March 27th, 2012 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

I thought I had posted about this before, but I guess not! A fellow named John reminded me that Nintendo and a bunch of other people applied for a patent many years ago for the music battle system used in MOTHER 3.

You can see more pics and info in the entire patent file right here:

I think we first discovered this in 2004, around the time MOTHER 1+2 was first announced: Patent info on Starmen.Net. I also seem to recall that we might’ve found an even earlier version of this patent, but it’s been so long I don’t remember.

I haven’t gone through the file in very much detail, let me know if you guys find anything neat or strange in there!

10 Comments to Nintendo’s MOTHER 3-related Patent

blahmoomoo said on Mar. 27, 2012

It’s interesting to see a picture of the GameCube in it… Also, the patent seemed to have ideas of a visible pendulum, complete failure to attack if missing the timed queue, and increased EXP when the timed queues are done right (none of these were in Mother 3).

I didn’t read the whole thing, but these must have been ideas for the battle system that were refined later in production. It’s interesting to see the early ideas for it.

RandomGuardian said on Mar. 27, 2012

Hmmmm timed pendulum, hypno pendulum? I don’t know, could I be over thinking everything?

Mel said on Mar. 27, 2012

Did they have plans to do something with the gamecube or something? O_O

Anonymous said on Mar. 27, 2012

I remember reading somewhere that that was intended to be the way you get the 16 hit combo. The circles would blink in orderfrom left to right. then when it gets to the middle you click. Every time it gets faster and faster.
As for the gamecube. From what i see im pretty sure that was just to show off the gamecube some new mechanics for the for the system. It has nothing to do with mother 3 realy.

KingOfSwords said on Mar. 27, 2012

I love how the second example beat pattern is the first five notes of Fate’s pattern.

KingOfSwords said on Mar. 27, 2012

Anonymous said on Mar. 27, 2012

This is pretty fascinating, thanks.

The Dude said on Mar. 29, 2012

I think do recall seeing pics with Zelda Windwaker graphics (aka really animated graphics) but, theres 64 and it confuses me.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Mar. 30, 2012

I can’t upload the English patent for some unknown reason.

R7038xx said on Apr. 3, 2012

The Dude, those were fan art.