Earthbound (SNES)

March 16th, 2012 | EarthBound, Videos

I have a SERIOUS backlog of submission e-mails, going back all the way to 2009. I constantly feel bad for not posting everything, so I’m going to attempt to go through the backlog over time by doing more of these mini-update updates.

Now let us journey back to the year 2009 – the year I started EarthBound Central!

Perverted Video Game Moments

Frank.d says:

somebody did list of sexual and perverted moments in gaming history list and mother 3:s oxygen machine was in it 😀

Old Comics

Poe sent these links:

Patient Dad & Non-Existent Phones

Rufus sent:

While I was tinkering around with some unknowns in the ROM, I found out that if you wait around long enough, Ness’ dad will call you before you even leave your room.

Try it. Just wait around in Ness’ room right after starting a new game, and sure enough, he’ll call.

If you don’t feel like waiting, I made a patch to cut Ness’ dad’s timer down to about 15-20 seconds between each call. He’ll call immediately as you wake up, though. I’m sending the patch attached through this blog submission form, so if it doesn’t get through alright, let me know and I’ll just upload it somewhere.

I suppose this is more of an oversight of the testers than a glitch, but it’s something to put up on this blog of yours if you want.

I can’t blame the testers though. Who would’ve thought Ness’ dad would call you before your adventure even starts? =/

PS: I have no idea what filetypes are allowed so I’m renaming the .ips to a .txt

PPS: blarg, okay, that didn’t work. Just pop open a hex editor on the ROM, seek to 0x786D, overwrite ’97 06′ bytes with ’05 00′, seek to 0xB8C3, same thing.

Gymnopédie Stuff

MW sent:

As you know, MOTHER3 used a lot of references to little-known classical music pieces. The song, “Leder’s GymnopĂ©dies” is taken from Erik Satie’s GymnopĂ©die No. 1.

However, there are three Gymnopédies in all, and the fandom has only heard one. You should spend a post talking about them.

Don’t worry about copyright issues for this music. Erik Satie’s collection should be well into public domain by now.

EarthBound Remixes

Dan sent:

Just thought this might be worth a link on your music subsection.

Videos about EarthBound’s suckage

Chmera sent:

I do not hate EarthBound, I even have a huge EB collection in my room, but I decided to go to youtube and search “EarthBound sucks” just to see how many idiots there are, sadly there was an enourmous amount of results, I think this would make a decent post because it just goes to show that a ton of people can’t appreciate good games anymore.

Lucas in Scribblenauts (not really)

Greenzsx87 sent:

You may or may not have seen this yet.
Just something for a slow day. It’s a collage of famous game characters with the Scribblenauts design, and Lucas happens to be in there. Found the image on Kotaku.

Enjoy~

Mother 3 Love Theme in Mario Paint

Poe sent this video in by TomBobBlender:

That’s all for now! I’m still only up to July of 2009, this backlog is gonna take a long time 😯

8 Comments to Mini-Update Megathon #3

Radic said on Mar. 16, 2012

That was very disturbing.

Canama said on Mar. 16, 2012

As for the “EarthBound sucks” thing:

People are entitled to dislike things that you don’t! I ove EarthBound, but I agree that it’s not perfect and it’s not my FAVORITE GAME EVER 11/10!!!!-type titles by any means! You cannot claim a game is objectively good. For example, the greatest game of all time (IMO) is Metroid Prime, but someone can dislike or even hate it for plenty of valid reasons (too much backtracking, artifact hunt is irritating, mostly too easy with some bosses that are too hard, THE GODDAMN LOWER PHAZON MINES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA), and they’re no more wrong about it being a sucky game than I am right about it being the greatest game ever! They’re certainly not idiots, and *I* would be wrong for referring to them as such. Meanwhile, I feel that Super Metroid is a bit overrated, but I’m no more right or wrong about that than the people who say it’s the best game ever.

tl;dr EarthBound fanbase, stop acting like elitest assholes.

Now, as a disclaimer, I did not actually look up the videos in question. If they were spreading mistruths or whatnot, that’s a different matter.

Canama said on Mar. 16, 2012

“People are entitled to dislike things that you don’t!” sounds really unwieldily, sorry about that. I didn’t notice how awkward that wording was until after I posted.

Radic said on Mar. 16, 2012

^ ^ I agree. I have been watching this set for around a year now and (Not disclosing myself) get very PO’d at people who’s opinionions are different then ours. I have been hurt too.

DD said on Mar. 16, 2012

I’d have to say the oxygen machines are probably the least perverse moment than the rest of that video. O.o

Ness said on Mar. 16, 2012

Umm, Lucas in the hotspring ring a bell?

tintinophile691 said on Mar. 17, 2012

I tried searching games with similar popularity, like Conker sucks, Banjo-Kazooie sucks, FF6 sucks, Terranigma sucks (which I know are NOT true), but they usually only have three or four troll videos.

As for perverse moments in video games, why didn’t Breath of Fire II show up?

Ninten=ness said on Mar. 22, 2012

And yet no trolling on mother 3 videos…. Perhaps it is the best mother game.

Find Merchandise!