MOTHER 3 in Retro Gamer
March 6th, 2012 | Auctions
It’s been a long while since I last did a Merch Watch update, here are some interesting items for collectors!
For the past few months, I’ve been slowly slimming my collection of stuff and selling it on eBay, including some interesting and rare EarthBound/MOTHER items. This week I’m selling an infamous EarthBound advertisement that still has scratch-n-sniff smells intact!
A long time ago I wrote an article about EarthBound’s marketing campaign, if you missed it you can read all about it here. Now you can actually own a piece of that bizarre marketing:
The infamous “This Game Stinks” marketing slogan
And a lesser-known slogan for the game is “EarthBound – it’s like living inside your gym shoes.”
These ads also came with $10 off coupons for the game, but this one was used long ago. I had managed to convince my mom to buy it when it came out because of that coupon, but the store (I think it was Sears or JCPenney) almost didn’t accept it because it looked fake. I wonder if that happened with anyone else. I’d love to hear other people’s stories about these ads and the coupons, so please share!
Items of Days Gone By
I haven’t been keeping up with these merch watch things lately, so a couple really hot items slipped by while I wasn’t looking:
Man, and we thought it was crazy when an EarthBound poster sold for $1225 just a couple months ago 😯
This is another item of mine, MOTHER 3 is the main feature of this issue but it has tons of other Nintendo stuff from back in 2006. I’ve always felt Nintendo Dream has a lot more heart to it than most other Japanese gaming mags, check it out to see what I mean.
The other day I posted about Shigesato Itoi’s bass fishing games. This is your chance to own a copy of the Super Famicom version for only $4.40!
That’s all for now! If you find anything cool or interesting on eBay, let me know and I’ll post about it!
Other Related Posts:
9 Comments to Merch Watch for Mar. 6, 2012
Featured Item on eBay:
RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...