviews about EarthBound 64 in it – interviews that we’ve never actually *seen* before. I’ll post them one of these days, for now I wanted to highlight some stuff about enemies in the game.

If you followed EarthBound 64’s rise and fall back in the day, then you’ve probably seen the following enemies before. You can see them in old, old pics here, even:

(click for full size)

But completely new to me were these three enemies:

(click for full size)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them before (well, the crab one does appear here) so this is a nice treat – even after like 15+ years we’re still finding new images and info about the game!

The enemy names are weird and mostly untranslatable without completely making up new names. I’m not even 100% sure what the thing on the left is! Anyway, if you could localize the game, what would you call these enemies?

32 Comments to Some New EarthBound 64 Enemies

Brady said on Mar. 13, 2012

… Earthbound 64 would have been a very strange game.

Poe said on Mar. 13, 2012

So cool! Thanks for scanning these, pk_stan 😀

Erikku8 said on Mar. 13, 2012

I’m no Ted Woolsey, but…

Bihiito = Floppy-eared Babboon

Yadogarin = Angry Hermit Crab

Kyamo no Fashi = Platyfuss

ozwalled said on Mar. 13, 2012

Wonderful find! :O Pretty hilarious too, that one of the enemies more or less seems to be a platypus, given the wealth of chimeras and all. I’m sure it’s a gag that many fans of Mother 3 half-thought of at some point, and to know that it was nearly included in the game is pretty funny to me. 🙂

Alan said on Mar. 13, 2012

Thing on the left would probably be call Ogreyatang.
Thing in the middle would probably be a Crabby Hermit.
Thing on the right would be a Platybill.

Either way, it’s a neat find.

bahooney said on Mar. 13, 2012

This keeps the hope inside of me alive that one day, somehow, we will get our hands on a semi-playable build of EB64. Just think of all the prototypes of unreleased games that we never thought would reach our grimy hands, and have. A great example is the Zelda beta for Famicom Disk System… that beta is like, 25 years old and we didn’t get it until last year. It’ll happen, people… these things have a way of slipping out. Eventually.

Darien said on Mar. 13, 2012

I would call them Eletang, Herman Crab, and Platypooch.

KingDarian said on Mar. 13, 2012

The thing on the left looks like a cross between a baboon and a mountain goat

man said on Mar. 13, 2012

Hmm, people talk about how much more soul that the 2D sprites have compared to the original 3D models, but despite their blockiness, I kinda like the style of these enemies. If only this had been released on the GameCube or something, then the low poly count wouldn’t bring them down so much.

Nightram said on Mar. 13, 2012

Left: looks like a Pelican/Elephant to me. Peliphant?
Right: Platiwi
Middle: Crabby Hermit

B-rad said on Mar. 13, 2012

The new ones from left to right,
Ol’ Stan
Giant Enemy Crab
Perry

Anonymous said on Mar. 13, 2012

Sigh…if only it had been released

Neko Knight said on Mar. 13, 2012

Ah yes, this game should have been released.

And I kinda agree with Nightram about that one on the left, but I still think it looks more like a seagull – Macaque hybrid to me.

And I would name the fish dragon “Puckersaur.”

Robert said on Mar. 13, 2012

its pretty cool that we can see the soul of the M3 sprites inside of these.
I really wish we had a copy of EB64 though, think how much stuff we could pull from it.
If anyone still has a copy of the game at its latest point I would place my bets on Shigesato Itoi or maybe even Satoru Iwata.

Cube the Starman said on Mar. 13, 2012

@Erikku8 from a actual Japanese I must say your translation is spot-on. And I’m surprised that no one noticed that:/

DD said on Mar. 13, 2012

How interesting. Mother games always have the goofiest and sometimes creepiest of monsters.

gwalms said on Mar. 13, 2012

I completely agree, man!

Ninten said on Mar. 13, 2012

Am i the only one who sees the monkalrus?

Erikku8 said on Mar. 14, 2012

I’m liking the enemy names you guys are coming up with.

Phi said on Mar. 14, 2012

I would call the first one “Albino Goatrilla,” the middle one “Crabby Crab,” and the one to the left the “Billed Beaver.” It does look a little like a beaver.

MugenKeiji said on Mar. 14, 2012

Billyboon
Crabby Hermit
Duck-Footed Pusyplat

MugenKeiji said on Mar. 14, 2012

Old enemy names (left to right, top to bottom)

Chimpllambzee (not sure what animals really, so all of my guesses here)
Winged Gill-A-Monster
Playful Poochigator
Rolly Polly Man

Don’t think people are strangers to the Monkalrus and the Pig Mask Soldier — supposedly hanging itself. Gracious.

Neko Knight said on Mar. 14, 2012

Forgive me for going slightly off subject, but I agree with bahooney that we need the MOTHER 3 64 version beta. Now this would be very, VERY bold, but what if we all got together and asked Itoi-san if he (or whoever has the beta) would release it to the public. Then maybe a group of talented individuals could fix all the bugs and maybe even complete the game! That would be a dream come true!

Alex said on Mar. 14, 2012

The enemy on the left looks like a mix of a pig head with dog body,the enemy in the middle is a snail/crab,and the enemy on the right looks like a bird/duck.

Dr.Steve said on Mar. 15, 2012

I think the one on the left is a mix between a Dolphin, Elephant, and a Monkey.

The one in the middle looks like, well… a Hermit Crab.

And the final one, on the right, looks to be another mix. This time the one of a lion and a platapus. (Sorry if spelled incorrect) And maybe and duck also, because platapuses only have 2 webed feet, not 4.

Dr.Steve said on Mar. 15, 2012

I like to think that they are enemies that would come in to play around the ocean part in chapter 7, and the Dolphin/Monkey/Elephant would come in at the island. The others could have come into play on land but maybe, maybe not.

Dr.Steve said on Mar. 15, 2012

Sorry just one last thing. The names from left to right:

Sea Monkey

Shelly Crabster

and for the lion/platapus i have no ideas at the moment.

Mr. Nick said on Mar. 15, 2012

@B-rad. I got your jest. Yes, Perry for the platypus.

FlintsDoorknob said on Mar. 20, 2012

I’d definitively call the Platypus cat thing, a platypussy. It would have been funny if platypusses were already in the game as a chimera, with no changes to its appearance.

nessforsale said on Mar. 24, 2012

Umm… this is so cool that you found this. But I don’t think any of the enemys listed here made it in the mother 3 GBA.

Mel said on Jan. 21, 2013

The Ultimate Chimera (Or I guess just Chimera) looks more like a fish.

Hannah said on Jun. 8, 2013