Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
March 7th, 2012 | Auctions
Yesterday I posted a couple rare pieces of EarthBound merchandise that hit eBay while I wasn’t looking – it turns out a bunch more stuff also sold without anyone realizing it!
- Rare EarthBound Photographic Slide – sold for $700
- EarthBound Pog Set – sold for $399
- EarthBound In-Store Promo Display – sold for $375, never seen this before
Man, these items are a treasure trove 😯
Speaking of the in-store display stuff, there’s one for sale still:
It seems this is how the seller came across all these rare promo items:
Most of these items came directly from the company which designed Nintendo’s displays and boxes from the pre-NES days through the Gamecube days, when Nintendo decided to start designing items in-house. In 2009, I stumbled across the owner of the company in Seattle, Washington. His company was planning on moving locations, and he was cleaning out the company’s storage locker, full of displays and samples that he had saved through the years. Unfortunately, most of the items designed by the company were thrown in the trash as the company only had a limited storage area to keep items. Contained in the locker were one of a kind items, employee merchandise, and rare store displays. I offered to purchase the locker from him, and he agreed.
Talk about a collector’s dream!
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Some More Rare Items
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?