March 21st, 2012 | MOTHER 3

I just stumbled upon this on Amazon Japan, anyone know what’s up with it?

Book cover

Apparently there’s a whole bunch more too:

I’ve heard that there’s a trend of copying Wikipedia articles into PDF format and such for sale, I can only assume that’s what’s going on here. Anybody know, or have more insight?

16 Comments to MOTHER 3 Translation on Amazon Japan?

Miles of SmashWiki said on Mar. 21, 2012

Wikia’s trying to make a quick buck off the articles on its lackluster EarthBound wiki by selling printouts. If anyone really wanted them, they could just print them on their own.

And besides, WikiBound is more reliable anyway.

Z-Master said on Mar. 21, 2012

Yup. It seems to be that. It can even be a printed file. The problem is that the licence of Wikipedia articles actually allows this, and people actually buy this. :/

questionsleep said on Mar. 21, 2012

Wikipedia itself offers PDFs and physical books of series of articles. For example:

Mato said on Mar. 21, 2012

What would be in these particular “books”, though? Just random words from whatever lists they crawled? Or actual articles?

BigDream said on Mar. 21, 2012

Probably wanting nothing but one word.
Actually one sentence.
To steal people’s MONEY.

DD said on Mar. 21, 2012

That’s a really weird way of making a profit. The next thing you know, people will try to sell print outs of fan-fiction…

Mato said on Mar. 21, 2012

/me gets to work on that brilliant idea

RandomGuardian said on Mar. 22, 2012

Bizarre… So they essentially are selling print outs of articles? I am so confused. Why would anyone do that?

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 22, 2012

@RandomGuardian It looks like they’re just trying to scam people so they can get money they probably don’t deserve.

16bitKaiju said on Mar. 22, 2012

I’ve seen a couple of books like these on Godzilla films , most likely wikipedia articles printed onto paper and bound into books like you guys said.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Mar. 22, 2012

Since when did “DONT CARE” have to with M3? And why would you sell an English book on Amazon Japan? Seriously, don’t have random names from M3 that start with the first letters of the alphabet on the COVER, put in a table of contents. I’m guessing a couple of people wanted to make money over a poorly made book just because they can. JERKS!

I also don’t like the fact that Wikia is just SELLING PAPER COVERED WITH UNSATISFYING INFO THAT ISN’T EVEN GOOD TO RECOMEND LOOKING AT. What is the world coming to? We are creating our own destruction, know it, getting more hungry for portraits of Ben Frainklin, and getting stupider too. I can’t even do anything about it.

Poe said on Mar. 22, 2012

“Don’t care” is an option on the naming screens.

Ninten=ness said on Mar. 22, 2012

Wikibound actually put alot of detail into Ninten and co.s favorite stuff, and life style, so i find earthbound wiki lame. plus it’s partnered with bulbapedia, and mario wiki, two things i loved, before i knew of mother.

LakituAl said on Mar. 22, 2012

Quick mates: Go search GIMP on Wikipedia and see how fast you come across that flower pic. They’re that shameless, really?

Johnwalt said on Mar. 22, 2012

Wow…. That’s just rediculous! Why would someone even buy that? D:

Angryrider said on Mar. 23, 2012

It’s not Wikipedia that’s selling these books, it’s some sleazy publishing house operating under a variety of names. Type just about anything and there will be a print book for it by that company. Amazon said they would stop selling this crap at one point, but they’ve obviously reneged on that promise.